OT: Guns

So is it time yet? How many records do we need to set? As best I can find this is a world record for killing people at one time, by one person using guns. There were two greater massacres by one person, Woo Bum-kon in South Korea and Anders Behring Breivik in Norway, but they both also used explosives.

So now the US has the official record.

At one time Australia had the record. The Port Arthur massacre prompted Australia to pass gun legislation so that there has not been a mass shooting in Australia since 1996.

Canada was briefly on the list in 1989 with a mass shooting which also resulted in stronger gun control laws.

We seem to be unable to make the connection between the ready supply of guns and mass shootings.

When will we figure it out?

Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

From a remote view point (Australia) the attitude to guns in the US is incomprehensible.

It seems that the USA is so absolutely saturated with guns that it is well beyond being ever being recoverable.

Good luck guys - buy plenty of candles for the vigils over the coming decades.

Reply to
Trumble

nd

th

ing

uns

The gun used in LV was an illegal full auto purchased on the black market, it is not available on the mass market to everybody. Banning gun ownership by law abiding citizens will do nothing to stop a lunatic from making a bla ck market purchase of an illegal weapon, and that's why the idea is stupid.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Of course a reduction in the legal availability of guns would reduce such black market weapons. As always, look at other countries. In most European countries it is very difficult to get hold of guns other than well-regulated manual rifles for sport, hunting, etc. Even if you are a criminal it is a tough to find someone supplying a simple handgun, and the price will be very high. Everything is relative - because you only need a small handgun to outclass the rival drug gang, there is no need for assault weapons, and therefore very little market for them here.

Black markets always exist, and criminals always exist, but they are dominated by products that are one small step away from the legal markets. If the USA legalised fully automatic assault rifles, the black markets would be selling RPGs, anti-tank guns, etc.

Reply to
David Brown

Nah I doubt it. What's often surprising to me though is how upset even other liberals get when I suggest the solution is "Hey, ever thought about leaving?" Not in a butthurt-my-guy-didn't-win-the-election mopey way but in a way that gives the option serious consideration.

I know a couple other young white guys who left to live in South America or SE Asia and are extremely happy with the decision. Objectively if the situation is just going to become more and more histrionic as time goes on and every four years all I'm going to be offered is the material equivalent of picking between a Clinton and a Trump, between the hardcore globalist left and the aging, wackadoo right that feels Baghdad-levels of random violence are acceptable losses for their right to stockpile weapons then...I gotta say America looks like a lousy deal.

Maybe it isn't if one's older and paid in a ton of money to Social Security and has a large amount of illiquid assets, maybe then it's something you want to "fight" for. Or if one just likes fighting/drama.

That's not most younger people I know. Many are still living at home or in cheap apartments, not buying homes, not starting families. Even many of the guys I know in tech in their late 20s/early 30s are pretty much just banking money. If and when it becomes the right call to make we have limited investment here making it a lot easier to pull the plug and eject, I already see it happening.

And naturally many older Americans of all political affiliations will say "Don't let the door hit you on the way out, asshole! Millennials are such entitled, lazy trash", which would further solidify any normal person's impression that they 100% made the right decision. Only an idiot stays in a place they aren't wanted, yeah?

Reply to
bitrex

The mentality of many Americans is completely incomprehensible to me and I was born here. ;-)

If and when it ever changes it'll probably just come down to a money thing. An America constantly ravaged by violent hurricanes and filled with random gun violence with dozens of casualties monthly is a nation well on its way to being a failed state nation of broke-asses.

Reply to
bitrex

PS: there is a large minority of American citizens who want America to be a failed state because a failed state is the best one to make into an white nationalist ethnostate. If they are determined enough they'll probably get it.

Reply to
bitrex

As our JT has championed here many times

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Never; if Sandy Hook did not make the slightest difference then nothing will.

The best that could be hoped for is a gradual society-wide change in public opinion sufficient to eventually allow a constitutional change. Can't see that happening any time soon.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Wealthy conservative baby boomers who dream of seeing a one party white Christian state before they pass are literally a dime a dozen. At the end of the day though to get it they need young people to do the grunt labor of creating it.

My hope is that most younger people like myself will do the completely natural thing and give 'em the finger and say: "Never treated us like anything but trash for the most part - so what do I owe you."

Reply to
bitrex

And shrugging while dozens of mostly young people get shot to death in mass shootings and saying "Hey, y'know, our freedoms it's the way it is what can ya do" is definitely not a good way to sell anyone on the idea that trash isn't the belief of the day

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote on 10/4/2017 8:51 AM:

You've gone off the deep end with that one. What "large" minority?

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

You haven't been paying attention have you? The guns (note the plurality,

23 guns were in the room) used are standard semi-auto modified to full auto. What did you read that said he bought the guns on the black market? Everything I've read has said he bought the guns legally, which would mean he modified them to full auto himself.
--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Den onsdag den 4. oktober 2017 kl. 18.10.42 UTC+2 skrev rickman:

find

sing

South

ed

ooting

f guns

et, it is not available on the mass market to everybody. Banning gun owners hip by law abiding citizens will do nothing to stop a lunatic from making a black market purchase of an illegal weapon, and that's why the idea is stu pid.

,

to.

afaik violating the NFA by modifying a gun to full auto is already a possib le

10 years in prison felony
Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You watched the Charlottesville tiki-march vids same as I did, right? Definitely more than like, three people showed up

Reply to
bitrex

How many other people are there that feel exactly the same way as the tiki-marchers but couldn't or wouldn't show? 100k? 1 million? 10 million? Say 40-50 million?

Reply to
bitrex

Bump fire. Available everywhere legally. Works on any rifle. Simmple addition that anyone can do. From $99 to over $400. Youtube has great videos.

Devastating. You don't need them to hunt deer or rabbits, only to kill people.

Completely legal.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

See

Lisa Jean AR15 Bump Fire

Anyone can do it.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Yes, I'm sure there are 40 to 50 million "silent majority" types who want to purge everyone from the US who isn't white. I wonder just who that includes? My grandmother felt Indians (not native americans) were "black". I don't know how she felt about native Americans. She didn't go on tirades about getting rid of non-whites but she chided me once when I played with some rough black kids and took a couple of knocks. Heck, they were kids, I wanted to play. I didn't know they had some different rules, lol.

Come back when you have some sort of evidence of your claim. I expect your "large" is well shy of 1% of the US population.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

The population of sociopaths and people medically diagnosable with personality disorders in the US general population is significantly higher than that; likely under 15% but certainly more than 1%.

They wouldn't be into that sort of thing, though. They're too nice!

Reply to
bitrex