OT: How many greenies does it take to change a working light bulb?

How many greenies does it take to change a working light bulb?

Answer. Seventeen:

One to claim the light is out, when it really isn't.

One to observe the light is still working but is afraid to tell anyone.

One to falsify light 'data' observed from the active bulb.

One to call the claim 'science' because he really 'believes' it will make him rich.

One to report the light is out when they're just too stupid to know.

One to threaten anyone who claims the light is still working.

One to pay the light bulb changer from tax revenues.

One to 'kick-back' some of that payment to any politician passing supporting laws.

One to promise to vote for anyone passing a supporting law.

One to promise to make it unlawful to deny the light is out.

One to promise the new light will work better than the old light, when it really won't.

One to demonstrate at any event held by a denier.

One to claim the entire planet is at risk because of a denier.

One to claim the entire solar system is at risk because of a denier.

One to claim the entire galaxy is at risk because of a denier.

One to claim the known universe is at risk because of a denier.

One to claim the entire unknown universe is at risk because of a denier. ...Jim Thompson

Worst President EVER declares, "Donald Trump is not equipped to
deal with the challenges of being president" >:-}

Eighteen.

You forgot one to invent a replacement that doesn't work as well as, costs more than, and is more environmentally hazardous than the original.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

On Thu, 5 May 2016 20:20:33 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@bid.nes" Gave us:

You must mean an RoHS version!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 5 May 2016 20:20:33 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@bid.nes" Gave us:

You must mean an RoHS version!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yep. I have a large box that I'm going to put out at the curb, "FREE Incandescent and CFL Light Bulbs"

I'm at about 95% LED... just some closed fixtures to convert. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

The fact that Dubbya made serious mistakes doesn't necessarily blind him to the obvious. A stopped clock is right twice a day.

In fact the quote seems to come from Obama, who is a non-starter in the com petition to be the worst president ever. Hoover's reaction to the Wall Stre et crash played out a lot worse than Obama's to the GFC, and Obama hasn't w asted billions on a futile war, as Dubbya did.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson won't be aware of any of this.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Spoken like a true Prod. I guess you sing "The Sash" every breakfast time.

Reply to
sean.c4s.vn

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote in news:k54oib5rv5gm4rs89itsrnebt21a6barqo 4ax.com:

Reply to
John Doe

osts more than, and is more environmentally hazardous than the original.

Fluorescent lights were invented long before environmentalism was an issue. The development of the compact fluorescent lamp - small enough to replace an incandescent bulb - depended on the development of a compact starter, an d the drive to do so was as much the superior life-time of the compact fluo rescent bulb as its lower power consumption per lumen. Again, the greenies didn't have any influence.

Throwing out incandescent light bulbs make sense - they burn enough extra e lectricity per unit light that it really is cheaper to replace them with ei ther LED or CFL bulbs. The extra capital cost per lumen of LED lamps over C FL probably means that it isn't economically sensible to throw out CFL bulb s until they reach end-of-life. If your significant other doesn't like the slow turn-on of CFL bulbs, economics may not come into it.

The touchstone of this particular liberal is intolerance of ignorance, and Jim Thompson is remarkably ignorant.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I thought greenies don't believe in electricity, and go to sleep when the sun sets.

Michael

Reply to
gabrieldarrett

The Philips SL18s used the same glowstarter that had been in widespread use in linear fluorescent lighting since the 1960s.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

s, costs more than, and is more environmentally hazardous than the original .

sue. > > The development of the compact fluorescent lamp - small enough to replace

,

se in linear fluorescent lighting since the 1960s.

Perhaps, but they were hideously non-compact. You could plug them into some existing sockets, but they weren't easy to use as replacements for existin g incandescent bulbs. I bought quite a few of the, but used them in basemen ts, garage space and outhouses.

They wouldn't pass the spouse test for indoor use (except in under-stairs c upboards), and really represent a Philips attempt to hang onto some of thei r market when confronted by competitor's products which did have a compact starter when these hit the market in the 1980's.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You never ran into the scented candles?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Fri, 6 May 2016 04:50:50 -0000 (UTC), John Doe Gave us:

The top posting, stalking,group adding Usenet retard John Doe is back.

It was posted twice, idiot, so you cannot even count. Also it was not posted twice by me. The times are the same.. So how did I post it twice at the same time, you retarded piece of shit?

Frank Capra would want a putz like you dead.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

as, costs more than, and is more environmentally hazardous than the origin al.

issue. > > The development of the compact fluorescent lamp - small enough t o replace

er,

use in linear fluorescent lighting since the 1960s.

so the development of the CFL did not depend on the development of a compac t starter

ng sockets, but they weren't easy to use as replacements for existing incan descent bulbs. I bought quite a few of the, but used them in basements, gar age space and outhouses.

they certainly became more compact with electronic ballasts, but they were still CFLs from the start.

cupboards), and really represent a Philips attempt to hang onto some of th eir market when confronted by competitor's products which did have a compac t starter when these hit the market in the 1980's.

