OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Ever see "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"?

When all the "snow" somehow disappears, blame God:

Reply to
bitrex

I'm 16ft above sea level, I have about 25 yrs left, should I sell now or will I be gone before I need to worry about a flood?

Interesting data here.

10,000 ft of ice, wow!
Reply to
amdx

:

n the high bullshit and translated them for mass consumption. The point is that the theory was out there 40 years ago and had trickled down to the TV guide.

t happens next.

The graph would indicates the earth's temperature will start to decline som etime in the next 10,000 years. More importantly it indicates the earth's temperature has been climbing for the last 10,000 years. If that were the cause of global warming, why do we see such extreme changes in just the las t 100 years or so???

t think for yourself. You find who society has christened as smart, memoriz e what they have to say and go around regurgitating it. "You're not qualifi ed to think for me". You're just like those priests who went after Galileo. Ignore the data and just say "You're not qualified to question, the Bible, Aristotle and Ptolemy. I'm educated. I can quote the Bible, Aristotle and Ptolemy."

I think that shoe fits your foot as much as anyone. You can't even make a concrete statement about the discussion rather than making personal attacks .

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Judging solely from that link, it appears to be a TV show for popular science. As a famous popular scientist, well-known figure and good public speaker, I'd say Asimov is eminently qualified. There is no indication that he was the person writing the science here - merely the person presenting it or translating it into layman's terms.

It would a different matter if he were presenting his own unqualified and unsubstantiated opinions as "science".

The second picture - which is not written by Asimov - is clearly inaccurate. Asimov did not suggest that you had a saw-tooth pattern, merely that it is basically cyclic (which is true).

Reply to
David Brown

Cover your head, the sky is falling. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Understanding is a fountain of life to one who has it, But the instruction of fools is folly. Proverbs 16:22

They seem angry at someone. Pretty sure it's not me, though. I think they got the wrong guy. /shrug

Reply to
bitrex

Sea level has been going up about 2.5 mm per year for at least the last 100 years and doesn't seem to be accelerating, so you're OK.

You could of course have a flood; nothing new there.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Wonderful

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

s.

do.

of

o,

els.html

Current rates of sea level rise aren't a good indicator of future rates of sea level rise. If the Greenland or West Antarctic ice sheets start sliding off into the sea, they are worth 6 metres and 4 metres of sea level rise r espectively, and once it start happening it seems to go quite fast.

That's one way of looking at it. John Larkin gets his thinking on the subje ct from denialist web sites. There are others, not paid for by people who w ant to keep on digging up fossil carbon and selling it as fuel as fast as p ossible.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

enland-is-literally.html

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson gets it exactly wrong. The story is actually about the sea rising - though Fox News doesn't know enough about t he science involved to realise that if you've got enough water under an ice sheet, it can slide off into the ocean in large chunks (which ice sheets h ave been known to do).

Greenland is supporting six metres worth of sea level rise. The ice doesn't have to melt in place to raise the sea level - as soon as it slides off in to the sea it will do the job.

So it's put on your wellies, the sea is rising.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I'm wearing a life jacket as I type.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

I'm not 100% sure (must re-read), but I think he was saying you can take the life jacket off.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

enland-is-literally.html

eenland-ice-sheet/

What Anthony Watts has - predictably - ignored is that the interesting thin g about ice sheets is that they can slide off into the ocean.

The bottom of the North Atlantic is littered with "accidental" - boulders t hat fell out of chunks of ice sheet that had slid off into the North Atlant ic and rafted the boulders out to sea until the ice-berg melted and dumped the accidentals, so at least some ice sheets slide off and float away.

This raises sea levels quite a lot faster than having the ice sheet melt in place.

For some reason, denialist web-sites don't pay much attention to this.

The IPCC doesn't either - to work out if an ice sheet is going to slide off , you need to know a lot about conditions at the bottom of the ice sheet, w hich isn't an easily accessible area, so neat predictions aren't practical.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It sure looks like the ice mostly sits on a concave bedrock structure. It's not going to slide anywhere.

lunatic fringe electronics

Well, you got the lunatic part right. Yes, many ice structures sit on concave bedrock, but there is often a lake of water beneath them. So it's not at all unlike the water flume at King's Dominion!

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Extrapolation is the crudest possiblle theory based on data.. We have better ones, that don't have the "you're OK" feature.

Carbon dioxide additions to the atmosphere were less significant for the first half of 'the last 100 years', and the sea level curve DOES seem to be accelerating.

Reply to
whit3rd

Look at ocean temperatures. The curves on all the sites are increasing, even the sceptics. Despite cooling from evaporation, a lot of heat is dumped into the oceans. It takes minimal observation to figure where this is going.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Our house is 360 feet above sea level, so we don't need to panic very soon.

lunatic fringe electronics

But you have to agree ocean temperatures are rising.

What about others who live on the coast.

Like 90% of the world's population.

(made up statistics)

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Assuming you can defend it from those lower down.

Reply to
Clifford Heath