OT: How many greenies does it take to change a working light bulb?

Really?

How about my attic light, that I turn on for maybe 15 minutes per year. It is far more economical for me to use a 25C bulb there.

And my reading lamp next to me, in the winter I prefer the bit of extra heat, I can keep the house a bit cooler. I'm enjoying the heat of a 100Watt incanescent bulb even as I type this.

So you really think some politician knows better than you do, whats best for you?

Reply to
makolber

On Fri, 6 May 2016 08:26:47 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Gave us:

Nope. 100% LED is a selling point and value increaser when selling a home. Incandescent is a fire hazard, at best. There is no reason not to put out the wee wittle bit of cash for it, Economical? 15 minutes per year at ten times the power means the bulb change would still end up paying for itself. And the lighting situation is far batter and far safer. So even if you are not smart enough to get why, you eyes will thank you.

If you are so close to your reading lamp that you can feel the heat it puts out, you are A, too close, and B using too high a wattage bulb.

Now you act like a bit of radiated warmth on your face is enough to warm the room and keep you legs and feet warm as well.

Not unless it is an old arc lamp for getting a tan with.

Uhuh... sure bub.

Doesn't have a goddamned thing to do with any politician. And here I thought you knew a bit about electronics.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Oooh, scented candles! :D 100% beeswax, no less.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Wait! Wait! That's bee exploitation! The bees demand union representation and fair wages!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Most of my home. We have LEDs in the kitchen, CFLs in the basement, and everything else is incandescent. It's likely to stay (mostly) that way for a long time.

Reply to
krw

Mmm, bits of mercury in the oven! Delicious! Now with Vitamin Hg!

I put LED bulbs in my fridge when I realized the incandescent ones heated up the fridge, triggering the compressor. Compact fluorescents (1) contain mercury, and (2) take awhile to brighten up when cold.

Reply to
mrdarrett

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote in news:hkepibl913eiptcuvho84odegr4sci147t 4ax.com:

Reply to
John Doe
[snip]

Good idea! I missed that during my conversions. How about in the freezer? ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 | The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Freezer. Hmm. My fridge has no freezer light, but... post back with your findings! :)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I have a separate (upright) fridge/freezer where the fridge area is small and the freezer is 41" tall.

Ooooof! My kitchen fridge/freezer (Kitchenaid, double-door plus bottom roll-out freezer) _does_ have a freezer light as well... I hadn't noticed :-[ ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

it has everything to do with politicians. No one has ANY objection to switching to better technology lamps voluntarily. I take issue with other people that think they know whats best for me.

Reply to
makolber

It sure doesn't add any heat when the door is closed and the light is off. Any heat it adds when the door is open pales in comparison to the heat gain with the door open.

That aside, most of the new refrigerators now seem to be getting LED lighting.

Reply to
tom

On Fri, 6 May 2016 11:10:18 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

There is no mercury in an LED, you stupid putz. And ANY lamp would be in glass, as in hermetically sealed AWAY from the oven cavity.

Nice try, though. Come back when you mentality rises above that of a ten year old.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's been happening for several years. We bought a 'fridge in '08 that had LED lighting.

Reply to
krw

Do you use 40W(equiv) LED bulbs? Who's the best mfg for these?

Martin Riddle

The Combat by Edwin Muir

It was not meant for human eyes, That combat on the shabby patch Of clods and trampled turf that lies Somewhere beneath the sodden skies For eye of toad or adder to catch.

And having seen it I accuse The crested animal in his pride, Arrayed in all the royal hues Which hide the claws he well can use To tear the heart out of the side.

Body of leopard, eagle's head And whetted beak, and lion's mane, And frost-grey hedge of feathers spread Behind -- he seemed of all things bred. I shall not see his like again.

As for his enemy there came in A soft round beast as brown as clay; All rent and patched his wretched skin; A battered bag he might have been, Some old used thing to throw away.

Yet he awaited face to face The furious beast and the swift attack. Soon over and done. That was no place Or time for chivalry or for grace. The fury had him on his back.

And two small paws like hands flew out To right and left as the trees stood by. One would have said beyond a doubt That was the very end of the bout, But that the creature would not die.

For ere the death-stroke he was gone, Writhed, whirled, into his den, Safe somehow there. The fight was done, And he had lost who had all but won. But oh his deadly fury then.

A while the place lay blank, forlorn, Drowsing as in relief from pain. The cricket chirped, the grating thorn Stirred, and a little sound was born. The champions took their posts again.

And all began. The stealthy paw Slashed out and in. Could nothing save These rags and tatters from the claw? Nothing. And yet I never saw A beast so helpless and so brave.

And now, while the trees stand watching, still The unequal battle rages there. The killing beast that cannot kill Swells and swells in his fury till You'd almost think it was despair.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Costco had a 10-pack of 60W equivalent (9.5W actual) daylight (5000K) LED bulbs for $25 for a pack of 10. I want to say Feit brand but I'm not certain.

I thought the 60W bulbs were too bright actually, so I bought some 40W ones from Home Depot before I realized they were actually *more* expensive (about $3 each instead of $2.50 each) so I returned those.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I picked up a couple of Sylvaina 60W (9w) They seem to work well, But I see it's sort of hit-and-miss on reliability. So I was wondering what others are using for the 40W range cause thats what I need now.

Martin Riddle

On 5/6/2016 6:42 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: [...]

There are no federal laws regarding lawn care as long as disease vectors (quail, sage grouse, giant hawgs, elk, for instance) have not made their home there. Then it's different. In Texas, however, illegal immigrants can find cover in tall grass so it has become necessary to make and enforce lawn mowing ordinances to prevent raping and terrorisming:

If you carry a gun then you can shoot the grass down and turn the immigrants out into the open. Texas is an open carry grass-shootin' state.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Instead, they can hand the bulb to a mathematician, who reduces the problem to a previously solved riddle.

--
Many thanks,

don lancaster