OT: Getting Lucky

Semantics, really. It's common knowledge that the subconscious both while we're asleep and while we're awake. The solution to a problem often pops up when we're not consciously thinking about it. If it occurs when we're sleeping, it's quite natural for the brain to associate it with a dream.

Yes, I've had it happen to me a few times.

Reply to
Pimpom

----------

** Had a similar experience once with a stencil cutting machine that sudden ly refused to work and defied all attempts by techs familiar with it to mak e it work. Days were spent chasing rabbits down holes and it still would no t cut for even a second. The high voltage arc that did the magic would not sustain so attention was highly focussed on that and its' drive circuit.

Being entirely unfamiliar myslef, I was not even invited to look - so took my chance to poke about when no-body was around.

I soon noticed the cutting sheets did not look all the same - ones near the bottom of the stack were a darker colour. A multimeter set to the ohms X10 range found dark one's had conducting surfaces while pale ones were virtua lly insulating.

Put a dark one in the machine and it ran fine.

My secret was that I was NOT familiar with the thing.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

t and never let on that you just got lucky. :) "

Just hope they don't read Usenet ! LOL

It has happened to me but I never hid it. I was enough of a bigwig to worry about things like that. Hell one time I walked into work a day late and to ld the boss it was because I did a bunch of coke. Used to do it about once a year but haven't. It has been maybe ten years now. But it was a different work environment than most are used to, to say the least. I said and did a nyting I want. I got pissed off and walked out once and he comes chasing me out to my car. Then a guy thinks he is some sort of strawboss and I ignore d what he said, actually told me to do. Well I only answer to the owner of the company, period. Been that way for a long time. So he walks out and pee ls rubber out the parking lot and the boss asks what's wrong with him and I said "I wouldn't suck his dick". LOL

Another thing about that place. The water cooler was in the bosses office, it was empty so I just went back to work. He comes gets me and changes the bottle and says "What could be easier ?" to which I replied "Watching you d o it". Liked that job but the guy got old, had a heart attack and retired s o he closed the place.

That's how it goes I guess. Sorry to be so loquacious and all, just skip it if you want.

Reply to
jurb6006

Fuck all that,I want a bonus ! LOL

Reply to
jurb6006

What did you do, just compensate in the parameters ? Can't think of much else unless they give up that lift.

Reply to
jurb6006

They used to say that he recanted and said that germs didn't cause the disease that the disease causes the germs and that Lister killed him for it.

But it was a rumor. How do you send something in to snopes ? i have seen plenty of links to it but not a way for that. Maybe I am not looking in the right place.

Reply to
jurb6006

I don't know what it was that got me corrected on the OP AMP thing, but I was wrong one day and right the next.

I wonder if I'll ever live that down, I shoulsd have known that easy.

Reply to
jurb6006

One boss I had, when a tech gave up on something and it was sent to someone else (usually me)he didn't want me to talk to the last guy at all. I under stand that but I have to know if he left any loose ends, like something jum ped out or disconnected that would wreak havoc if the thing got fired up.

Reply to
jurb6006

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 11:36:35 PM UTC+11, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

sease that the disease causes the germs and that Lister killed him for it.

That's the kind of nonsense that Cursitor Doom finds and posts.

I've certainly never heard anything of the sort.

plenty of links to it but not a way for that. Maybe I am not looking in the right place.

You might look at

which says that Pasteur died in 1895 never having fully recovered from a s troke or uremia that had afflicted him in 1894. Curiously, Lister's wife di ed in 1893, and this apparently drove Lister into "religious melancholy" wh ich wouldn't have made him an effective assassin ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

We didn't do anything. General Electric settled for a simple and cheap solution. The lift wasn't allowed to move while the machine was writing a pattern, but could go up and down between lithography sessions.

It wasn't the only lift in the place. though it might well have been the first one.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Moons ago, when bubble memories were the "thing", much of the cost of the devices was in test (they were slow). The story goes that one of the line techs could tell which ones were junk from those that had real possibilities, just by looking at them. He just said, "the good ones are green". Sure enough, the diffraction pattern of the chevrons made them look green. If the lithography went wrong, they weren't "green". In that case, the secret was that the line tech *was* familiar with the things.

