OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world - Page 11

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

That's not what he said. Claiming to not use Google as your only filter against nonsense explicitly implies the use of other, independent sources to identify nonsense.

I find that buying the occasional book can provide the kind of detailed information that makes it easier to hammer the denialist twaddle you post here.

As John Larkin demonstrates, more or less non-stop.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Google isn't research, it's pattern matching, and I'm a scientist, when I do ''my own
research' it's professional.   Find me a reference that's worth perusing, or
admit you've never seen one.

The underside of a bed is a dusty, unpleasant place.   Lucky?

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

That's almost good enough to be a bumper sticker :)

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Assuming you can defend it from those lower down.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

But you will need a boat to get to it, and to get out an buy your groceries.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Yeah, the left half of that graph has a lower slope than the right half.   That's
what 'acceleration' means.

Have you checked that the surroundings will still attach your elevation
to the mainland after a few  meters water rise?   This could affect the
sell-or-bequeath economics down the road...

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

What's interesting is that many or most local tide gages do not show
an acceleration. The ones around here don't.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0lo5h9g3ok8in7/SF_Sea_Level.png?raw=1

About 150 feet of rise would put us on a pretty big island. Property
values would probably go up. At 1.45 mm/year, that will take about
30,000 years, and the current interglacial won't last that long.

After this silly AGW panic gets boring, which it is already, people
will find other things to be scared of.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
seem to
   That's

Lots of stuff influences local sea levels.

That not the right way to think about it. Sea level rise is ice sheets slid
ing off into the sea somewhere. 150 feet is 45 metres, and it would take th
e entire Antarctic ice sheet to drive up sea levels that far.

The Greenland ice sheet and the West Antarctic ice sheet could let go in a
century or so, but that's only 10 metres of sea level rise.

10 metres of sea level rise would be attention-getting. All the suckers who
 fell for denialist propaganda and failed to do anything to stop it would l
ook a bit silly, but that clearly doesn't bother John Larkin, who is dumb e
nough to take Anthony Watts seriously.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

  That was my attempt at sarcasm, apparently I didn't do well. :-)

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

They've made some progress on that, and it has something to do with
nuclear f^Hradiation.

https://www.theonion.com/scientists-trace-heat-wave-to-massive-star-at-center-of-1819572838

Cheers,
James

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Ever see "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"?

When all the "snow" somehow disappears, blame God:

<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZIo4LZUes

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Eppur si bang-bang

https://i.imgur.com/EZwaP1g.jpg

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Isaac Asimov was a novelist (and probably a Communist O M G) who freely
admitted he didn't really know much about actual science in practice, he
had a degree in biochemistry and worked in academia for like, 5 minutes
in the mid 1950s.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
reenland-is-literally.html

Isaac Asimov was a science writer. He read the science journals written in
the high bullshit and translated them for mass consumption. The point is th
at the theory was out there 40 years ago and had trickled down to the TV gu
ide.

The graph is an IQ test which you failed. Continue the graph and show what
happens next.

You are an example of what is wrong with our education system. You can not
think for yourself. You find who society has christened as smart, memorize
what they have to say and go around regurgitating it. "You're not qualified
 to think for me". You're just like those priests who went after Galileo. I
gnore the data and just say "You're not qualified to question, the Bible, A
ristotle and Ptolemy. I'm educated. I can quote the Bible, Aristotle and Pt
olemy."

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Wow, TV Guide has all the answers now?

Ooof

Damn son, look at this wild Aspergers-inspired rant right here, going on
about the Bible and Aristotle and shit. You ever touched a girl before?

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
:
_greenland-is-literally.html

n the high bullshit and translated them for mass consumption. The point is
that the theory was out there 40 years ago and had trickled down to the TV
guide.
t happens next.

The graph would indicates the earth's temperature will start to decline som
etime in the next 10,000 years.  More importantly it indicates the earth's
temperature has been climbing for the last 10,000 years.  If that were the
cause of global warming, why do we see such extreme changes in just the las
t 100 years or so???

t think for yourself. You find who society has christened as smart, memoriz
e what they have to say and go around regurgitating it. "You're not qualifi
ed to think for me". You're just like those priests who went after Galileo.
 Ignore the data and just say "You're not qualified to question, the Bible,
 Aristotle and Ptolemy. I'm educated. I can quote the Bible, Aristotle and
Ptolemy."

I think that shoe fits your foot as much as anyone.  You can't even make a
concrete statement about the discussion rather than making personal attacks
.

Rick C.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

They seem angry at someone. Pretty sure it's not me, though. I think
they got the wrong guy. /shrug

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

He had a doctorate in biochemistry.  He was no climate scientist, but he
most certainly was a qualified scientist and an assistant professor at a
university.  He was a prolific writer, and heavily involved in popular
science writing and promotion as well as writing science fiction (and
many other topics, fiction and non-fiction).  Politically, he was a
democrat - thus somewhat left-wing in American eyes, but seriously
right-wing to European eyes, and certainly not communist.

The graphs and explanations in the picture were current science at the
time (1975) and show the basic pattern of ice ages in recent geological
timeframes - a pattern that we have been disturbing at an accelerating
pace since the invention of farming some 10,000 years ago.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Climate science, like evolutionary biology and the academic study of
whether Western civilization and white men were chosen by God to be the
best kind of human or if it just happened naturally over time, is one of
those odd discipline in that it seems anyone under the sun with a degree
feels qualified to comment on authoritatively (and many who don't.)

The silly part is the rest of the image where the words of a
novelist/popular science author are extrapolated into yet another silly
electrical engineering-analogy of a "bang-bang" controller.

"What Isaac Asmiov was describing.." it says in the second picture ah no
probably not that's probably not at all what he was describing. The
climate as a whole is likely not a "bang-bang" controller, a 2nd-order
PID loop, an LM324 op-amp integrator, or any such thing. Trying to
extrapolate future behavior from these hammer-nail analogies is truly
silly, like one must really enjoy the party game of "telephone."

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

"Look, I'm no expert in bridges or anything. But let me tell you all
about the reasons I think this bridge right here collapsed..."

Site Timeline