OT: Harbor Freight

A friendly alert that Harbor Freight has 25% Off (any single item) on New Years Day.

They don't pay me to say that, by the way.

I was in today buying their 7x10 mini-lathe (late Xmas toy). It was already on sale so I didn't bother with the discount.

This is my first lathe (for a special project) and I'm dying to try it out.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Harbor Freight occupies the bottom rung price point. Very much like the tools that JC Whitney used to sell.

OK for very occasional use.

I loaned a cow orker my Irwin brand step drill that I had paid a steep price for.

I wasn't getting it back from him anytime soon so I bought the Harbor Freight step drill assortment, for like one tenth the cost of the Irwin.

Every time I used the Harbor Frieght step drill it just felt like crap in the drill press. It just exuded crappiness. Yet it never broke and eventually cut the hole.

Finally I got the Irwin one back a couple weeks ago. Oh, what joy to use that tool again. It just feels "right".

I suspect that Harbor Freight may be turning a whole generation off metalworking by selling crap that just doesn't feel right. Of course if they never use anything better... who's to know?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Unfortunately, the SOBs have exempted many of the items of interest (to me, anyway). They used to frequently have 20% off coupons that were good for almost everything in the store.

Not valid on: Prior purchases, Gift cards, Inside Track Club membership, extended service plans, Compressors, Generators, Tool Cabinets, Welders, Floor Jacks, Campbell Hauseld products, Open box items, Parking Lot Sale items, Blowout Sale items, Day after Thanksgiving Sale items, Tent Sale items.

Enjoy! You can do a lot of good stuff with a small lathe. There are a whole bunch of resources on the net for those Chinese mini-lathes. Eg.

I recently got this one to complement my Sherline (the little Sherline is going under the knife to add 2-axis CNC once the parts arrive):

At 450lbs, a bit of a b**ch to move around.

I was thinking of a getting one of their plastic parts washers (no petroleum solvents permitted- it doesn't have the thermal link to close if there is a fire, and it's made out of plastic, not metal) to use to wash PCBs with isopropanol. Which would be better, that or an ultrasonic cleaner? Opinions?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The Grizzly mini is tempting.

But I'd rather have a lathe/Mill. The prices are a little high, unless I get a Chinese knockoff.

I lost count of the times that I said, " I could make that on a lathe, if I had one "

Martin Riddle

You'll have fun with it. Did you consider the 7x12? The 7x10 is really 200mm, just under 8 inches long. That's mighty cramped. The

7x12 is actually 300mm, a full 4 inches longer--unbelievably nicer when boring or drilling.

Essential reading (for your lathe):

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Cheap/crappy cutting tools in particular can be a nightmare. A few dollars each spent on nice quality carbide lathe bits will probably be more satisfying than the 10 pieces for $8.99 HF "stuff".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

p://

That's a beauty.

I'm pondering this 8x12:

9.html

It looks like the 7x lathes but it's completely different. It's 14 inches, has twice the metal, a much wider bed making it far stiffer, it's loads stronger, has roller spindle bearings instead of balls, is made by another factory from the 7x's, hardened bedways, and it's hand- scraped true and flat out of the box.

I may and I may not. I've got a notion to CNC it, but it's just a notion.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

One strategy that works is to buy a set from HF and then replace the ones that wear out with good bits. The ones replaced are the ones that are used more than once. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Looks like a decent size and weight, hard to tell about the build without seeing one (and HF's lathes are often not ideally displayed, at least in the two stores I frequent). At 25% off probably priced fairly, the list price seems a bit high historically, unless they've changed suppliers for the same SKU.

I suspect you'd need a small amount of fairly serious machining done to properly CNC mod a small lathe- to get ballscrews in there, as well as servo/stepper mounts and couplings. A toy mod, like mine, will have backlash, so it won't be very accurate. A DRO would be nice.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I would guess that the ultrasonics would damage some electronic parts. Use something like a vapor greaser (very easy to make) or a (light) spray washer.

Reply to
Robert Baer

This is the parts washer. At $43 it's practically free.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, no, not really. And you're right - the 7x10 is cramped, to put it nicely. This purchase truly is for a special project I have in mind. The proejct will pay off many times over, so I guess I could upgrade to a better lathe if I fall in love with it.

I will be machineing parts only a couple inches long, so I didn't see the need for the larger units. Plus, the workspace I intend to put it in is a little cramped (though it would probably take a larger lathe) Oh well. Live and learn. This one was on-sale, and I figured it could do the job, so.. there you have it.

- mpm

Reply to
mpm

Be careful with that parts washer. The manual says it is to be used with water-based cleaners only. Don't know if petroleum-based solvents would damage the pump or other parts... caveat-emptor.

Cheers,

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Also a fire hazard (no thermal link in the lid holder). I have a metal one for the petroleum solvents. I was thinking of filling this one with isopropanol.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Eg.http://www.mini-lathe.com/

The one from Grizzly is much better. The Freight listed one here will not do a 28 TPI which is a common thread. Also the Grizzly has more options. The additional price with the added functions is worth it over the freight model..

That's my opinion, I am sure others have their own that differ..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

We place a low profile ESD bin inside ours, and use it with IPA.

No need for the pump. The tank is what gets you acceptance by OSHA, etc.

You should also look into brominated solvents like "Ensolve". More expensive, but far better at the bench and in vats.

It works really well in vapor phase degreasing systems as well, if used properly.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Nice link you added to the "Grizzly Freight" site.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

You'd use it with IPA and not with petroleum??

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"Do not use any highly volatile, flammable or combustible solvents, or fuels such as gasoline, diesel, or toluene. Use only non-corrosive water based solvents"

This is probably the kind of solvent they have in mind for degreasing:

But I suspect IPA will work better for removing rosin flux.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

IPA in open tanks is considered the main fire hazard in IC fabs, iirc. The IBM safety folks always got their shorts in a wad about it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs