OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world - Page 9

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
snipped-for-privacy@highlandtechnology.com says...

Really ? I thought is was irradition...

Must tell me wife they are using the wrong equipment since she loves
nanas!

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 19:22:31 -0400, M Philbrook

Bananas are full of radioactive potassium.

The average person has about 4400 bq internal activity from potassium
40 and about 15,000 from carbon 14. If you ate Pacific fish at every
meal, the radiation from Fukushima probably wouldn't add one more.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

A bigger problem is mercury from coal plants, especially in the Great
Lakes. In Ontario, pregnant women are advised to avoid eating fish from the
lakes.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

There was a big scare about that in the '60s, too.  They found that
fish that had been frozen for 100 years had the same Hg concentration.
The sky really isn't falling.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

That seems a little unlikely. There have been plenty of very nasty
mercury poisoning incidents of which the most infamous was at Minamata
in Japan. The irony being that sick people were fed more (highly toxic)
local fish to try and help them get better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease

Martin Brown

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 10:23:31 +0100, Martin Brown

Of course.  It doesn't fit your religious doctrine.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
om the

Minamata disease doesn't fit anybody's religious doctrine.

There have been lots of cases of irresponsible industrialists dumping mercu
ry and other pollutants in places where they get into the human food chain.
 If 100 year-old frozen fish had the same mercury levels as modern ones, th
ere's a good chance that some circa-1900 industrialist was responsible.

There was less industry around 100 years ago, but a lot more irresponsible
behaviour by industrialists who would have had to work quite a bit harder t
han their modern equivalents to be aware of the damage they might be doing.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

That's wrong and misleading. There are about 4,400 K-40 nuclear transformat
ions per second in  the average human body, corresponding to a dose of 0.39
 mSv/year, about forty times more than you get from C-14 - roughly 0.01 mSv
/year. There are about 3000  C-14 nuclear transformation per second (not 15
,000) which is nearly as many events, but C-14 decay produces less energeti
c and less damaging products.

Bequels are nuclear transformations per second which may be more fundamenta
l, but Sieverts are units of radiation damage, which is what we care about.

That's probably right. For a start, the Pacific is huge and Fukushima hasn'
t contaminated much of it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Radiation (noun) is what you get irradiated with (verb).

Jamie's language skills are much what you would expect from the rest of his
 intellectually battery of pop-guns.

The radiation source in bananas is the high level of potassium, most of whi
ch is potassium-39 (93.33%) and potassium-41 (6.7%) but the remaining 0.012
% is radioactive potassium-40. Potassium-40 has a half-life of 1.25 billion
 years, but it is still active enough to be the largest single source of ra
diation in the human body.

Equipment doesn't come into it, unless you count the supernova that made th
e potassium at least five billion years ago.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

And don't, whatever you do, wave a geiger counter near
the "LoSalt", especially anywhere where any (in)"security
staff" might have firearms.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Surprisingly bad for parrots to eat bananas due to the high potassium.

Instant coffee and Brasil nuts are also amongst the most radioactive
foodstuffs on sale (again due to their potassium content).

You have to remember that "Doom" reads the Daily Wail and everything in
their paranoid eyes causes cancer or magically cures it.

Martin Brown

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 10:23:05 +0100, Martin Brown

We have a parrot. I wouldn't mind if its life span were reduced some.
Or a lot.

But she won't eat bananas.

Thanks for the tip.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 09:18:47 -0700, John Larkin

One of our neighbors has a red and green (called a "Green Wing", I
think) Macaw.  She walks around the neighborhood with it on her
shoulder.

You're evil!  It'll probably just grow 30' and eat you, just like a
'50s Japanese movie.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Call the movie "Beaks."

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

We had one at school and it caused mayhem from time to time.
The best one was when it got into a tin of green paint overnight.

Martin Brown

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

And especially avoid the blue fin tuna!

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 10:00:36 -0700, John Larkin

Yet the food police want to tell everyone what they must eat.

We get a medium pizza on Friday nights and take home half for
Tuesday's dinner.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

And your example is? Most of the chemists in the world believed in phlogiston a few hundred years ago, but there weren't a few thousand of them around back then.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

I never said the science was settled.  The other side is that it's all BS.  These days you can't have a middle position; Gee, things seem to be warming.
CO2 abosrbs in the near IR*. Maybe there's some connection, it certainly seems like something we should study.  I don't have time for it, but
Muller seems to have had the time.  He started as a skeptic of the
temperature data and so did his own analysis.  (Well 'his' most likely
included grad students and other help.)

Anyway, it's seems impossible to have a real discussion about it
these days... On the left, every storm is GW and on the right
every cold spell no GW.

I still like this idea of looking at the noise in the temperature
data, that would get rid of any "DC" offsets.  (Which seems
to be John's biggest objection.)

George H.

*(That I do know, I did an IR lab in college,
part of it was looking at CO2 absorption...
it had this old clunky, tube (i think) lockin and a rotating blocker, thermopile detector IIRC, so real slow.)

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

We can certainly have fruitful discussions about GW, as long as
participants post the links that support their claims. Otherwise it's
useless.

One of the things about the warming ocean temperatures is water can support
lower concentrations of CO2 and it is released into the atmosphere, thus
contributing to global warming. A positive feedback loop.

I can verify that. I have a high pressure CO2 tank to make carbonic acid
for drinks. I refrigerate the bottles, but if I run out and use tap water,
all the CO2 bubbles out and I have to use up much more from the tank.

That costs me money!

Site Timeline