OT, heavy thoughts

Did you ever notice how sensitive you are to how much something weighs? I mean, if you pick something up, and it's not the right weight, it can be startling. So there must be a section of your brain that computes weight based on memory of materials and visual volumetric computations and stuff, with feedback from muscles. So I bet there are people, maybe after having a mini-stroke, who lose that specific skill. And I'm sure some people are just naturally good or bad about that.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

hnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

I''ve always wanted to 'score' a nice piece of Tungsten. Just to 'get the heft' of it. (Did you ever read "Uncle Tungsten", Oliver Sachs)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I don't think that's a brain function... other than your back signaling the brain... WHOA!

Best thing I ever bought was a lift table...

http:/

Two truckers could barely struggle the pallet into my backyard.

I recently used it to change out a wine refrigerator ;-) Store loaded refrigerator onto my pick-em-up truck. At home, I wheeled the lift table up to the truck, jacked it up level with the truck bed, slid it onto lift table, lowered it, wheeled it around to the back door, slid pallet off into kitchen. ...Jim Thompson

Incwww.highlandtechnology.com  jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

I hefted a small puck of tungsten carbide at the Photonics West show. It was startling.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

long time ago, I was working during school holidays at a company producing car parts. I worked at the warehouse for incoming parts. Somebody throwed a tiny parcel to me: catch it! It was a very heavy parcel, because it was completely filled with small tungsten disks used for the interruptor contacts of the spark ignition of the car motor. Tungsten is much heavier than the same volume of lead.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Fred Bloggs

We used to do this in school:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel
.

Somebody threw a tiny parcel to me...

throw threw thrown throwing throws

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Incwww.highlandtechnology.com  jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

That's tragic, wasting beer like that.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I have a couple of chunks of it (leftovers from a job in semi- aerospace). They're great fun to hand to people -- they'd be even more fun if I'd machine some like-sized chunks of aluminum.

I had a prof in school who had matching aluminum and tungsten chunks, and who had visually-identical rubber balls, one of which was bouncy as all heck and the other of which was 'dead'. Both were very engaging brain- exercisers.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

hnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

There are some pretty sophisticated adaptive control systems in our brains, which enable a mixture of feed-forward and feed-back to control our body parts. When things change, there is a period of adaptation before they work with the previous convergence speed. This applies even in cases where the load is very close to constant (eyeball tracking). In this last case, researchers have determined quite a bit about the dynamics of the adaptive processes.

Estimating weights based on size is, of course, a completely different part of the problem.

Reply to
cassiope

I had an opposite experience. In my first "professional relocation" (i.e., folks paid to do that sort of thing), the crew that accompanied the driver were a real burly lot. "Tame gorillas". I.e., there were very few pieces (furniture, refrigerator, etc.) that weren't carried out by a *single* gorilla ^H^H^H, er, "guy".

Except for this one *small* box sitting in the middle of the floor in the storeroom. The box from a case of beer.

*Each* guy would reach down with ONE HAND to pick it up -- while busy holding something else in the other (or thrown over a shoulder): "Small box. Should be lightweight..."

Each would then find his hand stuck to the floor (refusing to let go of the box).

Each would then "leave it for the next guy".

The last of which realized he'd need *both* hands to lift it.

"What the hell do you have *in* this box??"

(iron cores for very large mains transformers :> )

Reply to
Don Y

Minor complaints: those Dremels on the glass table give me goose pimples and, --- much more important,

that .pdf is somehow incomplete.. A picture of the BBQ in action is badly missing. And the results of the action. :-) Efforts must be balanced by rewards...

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

That bothered Joerg, too. But that was just a posed shot... no scratching ;-)

I can do that :-) ...Jim Thompson

I stood up out of bed this morning and thought to myself "f*ck I am getting fat!"

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

There's a changing expectation aspect too. A museum in Cleveland had a demonstration consisting of a wooden box, open on one side, but closed on all other sides, with three cartons with handles in it. The instructions were to pick up the three cartons in succession. The first was of medium weight, the second heavier. On picking up the third, most people would bang their hands on the top of the box, because the third carton was lightest of all.

--
John
Reply to

Any more, if I have to lift something for the first time (furniture, etc.) I first give it a gentle sideways shove (as if to tip it over, but not all the way) to estimate its inertial mass. Keeps me from throwing my back out. Again.

Kinda like tapping a wire with the back of the hand to see if it's live, you see.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Fred Bloggs schrieb:

Hello,

thank you for the correction. I hope there were not too many others errors.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

None that I saw. Your english is much superior to my german.

Reply to
Dennis

Done throwed...

Reply to