I'm fairly sure their CFLs were a new market for Philips. Doubtless we coul d uselessly & pointlessly argue the semantics.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Three hundred million approximately. When I was was in business I used flou rescent lighting because it was more efficient and it lasted longer. Then t hy f***ed it all up. The old 40 watt were not 32 watt or whatever, and they did not last as long. And then all you could get was those "energy saving" ballasts. Those were even more short lived.

Jim, I know you are an engineer and don't think like regular people, and I know you question AGW as I do, like, it is real but just how much ? Do we n eed to wreck the economy for this while China does whatever the f*ck they w ant ?

Now lightbulbs will go into the landfills. On each box of those bulbs is a symbol saying do not just throw this in the trash, you must take it to a re cycling center, AND NOT GET PAID, like you do for beer cans. People are not going to do that. When microwave ovens first came out there was a thing on the side that siad if you do not register this unit with the government yo u are subject to a $10,000 fine and ten years in prison. Nobody complied an d nobody is in prison. They don't have the space because they have to lock up someone who sold a nickel bag of weed.

This government is dead set on keeping the jails full. One day, not mowing your lawn will be a felony and then you can't carry a gun anymore. We are g etting way too close to that.

Reply to
jurb6006

there is nothing wrong with the ongoing development and deployment of CFL and LED lighting on a voluntary basis.

The only issue anyone has is that the politicians chose to make the sale of incandescents illegal.

There are many applications in my home where incandescents are still the better choice.

Reply to
makolber

:

ll

ugh

ad use in linear fluorescent lighting since the 1960s.

act > starter

The Philips SL18 isn't all that compact, and the fact that the glowstarter had been around since the 1960's does suggests that it wasn't compact enoug h to persuade Philips to pioneer compact fluorescent lamps.

When whoever it was did develop a more compact starter, Philips used the gl owstarter in their me-too reaction, so the genuinely compact starter probab ly did kickstart the CFL.

ting > > sockets, but they weren't easy to use as replacements for existing

e still CFLs from the start.

I prefer to see them as clumsy example of a not-particular compact folded f luorescent tube. It took a genuinely compact starter to create the market, with Philips tagging on behind.

rs cupboards), and really represent a Philips attempt to hang onto some of their market when confronted by competitor's products which did have a comp act starter when these hit the market in the 1980's.

uld > uselessly & pointlessly argue the semantics.

Or we could do some historical research

The Philips SL18 could well have been Philips' first entry in the compact f luorescent lamp market.

Our house in the Netherlands had Osram CFL's as outside lights, which were a whole lot more compact, but the starter (while compact) was separate from the bulb, and the lamps weren't any kind of plug-in replacement for incand escent lamps.

The house was built in 1936, and the outside lights would have been added i n the 1980's - we bought the place in 1993. When I had to replace the Osram tubes (every few years) I was initially buying Osram (German) parts, but P hilips (Dutch) ended up sticking their logo on identical parts (which proba bly came from the same Chinese factory that made the Osram parts).

The Philips brothers were nephews of Karl Marx - Karl Marx's mother owned a house in Nijmegen. It got bombed out of existence by the Americans early i n 1944 (by mistake - they though that they were bombing Dusseldorf which is further up the Rhine) but there's a plaque on the wall of the modern house on the site.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

uorescent lighting because it was more efficient and it lasted longer. Then thy f***ed it all up. The old 40 watt were not 32 watt or whatever, and th ey did not last as long. And then all you could get was those "energy savin g" ballasts. Those were even more short lived.

I know you question AGW as I do, like, it is real but just how much ?

In other words, he is as pig-ignorant as you are on the subject. Jim probab ly is clever enough to get his head around the science, if he wanted to, bu t he's a red-neck, and only worries about stuff that will get him paid by t he people who have paid him money before.

ck they want ?

Jim won't have a clue, any more than you do, but AGW is real. We don't need to f*ck the economy cut it back, but we do need to spend some money on mov ing to energy sources that don't depend on burning fossil carbon as fuel an d dumping the CO2 in the atmosphere.

China is big enough to do whatever the f*ck they want, but they do seem to be more interested in investing renewable energy, and selling cheap photovo ltaic cells to the rest of the world, than the US is.

About a decade or so ago, German tooled up to make ten times as many solar cells as anybody else, so they could sell them for half the price, and bank rupt pretty much everybody else.

More recently China pulled exactly the same trick, even though it meant inv esting ten times as much, and bankrupted the German solar cell industry.

There should be some clever American venture capitalist gearing up to do th e same thing - another factor of ten would still leave us only getting 10% of our power from solar cells - but there are easier ways of making money i n the USA, like lying about the reality of anthropogenic global warming.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Fri, 6 May 2016 05:57:44 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Gave us:

Not!

They are still needed in hot locations, like the interior of an oven, but that still does not make them a "better choice". It only means that no one has designed a hot environment version yet.

Everywhere else, however, LED is a far better choice, and I know as I have them everywhere, including the lab.