OT: Heat wave.....

Wow, 82F and its only 9AM EST

And the weather guy said it was going to be considerably cooler along the coast

Jim would be proud. This feels like Arizona.

Martin Riddle

I don't know where you are writing from, but if anywhere near the east coast or the great lakes area in the north, what I've hated more is the humidity that was thrown into the mix. At least in Arizona it usually is more of a dry heat, which you can kind of escape from by getting under some shade and evaporating some sweat. Luckily, I live in western Oregon just north of 45N. We don't get the double-whammy combinations that I've felt either in Chicago or Washington D.C., for example.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Naaah! In Arizona 82°F is cool and very pleasant. On the East coast

82°F+ will be humid, sweaty and uncomfortable.

It's supposed to reach 83°F here today (presently 63°F/16% at 8:22AM)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

9AM, 60F in San Francisco. We have the heat on.

John

92 degrees and 13% humidity in the Noo Yawk Burbs yesterday--a bit moister today but about the same temp. Last week the highs were in the low 50s.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Whew! At least the lower humidity helps.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

I seem to recall that Portland and the Willamette Valley was in the high 90s with high humidity back in 2006. That was mighty uncomfortable! Cross the mountains over to the coast and a jacket was needed. Come to think of it, the past 3 times I drove through the Willamette, it was in the 90s - even in September.

Reply to
qrk

Yes, there are those times. However, I can't remember any of them being like Chicago gets almost every year at times. (Plus, we don't have nasty insects like the South. Even the mosquitos ask you for permission before biting. And there aren't a lot of them, besides.)

We've had some serious changes during summertime, in the last decade or more. I grew up here and used to experience a silver thaw every two years or so. I got 15 stitches over my eye, one time, because I slipped and hit a single, frozen blade of grass. Other times, I'd go out on Moch's Crest and watch power stations blow up at 2AM at night as the warm air arrived and began some melting and crashing of ice. Haven't seen one since 1981, though there have been one or two in outlying areas since then I hear. But I'm talking about change in frequency in the city, itself.

Mt. Hood has lost 50% of mass from its 11 glaciers in the last 30 years (I've had personal conversations with the two active scientists who monitor it each year, one of them who goes up every year and walks around taking measurements) and in the late summer almost has no apparent snow cover. I have pictures from the same time during the year (August and September) but many years back, when I never saw such exposed earth there, to compare with pictures I now take every year at the same time and from the same place near where I live (good view, because I'm only 15 miles away.)

Precipitation appears to be similar where I live, just that there is more of it in the winter and less in the summer, and we are losing our ice pack as a fresh water storage supply in the summertime and seeing somewhat more rowdy rivers (the Deschutes, for example) during certain times.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Out on the Island here, its usually cooler and not as humid. The temperatures cooled off into the 70's in the afternoon. Turned out to be nice, clear skies and low humidity. Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I still haven't used the A/C this year, but I've used it 24/7 this time of year for the previous nine years starting around the end of January.

Michael A. Terrell

When I crawled up Mt. Jefferson ten+ years ago, the big glacier shown in the 1950's topo map was a tiny ice field. It's probably gone by now. I must hit Oregon at the worst times! Just north of Crater Lake, we camped at a spot which put Canadian and Minnesota mosquitoes to shame. The beauty of the place is well worth putting up with the mossies.

--
Mark
Reply to

Hehe. Yes. Mass balance in the Cascades is a serious problem. Part of the reason, as I understand it from speaking with those who actually study it, is that the Cascades in Washington and Oregon have an interesting mix of snow, ice, rock, gravel, and dust. In fact, one of the researchers told me that the Cascades was under special study for its particular mix. Turns out that if there is enough ground cover over ice it acts as an insulator and the ice is protected. If the ice/snow is pristine and clean, then it reflects a lot of the incident light energy and is protected. But if it has a mix in between, some rock and gravel and dust to 'dirty it up' a bit, then it melts at a higher rate.

I wouldn't know, but you are probably right.

Well, you were in the southern part of the state. South of about Eugene, the Willamette Valley peters out into hilly and rough land that graduates eventually into the Siskiyou range that divides California and Oregon. It's distinctly different climate there, warmer as a rule. Up here, where I'm at, it's colder. Closer to Canada and Minnesota temperatures, I suppose.

I love this place, obviously. My own place is a large acreage that looks about like the Mt Hood National Forest. Large Douglas Fir trees, Rhododendrons that bloom at different times and with different colors, several kinds of ferns, moss, lichens, bioluminescent insects and fungi, hiking trails, etc. Soil is wonderful for growing, weather patterns are rarely too hot nor too cold (for a Swede like me, anyway) and there is about 60" of rain a year -- which used to be spread fairly evenly over the year, but seems to be a bit more divided now into summer and winter patterns.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

I'd think that the end of the Ice Age would be a cause for celebration!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

My experience in Philadelphia with April heatwaves: Dewpoints are only in the 50's, less than average for Phoenix or Tucson in July and August.

Still, temperatures getting into the low 90's this early in the year feel hot to me even if the humidity at time of high temperature is only in the 25-30% range.

Don Klipstein