OT Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I'm brining a turkey breast, only five of us.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks, Thanksgiving is also nice time because it's the gateway holiday to Christmas, and I've got to tell you something real. About Christmas:

Reply to
bitrex

Don't (or do) eat too much!

We're up in the mountains with six guests and two big storms coming in. Should be fun.

We bought a pre-cooked, smoked turkey which just needs to be finished off in the oven. So no anxiety about cooking the white meat or the dark meat too much or too little. Leftover turkey makes wonderful broth.

I'm going to make my sorta-famous oyster stuffing and the girls are each making a pie. No salad this year!

Thanksgiving is a great American tradition.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We had our family TxG yesterday, since #1 daughter has to work tomorrow. We had two very nice ducks with crispy skin, leek fritters, roasted root vegetables, and three-ginger steamed pudding with custard and/or whipped cream for dessert.

Tomorrow we're going to visit an old friend who has Lou Gehrig's disease.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sounds great. I love duck.

There is panic in the streets of San Francisco: all the stores have run out of heavy cream for making whipped cream. Up here in Truckee, there were two pints left at Safeway, so I took one and left the last for some deserving soul.

Too bad; it's usually terminal. But Hawking had it and lived a full life.

If he wants help with talking, Mo says to see Boston Children's Hospital, ALS center, John Costello. She says to start early so he doesn't lose speech. Might take a couple of visits.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Thanks. He's still living on his own, so it hasn't got that bad yet, but I'll pass that along.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My daughter and wife are cooking the sweet stuff. I mostly a grease and salt guy. There's the gravy! and then whatever I put underneath it. turkey, potato, stuffing, squash...

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh dear, I love duck, but I'm not sure if you can have it in place of turkey. I guess being from Canada and all it's OK. :^)

Ughh, I've only read about it.

dying sucks, for the living at least.

Cheers, George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We had turkey at real (i.e. Canadian) thanksgiving last month. We'll probably have it at Christmas as well, so at American thanksgiving we usually do something a bit different--a nice big pork roast with crackling, or beef, or (in this case) duck.

Yeah, we worked together for ~20 years at IBM. Really a good guy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Brining is said to be the bad way to do it ... Let us know how it turns out.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Ava makes an awesome cranberry salad. Includes apple and citrus chunks.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Oh I've brined a whole turkey, salt works miracles, and you add good tasting stuff, sugar, lemon, garlic pepper, (red and black) bay leaves. boil, simmer, cool and soak for ~12+ hrs. in the frig.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

But the result, the texture? Is it still a turkey?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

No brine but SWMBO is baking one. Only the two of us this year.

Reply to
krw

Thanks, George, and Happy Thanksgiving to you.

I made cranberry sauce early today. Very good. I live alone so I'll just be having a Thanksgiving pizza. The sauce doesn't go well with pizza, though. (sigh)

Reply to
John S

George Herold wrote in news:64f74d6c-9b75-4d52- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Happy thanksgiving to you as well, Mr. Herold.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I had two sliced of pumpkin pie tonight. Not one. Two.

For a New Englander I am getting really wild and crazy and going all out here

Reply to
bitrex

Two slices!! I had one, but then a slice of pumpkin log.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win