OT: Green Taxes

Britain is trial-ballooning an individual Carbon Allowance that if exceeded will incur cash penalty:

Not to be outdone, the Dutch plan to drop sales and license taxes on cars, to be replaced with a per-kilometer carbon tax rated to the vehicle's characteristics, with add-ons for rush-hour driving and using "congested" roads:

Of course public transportation, including taxis, will be exempt. (Are taxis nationalized there?)

How will this be implemented?

Government-spec GPS devices will be installed in ALL passenger cars to track their movements- the data goes to a central billing agency. Of course "the information collected by GPS would be "legally and technically protected," and the data would not be accessible to the government for other purposes. "'The privacy of road users is protected...'".

Well, we know that Slowman trusts Big Brother completely. And it'll be hacker-proof, too.

Right. The Government _needs_ to know where you are at any given moment. One wonders what the excuse for putting GPS on Dutch bicycles will be.

How will Obama meet this challenge? You just _know_ he'll have to find some way to up the ante.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Don't worry, we get a change of government next year and stuff like that will be squashed thankfully. We'll also get the ban on fox hunting squashed as well, much to the pleasure of the countryside alliance, farmers and others who are sick to teeth of Labour's attack on civil liberties. The cancerous growth of the nanny state and the encycopaedia of other stuff that's been introduced will be rolled back as well. A bit more red in tooth and claw, return to self reliance and for it to be cool to be successfull from individual effort will be very welcome.

(Don't get me really started on this :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

An optimist. So you think Kang will reverse the laws put in place by Kodos?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Why not implant GPS/RFID units into everyone?

John

.

I nearly fell off my chair over that one.

(You could always vote for a third party...)

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Oh, dear; I hope you weren't thinking of the bit I wrote that you snipped:

"How will Obama meet this challenge? You just _know_ he'll have to find some way to up the ante. "

So.... a new reason for wearing tinfoil beanies- to keep the signals

*in*?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Problem is that the third party are worse than the lot we have at present, in terms of proposals to increase taxes, increased powers for the meddling state and playing patsy to Europe.

In fact, I always preferred Futurama to the Simpsons. Far more eclectic and off the wall :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

READ:

Steve

Reply to
osr

Pop culture reference. See Man2, below, & Kang's response:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Simpsons, "Treehouse of Horror VII"...

Homer: America, take a good look at your beloved candidates. They're nothing but hideous space reptiles. [unmasks them]

[audience gasps in terror]

Kodos: It's true, we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two-party system; you have to vote for one of us.

Man1: He's right, this is a two-party system.

Man2: Well, I believe I'll vote for a third-party candidate.

Kang: Go ahead, throw your vote away! Kang and Kodos: Bwahahahahahaha!

[Ross Perot smashes his "Perot 96" hat] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I look at that site quite a bit, originally to find out some background info on the AF447 disaster, but that looks like yet another scam to get more revenue in. I have always thought that the carbon credits system was a scam in that you don't have to reduce your pollution, just pay a big wad to continue doing it :-(. Does nothing to solve the CO2 problem, if in fact it is a problem. (Cue Sloman :-) The fact is that the eu is rapidly turning into the 1000 year reich that many of our fathers fought to stop 70 years ago. If you can't win by force, do it by social engineering, sleight of hand and economics. Of course, all the new eu members are really happy, because they have their snout in the trough with all their subsidies. They will vote for anything that guarantees business as usual, but they dilute the effective voting power of those who would wish to make it all more accountable and transparent.

Having gone on a bit as usual, sorry, I understand that aviation fuel is not currently taxed at all in europe, which seems a bit unreasonable. If there is to be a tax on fuel, then everyone who uses it should shoulder their share of the burden, not just Mr & Mrs Family and all the small businesses, who are already taxed to the hilt...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Thanks. It went right over my head, missed it completely. Obviously need some remedial education in some areas :-)...

Regards,

Reply to
ChrisQ

ChrisQ thinks that Viscount Monckton's opinions about global warming have merit. Arthur Smith has provided a detailed analysis of the way he constructs his superficially plausible arguments.

ChrisQ presumably fears that he - and other nitwits like him - will be rounded up, packed into cattle trucks and shipped off to extermination camps to prevent the European gene pool being polluted by the feeble- minded. This - and a number of other silly ideas - were espoused by propoments of the "1000 year reich" but don't seem to have lot of support anywhere in todays european union, but ChrisQ isn't exactly famous for his knowledge of real world facts.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman