OT: Hilarious item of the day

OT: Hilarious item of the day...

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Meaning in gothic script?

Reply to
cameo

I have no idea. Arabic numbers are what we all use... 1..2..3... etc

Maybe he wants to go back to Roman Numerals ?:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

The ancient Romans aren't available to license the use of their numerals. Instead, I think the mayor can make a deal with Irael for the use of Hebraic numerals, which are actually just Hebrew letters used as numbers, with the MSB and LSB in reversed order:

What ever happened to French Fries being replaced by Freedom Fries?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Went the same way as *New* Coke ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

No necessary since the Arabs got it from the Hindus.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You mean "Belgian Fries"?

Reply to
krw

I was just struck with a "man on the street" episode... have Jesse Watters interview college students for their opinion of eliminating Arabic numerals... ought to be hilarious... our average college student's IQ is now just one shade of brown above that of a cow patty

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Are those decimal? They probably borrowed them from the Phoenicians.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I wonder why Jim thinks that? The IQ tests that told Jim that he was clever (when he was younger) now tell us that the rising generation is a lot cleverer than we were.

What Jim is probably complaining about - though he's too pig-ignorant to realise it - is that the average college student doesn't believe the nonsense that Jim takes seriously.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

DISCLAIMER.....

I do not respond to bloviating posters who exhibit an IQ one or more shades of brown *below* that of a cow patty.

However, if said bloviator will submit to a certified IQ test (as I will), I'll reconsider >:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Not decimal. We gave up trying to bash the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet into something usable for decimal numbers. It was too much of a mess: For decimals, we simply stole the Arabic numbering system. I don't think the Arabs have forgiven us for doing that. It was difficult enough modernizing the language and I suspect that borrowing the Arabic number system was the path of least resistance:

I'm not sure if France really needs decimal numbers. The German Enigma cipher machine of WWII didn't have any number keys and worked well enough by simply spelling out the numbers in words. I think France could use that today, as long as nobody mentions that it came from Germany:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Only an under-informed fossil like Jim would think that IQ tests did much m ore than indicate your capacity to shovel up information when it was dumped on you by an educational institution.

Jim claims to have scored tolerably high on IQ tests when he was younger, b ut his capacity for understanding the real world is revealed by his enthusi asm for Trump and Joe Arpaio - both prize examples of the kinds of characte r defects that do well in politics and badly in government.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to