OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

I certainly don't hope to convince you of anything. If I did post links that you don't want to believe, you would accuse me of cherry-picking.

We are now at about the peak of an interglacial. The normal state of this planet is buried in kilometers of ice, and few critters alive. The warm spikes don't last long.

I don't suppose you'd believe Wikipedia.

It is interesting that the shape of the current interglacial is different from the previous ones.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Be patriotic and make more CO2!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If you have links, then post them. Show us your proof. You are not going to get us to believe anything by hiding your data.

Ice ages are well documented. That has nothing to do with what will happen in the next 50 years. If temperatures continue to rise, we could reach a tipping point, where nothing can be done to prevent further increases. For example, huge amounts of CO2 in melting permafrost could be released. This would increase the rate of increase in temperature.

You have not told us what is wrong with Herold's link:

Steve Wilson

Sure seems like, historically, CO2 lags temperature rather than leading it, which you Chicken-Littles should expect from your "settled science".

Reply to
krw

If too much CO2 makes positive-feedback-tipping-point runaway warming, why do we keep having ice ages? CO2 has been 6000 PPM in the past, but we had another ice age!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Where's your link? You don't care what happened 400,000 years ago, or what may happen 50,000 years in the future. You care what is happening now.

Global temperatures are increasing at a rate never before seen. Much of this is caused by increased atmospheric CO2 due to burning fossil fuels.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Check Fig. 2. Temperature and CO2 rise together.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Sure, maybe. I've not studied climate science. I tend to believe most scientists. AGW is now political, at least in the US. Once things become political, people say all sorts of silly things.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

AGW doesn't exist in the US. DT says so. But it sure exists everywhere else.

Many states are vowing to stick to the Paris agreement.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Sure, maybe. I've not studied climate science. I tend to believe most scientists*. AGW is now political, at least in the US. Once things become political, people say all sorts of silly things.

George H.

*in their field/specialty... and even then every 'field' has some idiots.
Reply to
George Herold

That's not what he said. Claiming to not use Google as your only filter against nonsense explicitly implies the use of other, independent sources to identify nonsense.

I find that buying the occasional book can provide the kind of detailed information that makes it easier to hammer the denialist twaddle you post here.

As John Larkin demonstrates, more or less non-stop.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If we have this "tipping point", where is it? How do they know? Computer models? ...and they hate Christians. Amazing.

Reply to
krw

Ah, so Antarctica is the "globe", now?

Reply to
krw

States don't have that power. Don't be so stupid.

Reply to
krw

Ill-informed too. The Little Ice Age was a regional effect around the North Atlantic, driven by ocean currents moving around. It may have coincided wi th a Maunder Minimum in sun-spot numbers, but that doesn't make solar irrad iance the driving force - it doesn't vary much with sun-spot number at the best of times.

Changes in solar irradiance seems to be worth about 0.1 Kelvin variation in global temperature which makes it more of a contributor to the noise on th e signal than any kind of driver.

It will be some denialist web-site or other - he doesn't get his misinformn ation on the subject anywhere else.

You

eady

People as gullible as John Larkin are easy to convince, and ones as vain as John Larkin aren't willing to admit that they have been gulled.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That does point out that our current understanding of the way the earth fli ps between glacial and interglacial periods suggests that we won't have ano ther glacial period for about 50,000 years, by which time we will probably have worked out how to nudge the thermostat to prevent it.

The current nudge - pushing up atmospheric CO2 from 270 ppm to 407 ppm - is probably bigger than we actually want, right now, and it might be prudent to leave some fossil carbon in the ground against a time when we really nee d to burn it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

But not until we actually need it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

house

ion."

or a

The solar output was appreciably lower back then, and we needed a thicker b lanket.

In fact you need the continents to be in just the right places to make ice ages possible.

Having Antarctica bang over the South Pole keeps ocean current from deliver ing enough heat there to keep it ice free so that it can absorb 95% of the incident solar radiation, rather than 30%, while having a largely land-lock ed Arctic ocean stops ocean currents from delivering enough heat there to k eep it largely ice-free (though we now seem to have enough CO2 in the atmos phere to melt most of the floating ice every summer).

Geologically speaking, this doesn't happen often.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

. You

ready

Since you mostly post links to denialist web-sites, someone else has done t he cherry-picking for you.

We aren't. It peaked a couple of thousand years ago.

ritters alive. The warm spikes don't last long.

This has been - sort of - true for the last 2.5 million years. There has be en life on earth for the last 500 million years and periods in that time wi th extensive ice sheets are rare. None of them have buried the entire plane t under kilometre thick ice sheets. The Huronian period, when this did happ en, is a lot earlier.

Which previous ones? It isn't as warm as the previous one - the Eemian - no r as spikey. It looks as if it was going to last as long as the one 400,000 years ago, even before we started pumping CO2 into the atmosphere.

The Wikipedia "Interglacial" page isn't the last, or the only, word on the subject.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's always 10 years in the future.

I like the sign on the saloon in Truckee:

FREE BEER TOMORROW

lunatic fringe electronics