OT fun street

People think that Lombard is the twistiest street in San Francisco,
but it's actually Vermont:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfl37bpy0fdzhhs/Vermont_St.JPG?raw=1

And whereas there a a zillion tourists waiting to drive or walk down
Lombard, Vermont is usually deserted.

Re: OT fun street
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:29:54 -0700, John Larkin

Vermont sure is twisted.

Oh, the street!

Re: OT fun street
Not a street but this is a part of the road from my town to the
nearest airport. In some places, the ratio of road-to-aerial
distance exceeds 10:1.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/@23.8510281,92.6382704,15z

Re: OT fun street

It seems everything there is grey, so much so it's impossible to see anything at all. At least according to google.

NT

Re: OT fun street
Strange. To test the URL before posting it here, I copy-pasted it
to another browser and it shows the twisting road in white on a
light brown background. I've just changed it from
maps.google.co.in to maps.google.com and it shows exactly the
same thing.

It shows a river in blue flowing from south-south-east to north-
north-west on the right side. The airport runway is on the lower
left.

Re: OT fun street

Looks like a regular map to me, roads and the river. Much nicer if you
click the satellite view.

What sorts of critters live in the woods there?

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT fun street
Not much now. A few antelopes, jungle cats and the like.
Slash-and-burn cultivation, half-hearted conservation and
poaching went on for too long.

Re: OT fun street

We have a lot of animals here now. Coyotes have moved back into San
Francisco and are flourishing... strolling the streets and eating all
the little things. We have skunks, snakes, possums, raccoons... in our
back yard. In Truckee, there are bears, deer, coons, wildcats, and
maybe a wolverine and wolves moving in.

Re: OT fun street
Wolverines?  Yikes.  Carry a rifle.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I can see how crazy the road route is, but almost nothing else. .com is the same.

NT

Re: OT fun street

The background is mostly blank at this zoom level because there
are few geographical features of interest. You'll see more detail
if you switch to satellite view mode like JL suggested.

Actually this part of the airport road now sees little use in
favour of a newer one, except when the new one is blocked by
landslides in the rainy season. The new road was surveyed to
serve the airport long after the airport opened. It's shorter by
10km, wider and has far fewer insane twists, but the aerial to
road ratio is still 1:3 from the point where the two routes
separate.

Re: OT fun street

I looked at satellite view - it was all green instead of all grey!

NT

Re: OT fun street
Of course. This is the tropics after all. These parts are not
virgin rainforest though. They were denuded for shifting
cultivation and then overgrown again, probably several times.

Re: OT fun street

is the same.

You know what I find odd. There are many forest regions where people repeat
edly try to grow cereals and it fails. Yet they keep trying. If I had such
land I'd want to plant it up with food producing trees, for the simple reas
on that that can actually work. The downsides are fairly obvious, but it lo
oks a lot more realistic when it's that approach or nothing that works.

NT

Re: OT fun street

Nice.  Excuse my geographic ignorance, but I didn't realize that India
continued on the east side of Bangladesh.

George H.

Re: OT fun street
That's not really surprising. This part of India is collectively
known as North-East India although I often wonder why the 'North'
part is included in the name. It's connected to the main body of
India by a narrow strip of land between SE Nepal and NW Bangladesh.

The region is now divided into seven separate states, sometimes
called the Seven Sisters. Few of the native inhabitants feel very
Indian. We're often mistaken for foreigners in mainland India.

Re: OT fun street

Years ago I drove down highway 1 with some other physics grad students.
We had to ask one of the foreign guys not to drive... too scary.

George H.

Re: OT fun street
On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 06:36:33 -0700 (PDT), George Herold

Guard rails are for sissies.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT fun street

In many places in Europe - Italy particularly comes to mind - guard
rails aren't used because the coaches overhang the edges on corners.  It
can be quite unnerving as a passenger, but the driver will just shrug
and say, "I know where my wheels are."

Cheers
--
Clive

Re: OT fun street
e:
.

 Rincewind, (Terry Pratchett)
?I?m not going to ride on a magic carpet!? he hisse
d. ?I?m afraid of grounds!?
?You mean heights,? said Conina.  ?And stop being s
illy.?
?I know what I mean!  It?s the grounds that kill you.?
?

(semi-electronics related.)

George H.

Site Timeline