OT fun street

People think that Lombard is the twistiest street in San Francisco, but it's actually Vermont:

And whereas there a a zillion tourists waiting to drive or walk down Lombard, Vermont is usually deserted.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Vermont sure is twisted.

Oh, the street!

Reply to
krw

Not a street but this is a part of the road from my town to the nearest airport. In some places, the ratio of road-to-aerial distance exceeds 10:1.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/@23.8510281,92.6382704,15z

Reply to
Pimpom

It seems everything there is grey, so much so it's impossible to see anything at all. At least according to google.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Strange. To test the URL before posting it here, I copy-pasted it to another browser and it shows the twisting road in white on a light brown background. I've just changed it from maps.google.co.in to maps.google.com and it shows exactly the same thing.

It shows a river in blue flowing from south-south-east to north- north-west on the right side. The airport runway is on the lower left.

Reply to
Pimpom

Years ago I drove down highway 1 with some other physics grad students. We had to ask one of the foreign guys not to drive... too scary.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Looks like a regular map to me, roads and the river. Much nicer if you click the satellite view.

What sorts of critters live in the woods there?

lunatic fringe electronics

Guard rails are for sissies.

lunatic fringe electronics

Not much now. A few antelopes, jungle cats and the like. Slash-and-burn cultivation, half-hearted conservation and poaching went on for too long.

Reply to
Pimpom

We have a lot of animals here now. Coyotes have moved back into San Francisco and are flourishing... strolling the streets and eating all the little things. We have skunks, snakes, possums, raccoons... in our back yard. In Truckee, there are bears, deer, coons, wildcats, and maybe a wolverine and wolves moving in.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I can see how crazy the road route is, but almost nothing else. .com is the same.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The background is mostly blank at this zoom level because there are few geographical features of interest. You'll see more detail if you switch to satellite view mode like JL suggested.

Actually this part of the airport road now sees little use in favour of a newer one, except when the new one is blocked by landslides in the rainy season. The new road was surveyed to serve the airport long after the airport opened. It's shorter by

10km, wider and has far fewer insane twists, but the aerial to road ratio is still 1:3 from the point where the two routes separate.
Reply to
Pimpom

I looked at satellite view - it was all green instead of all grey!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Of course. This is the tropics after all. These parts are not virgin rainforest though. They were denuded for shifting cultivation and then overgrown again, probably several times.

Reply to
Pimpom

Nice. Excuse my geographic ignorance, but I didn't realize that India continued on the east side of Bangladesh.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's not really surprising. This part of India is collectively known as North-East India although I often wonder why the 'North' part is included in the name. It's connected to the main body of India by a narrow strip of land between SE Nepal and NW Bangladesh.

The region is now divided into seven separate states, sometimes called the Seven Sisters. Few of the native inhabitants feel very Indian. We're often mistaken for foreigners in mainland India.

Reply to
Pimpom

is the same.

You know what I find odd. There are many forest regions where people repeat edly try to grow cereals and it fails. Yet they keep trying. If I had such land I'd want to plant it up with food producing trees, for the simple reas on that that can actually work. The downsides are fairly obvious, but it lo oks a lot more realistic when it's that approach or nothing that works.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In many places in Europe - Italy particularly comes to mind - guard rails aren't used because the coaches overhang the edges on corners. It can be quite unnerving as a passenger, but the driver will just shrug and say, "I know where my wheels are."

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

e:

.

Rincewind, (Terry Pratchett) ?I?m not going to ride on a magic carpet!? he hisse d. ?I?m afraid of grounds!? ?You mean heights,? said Conina. ?And stop being s illy.? ?I know what I mean! It?s the grounds that kill you.? ?

(semi-electronics related.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Like the man as he plummeted past the tenth floor, "So far, so good!"

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur