(OT) How did those old gas station bells work? (2023 Update)

Here is a you tube explanation for the old bells.

Dan

Hydraulic bells may have been common somewhere, and I can see how they would work - but they were unheared of here. As often as we replaced the air hoses, the oilw ould have been all over the apron.

Reply to
clare

That's how the electric ones worked.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Reply to
Kathy Kehoe

Kathy Kehoe snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The hoses were air filled with capped ends, and the pressure differential flipped a switch and that powered a solenoid which then struck the bell.

Same thing for road lane vehicle counting machines which cops put out in place to place from time to time.

Air works just fine.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

tirsdag den 24. maj 2022 kl. 18.19.28 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

quantum vacuum. When the car rolled over the hose it collapsed the wave function and a muon was fired down the hose. The round thing at the end of the hose, mounted on a wall usually, accelerated the muon to super luminal speeds at which point thousands of leptons were released and when they hit your head, it made you think there was a ringing sound due to the observer effect.

Reply to
John Sanders