OT: glass stirring rod

Hi,

For perhaps the fourth time in as many weeks, I find myself looking for a glass stirring rod (different applications in each case). And, at a loss as to where I could pick one up "locally".

Hardware stores look at you like you are speaking Portuguese; glass stores think glass == windows/panes; "kitchen" stores equally clueless.

Do I have to resort to an on-line source?

Reply to
Don Y

Go to a liquor store. Personally, I just use a plastic chop stick, though I do have a glass one around here somewhere... if I could just remember where I "safely" stashed it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Really?

I need something smooth, non-porous that is "wipe clean" (without residue, discoloration, etc.)

Reply to
Don Y

Chemical equipment supply houses will have them. Fisher Scientific? They are just a piece of glass rod with melted ends to make balls.

How about ebay?

Seems two for about $6 is the going rate.

--

Rick
Reply to

And something relatively "inert" (e.g., so I can use it with aggressive solvents, etc.) -- i.e., "glass stirring rod"

Reply to
Don Y

[snip]

Yes. Some of us prefer our Martini's _stirred_ rather than shaken

...Jim Thompson

McMaster-Carr, or probably Grainger if there's one near you.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Excellent! I initially assumed you were refering to those cheesy extruded plastic "swizel sticks" you'd find in a bar/pub...

Thanks!

Reply to
Don Y

No. It's a real glass rod, at least 12" long. ...Jim Thompson

Our local hardware store sells glass rods in various sizes.. these are sometimes used for towel hanger rods down to something like a 1/4 size. They also have some glass tube rod. Stores may vary a little but, our Ace hardware place did have them the last time I was in that area of the store. Also, I think Home Depot may have something like that.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Sales plummeted after Bond in _Goldfinger_ uttered that immortal phrase, but you can still find nice glass martini stirring rods.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Are you sure they are glass? 1/4 inch glass would be very fragile and not at all appropriate for a towel hanger.

I'd be willing to bet they are plastic of some sort.

--

Rick
Reply to

12" would be a bit long (more readily broken in transit). I was thinking of the ~6" lengths you'd use in chemistry class to pour an acid out of a bottle (*along* the rod).

But, if they have one length, they may have others... (?)

I'll add it to this week's "shopping schedule" (I think there's a liquor store next to the plumbing supply shop; I need to buy some brass/cast Tee's)

Reply to
Don Y

Or you can order some from eBay and have them by next Friday... or even Thursday.

--

Rick
Reply to

I make up my Martini's in a tall pitcher ;-)

My weekend chore... add an outlet under SWMBO's make-up area counter to plug in her curling iron and hair dryer ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I don't drink anymore -- I can't find anyone to import the beer I like... so it's probably "for the best"...

I have to pour three more "vaults" for irrigation manifolds. Take advantage of the (slightly-less-softer-than-concrete) Monsoon-moistened soil before it turns to stone, again :<

Reply to
Don Y

I've had to cut back... the doctors wanted to cut 6" out of my colon... I opted for less wine instead ;-)

In my "digging days" I had two teen-aged sons at home ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Oooo! Sorry to hear that. I've never been big on alcohol so I don't really *miss* it. And, probably would be one more source of "unnecessary calories"... hard enough to keep "output" and "intake" balanced as it is!

[Supposedly, Americans gain ~10 lbs/decade. This boils down to something like one "lifesaver" of surplus intake per day!]

No kids -- nor any of the "associated consequences" thereof! :> I think I'm ahead, on balance -- even if it means digging a hole every now and then! ;-)

Reply to
Don Y

4 kids... associated consequences... college educations... 4 spouses of each child... 8 grandchildren... 1 great-granddaughter... 1 great-grandson due in October... a great family ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Growing up, my mom's 8 siblings and my dad's 4 made family get-togethers more like "controlled riots" -- 20+ "aunts & uncles", at least another

20 first cousins, plus "dates" as we all entered our teen years at roughly the same time. Thereafter, the "next generation" additions (as we all got married at roughly the same time) just made things completely impractical.

Eating at birthday parties or The Holidays happened in shifts: 6-8 at the kitchen table, 12 at the dining room table, kids wherever they could find a stair, chair or *knee*, etc.

My wife's family was equally large. So, there was no such thing as a "small get-together" (I think we had ~400 guests at our wedding reception*s* -- she got to invite *one* "friend" and *I* got one friend! The rest being family/extended family)

While it was always nice to see everyone, seeing MOST of them on a weekly basis meant it wasn't *that* special. You'd often welcome their *absence*! :-/

Now, I *revel* in the low-key nature of our holidays. Neighbors and friends always trying to coax us to join them for this party or that family gathering... "No thanks!" Stay home and make a pizza instead :> Let everyone else deal with the noise and insanity!

Reply to
Don Y