OT: Grits

I've disparaged grits before but I tried some at a diner in Rhode Island with cheese and bacon topping - maybe I was just really hungry that morning or these were prepared better than I'd had before but I gotta say prepared this way there's a lot to be said for this stuff.

For the New Year I rescind my opinion on grits

Reply to
bitrex

Even saw dust with cheese and bacon topping would be good.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Hmm, lemme get back to you.

Reply to
bitrex

Texan waitress who takes the order: "Hominy?"

Non-Texan patrons: "Well, there's five of us and we all want grits".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I eat grits for breakfast at least three times a week... love 'em! ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

:-) Took me a couple of seconds to get that.

I first heard of grits in the comedy film 'My Cousin Vinnie'. For quite some time I subconsciously associated it with parts of an animal that's eaten only by the less sophisticated class of Americans. Probably because of the word's similarity to gristle and the small-town setting of the movie.

Reply to
Pimpom

What /are/ grits? Why are they always mentioned in terms of "ain't good, but I/you /ought/ to like'em"?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Grits is never off topic!

Plain white or yellow grits, with lots of salt and pepper and butter, is wonderful with bacon and eggs. Savory grits (chicken broth, cheese) is a great dinner side dish.

Shrimp and grits is world-class food.

I am impressed that someone in Rhode Island has finally heard of grits. After Hurricane Katrina, there was a mass exodus from New Orleans, a culinary disapora. The country is better for that. There is a visible cajun/creole influence here in San Francisco that was not visible before the storm. Some fru-fru restaurents used to offer a tiny bowl of "polenta" for $7 but wouldn't use the word "grits."

lunatic fringe electronics

But sawdust isn't good alone; grits is.

lunatic fringe electronics

Damned yankee! "Grits" is always singular.

lunatic fringe electronics

You mean What /is/ grits?

Simmered corn meal, yellow or white. The Italians call their version polenta.

Fried grits is a variant:

Crunchy on the outside, soft and grits-e on the inside. Wonderful.

I think the name puts people off.

lunatic fringe electronics

Did I use plural ?:-}

Actually... officially (geographically) I AM a Yankee... raised in WV... I just happen to love grits... first introduced to grits by a waitress (with a German accent :-) in Huntsville, AL. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Anybody who lives north of Shreveport is a yankee.

lunatic fringe electronics

OK; got it, thanks for an explanation /I/ can understand :)

I've got some polenta in the cupboard, and have it occasionally. Fry-up is usually reserved for left-overs at breakfast.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yes. Make too much, mold the extra into a pan, smooth the top with plastic wrap, put in the fridge to congeal overnight; just one night.

Cut up into squares and fry in butter. Serve like my pic.

New Orleans grits is bleached and white, semi-coarse grain, not as smooth as polenta usually is. Its native taste is subtle, corn flavor but slightly bitter; it's a substrate for salt and pepper and butter. Maybe you need to be raised on grits to appreciate it.

I had some Swedish and French people up at the cabin for breakfast, and they ate all my grits. I'm told that I also started a minor epidemic of Bananas Foster in Sweden.

lunatic fringe electronics

Wasn't Vinny an Italian-American with a thick accent?

People in the south or sometimes here in the wild west and their food are often assumed to be less sophisticated. Though in reality most aren't at all, they just have different tastes and stuff. That doesn't just go for food. I still remember the shock in the faces of some tourists:

Small town in the boonies, I was done with work, went to the saloon. Yep, they also served grits. The band was playing "Fire on the Mountain" at full tilt, loud. The dance floor was packed, everyone singing and hollering, stuff flying around, the rafters were shaking. That's when they came in, with the deer in the headlights looks, is everyone freaking nuts out here? I told them it's ok, to come in, that the beer ain't great but it's on tap, the music would be good and this is where they'd experience the real Americana. I didn't tell them about the saloon fight the other day in Mariposa though ...

In case someone doesn't know the song:

"Do you also play other music?" ... "Oh yeah, sure. We play country _and_ western here". Often the highlight of the month out here is a rodeo. Or a parade with lots of horses. People have fun.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I would probably appreciate the extra texture, in the same way I prefer rough oatcakes to smooth ones. (N.B. "cake" is misleading; (UK) biscuit is more understandable

I'd probably appreciate it, but not idolise it.

Since I loathe bananas (except ice cream and plantain), that sounds disgusting :) There's a synthetic concoction called banoffee pudding over here; I won't touch that either.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I don't worship grits; I just like good food. There's lots of good stuff in California too.

Cooked bananas are different from raw ones, but you probably wouldn't like that either. People have different chemistry, which is probably a survival trait.

lunatic fringe electronics

I've eaten some mighty fine Cajun food there!! ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Yep, superbly done by Joe Pesci. His girlfriend (Marisa Tomei) was cute.

Reply to
Pimpom