OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world - Page 2

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Studying an area doesn't necessarily imply falsifying the results you find, and it's a pretty poor strategy if you are looking for long-term career.

They happen. So what? Humans make mistakes from time to time, and honest humans correct them when they find them.

Particulary when there is a lot of money being spent trying to persuade you not to trust the measurements.

In reality, historical global temperatures are recorded in the isotope ratios in the water in ice cores, which takes us back some 800,000 years.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-are-past-temperatures/

There are lots of ice cores from various places, and cheating on all of them would be difficult.

We tell John about this kind of evidence from time to time, but it never shows up on denialist web sites, so he can't possibly beleive it.

Anthropogenic global warming is unlikley to make humanity extinct, though it might contribute to a population crash. John Larkin can't get anything right.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

No, I refuse to let Google be my only filter against nonsense.   Cite a peer-reviewed article, that gives
specifics, to any kind of 'correction' that bothers you.   Hint: a researcher determining temperature
calibrations is not likely to draw conslusions about 'warming' in the same paper.
Those keywords wont appear together except in an essay (and 50 cents a word, with
a few megabucks available, buys lots of nonsense essays).

Why do you put 'researchers' in single-quotes?   The collectors of temperature data from around
the world really ARE researchers.  I'm detecting an addiciton to dark hints, with Google
as your enabler.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
ish  specifics, or accept
eer-reviewed article, that gives specifics, to any kind of 'correction' tha
t bothers you.   Hint: a researcher determining temperature calibrations is
 not likely to draw conclusions about 'warming' in the same paper.
rd, with a few megabucks available, buys lots of nonsense essays).
ature data from around the world really ARE researchers.  I'm detecting an
addiction to dark hints, with Google as your enabler.

John Larkin gets all his "climate science" opinions from denialist web-site
s. He  doesn't seem to post links to anything else. Quite how he manages to
 avoid google links to the anti-denialist content escapes me - I suspect he
's fed his links by James Arthur, rather than using google on his own (whic
h may be above his pay-grade).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Do you refuse to do your own research, or just refuse to consider
anything that reinforces your prejudices?

Luckily, there are lots of beds to hide under.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
The data here seems OK.
http://berkeleyearth.org/land-and-ocean-data/
There is a 'are you a climate skeptic?' link.
Where he (Richard Muller) takes the 'climategate' guys to task.

George H.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 11:04:36 -0700 (PDT), George Herold

If we do get another solar-driven LIA, or a real ice age, which are
really inevitable, this AGW thing will be remembered as a gigantic
case of pathological science.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Sounds like wishful thinking.

Inevitable? Where are your links?

So far, you have not presented one single reference to prove your claims. You
will need a lot of them to overcome the huge mass of evidence that is already
available. And more is being collected.

So get busy. Prove it is wrong. And not just by hand waving. Show us your
data.

You need to show lots of data if you hope to convince anyone.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
What comes around, goes around.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_glaciation

George H.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Quote:
"One theory holds that decreases in atmospheric CO2, an important greenhouse
gas, started the long-term cooling trend that eventually led to glaciation."

Atmospheric CO2 is increasing. This is the opposite of what is needed for a
new ice age.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_glaciation#Next_glacial_period

Be patriotic and make more CO2!

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

But not until we actually need it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Sure seems like, historically, CO2 lags temperature rather than
leading it, which you Chicken-Littles should expect from your "settled
science".

<https://skepticalscience.com/co2-lags-temperature.htm

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

If too much CO2 makes positive-feedback-tipping-point runaway warming,
why do we keep having ice ages? CO2 has been 6000 PPM in the past, but
we had another ice age!

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Where's your link?

You don't care what happened 400,000 years ago, or what may happen 50,000
years in the future. You care what is happening now.

Global temperatures are increasing at a rate never before seen. Much of
this is caused by increased atmospheric CO2 due to burning fossil fuels.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Which is pretty much weather as usual. But food production is way up
and extreme poverty is way down. Life spans are increasing. You need
fossil fuels to do that.

Good grief, do a little research. None of what you said is correct.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
ed
0

Actually, you need energy to do that, and you can get all you need out of r
enewable sources - essentially solar power, since wind and hydro rely on th
e sun's output to move the air and water around.

Fossil fuels are the training wheels of an industrial civilisation - once y
ou know what you are doing (and John Larkin doesn't) you do rather better w
ithout them.

Global temperatures are going up faster than they did before the Paleocene-
Eocene Thermal Maximum was reached.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleocene%E2%80%93Eocene_Thermal_Maximum

There might have been more rapid changes when the moon was created, but tha
t's a rather different context.

The rise is largely due to increased atmospheric CO2 and the Suess Effect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suess_effect

demonstrates that the extra CO2 comes from burning fossil carbon.

John Larkin is trying to mislead us - possibly because somebody has mislead
 him.

"None of what you said is correct" is entirely incorrect.

It's John Larkin who needs to do a little more research, starting with a pr
ogram that lets him identify denialist web-sites and distinguish their cont
ent from stuff published in more reliable places, like the Proceedings of t
he (US) National Academy of Science.

His comment is best seen as reprimand to Steve Wilson for not being the sor
t of gullible sucker that John Larkin exemplifies and consequently approves
 of.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Not at all. Renewables or Thorium Molten Salt reactors can do a better job.

You don't seem to have any links to support your claims, so I decided to
help you out. Climate Depot has a lot of informative links. Here's some
others:

Atmospheric CO2 Concentrations At 400 PPM Are Still Dangerously Low For
Life On Earth
https://tinyurl.com/bytfap4

CO2 Nears 400 ppm. Relax! It's Not Global Warming 'End Times', But Only A
'Big Yawn'
https://tinyurl.com/lksp8qx

More Than 1000 International Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global
Warming Claims
https://tinyurl.com/cugmw52

There's a ton of info available. Take your pick.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 17:44:06 -0700, John Larkin

If we have this "tipping point", where is it?  How do they know?
Computer models?  <giggles>  ...and they hate Christians.  Amazing.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

It's always 10 years in the future.

I like the sign on the saloon in Truckee:

  FREE BEER TOMORROW

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
enhouse
ation."
 for a

Actually nobody has ever put a date on any tripping point Getting the Arcti
c warm enough to break up a whole lot of methane ice clathrates might quali
fy as a tripping point, but nobody knows how much methane ice is lying arou
nd, or where, so working out how much warming would be needed to free up en
ough methane gfast enough to get some kind of local runaway is difficult to
 quantify.

Something ran away inn the run-up to the Paleocene Eocene Thermal Maximum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleocene%E2%80%93Eocene_Thermal_Maximum

and dumped something between "2000 to 7000 gigatons" of carbon into the atm
osphere. The isotope ratios suggest that it was mostly methane.

"Free methane" is a less attractive offer and the denialist program looks m
ore like a methane liberation movement, with the slogan "Free Methane!" - p
resumably from its clathrate (molecular cage) bondage.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Site Timeline