Reply to
krw

Keep dreaming.

Yes... improperly attributing something to a dream state solution is right up there with Donald J. Trump's IQ claims.

Reply to
Long Hair

And everyone's mind works exactly like yours, unless they're doing it wrong. eh?

Maybe it's (yet another) avenue of creativity forever closed to you.

It worked for Kekule. Look him up.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

-------------------------

denly refused to work and defied all attempts by techs familiar with it to make it work. Days were spent chasing rabbits down holes and it still would not cut for even a second. The high voltage arc that did the magic would n ot sustain so attention was highly focussed on that and its' drive circuit.

ok my chance to poke about when no-body was around.

the bottom of the stack were a darker colour. A multimeter set to the ohms X10 range found dark one's had conducting surfaces while pale ones were vir tually insulating.

** Familiarity can often lead to very quick diagnoses, unless you make a fa lse assumption based on experience.

In the case of the stencil cutter, others assumed that because they had oft en seen the machine arc cutting sheets so easily, the machine must have a f ault.

I had never seen it work and wondered how it could when the sheets were ins ulating.

The boss was astonished and pleased of course, but as he had spent so many hours on it without success, he decided to claim the fix for himself.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I never said anything about "wrongness". Nope... not once... You are injecting YOUR mentality into it. eh?

I said wrongly attributed, in the best analysis.

And so it is.

Reply to
Long Hair

Let me guess; you don't know who Kekule was

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Did you call him a punk bitch to his face and walk out the door the very same day? or is that too "aggressively American"

Reply to
bitrex

That's what I mean in the other post.Do you think your opinion of him is go ing to affect others ? A stupid and useless statement that is counterproduc tive to your arguments.

I have already gleaned that your exposure has been limited. And I do not me an that as an insult.

Anyone can edit wiki. Also, it is not hard to kill the sick. Just make the treatment improper and poof, they're gone. That is something about which we will probably never have the details. So while I specifically said it was a rumor, or rumor type thing, it is possible. i would say the likelyhood of it being true is low, but so is ACTUAL Russian tampering with a US electio n.

nto "religious melancholy" which wouldn't have made him an effective assass in ... "

Or it cold have impelled him to do it.

It was just a little bit of trivia, don't take it to the bank, so to speak.

Reply to
jurb6006

I like old stuff, built to last. But this is one of those times it is just incompatible with now.

I know how it feels :-)

Reply to
jurb6006

ight up there with Donald J. Trump's IQ claims. "

Anyone here who can get themselves elected to theUS Presidency raise your h and.

Oh.

But I don't mean that in a bad way against you. I think Trump is a savant. Good at some things and a complete idiot in others. Saving $ 130 million a year by pissing off every food stamp recipient in the country, some of who voted for him because they actually want jobs. The government spend $130 mi llion in a minute or two. He lacks perspective. And the wall is off the wal l, very few people actually walk across the border. Yes there is Ranch Resc ue because they do make a mess sometimes, but that is not the norm.

And his debt ? Well there is nothing better than dying in debt, they take t he shit you no longer need, and you enjoyed the money.He could have made go od money on the stock market or funds or whatever, but it seems he is more of a hands on type of guy. I am somewhat the same, ifI had the big bucks I would not just give it all to E F Hutton, I would open businesses and buy p roperty and all that. Something to do for the idle rich.

But I do agree he is not the best choice for President,not by a long shot. And he is President only because +Hillary Clinton is so repugnant to many p eople. Judged by the court of public opinion maybe, but they do the same th ing to republicans. They put themselves out as the perfect couple when in r eality she was his private pimp procuring pussy, and threatening those who might talk. And he had political power for long enough to believe that, unl ike for example Bill Cosby. It seems that the god diggers came out of the w oodwork when Trump got elected. And there is no evidence, I think they we nt looking for hush money and didn't get it.

And now Hillary Clinton set up a place to encourage such accusations. She i s as dirty as dirt. Everyone knows it and some liberals ignore it, but not enough to get her elected in 2016.

He is not the best Man for the job, to say the least. So we do agree somewh at. I just don't reduce myself to hyperbole.

Reply to
jurb6006