OT: Fridge repair, side-by-side, how long does freezer last?

The thermostat in our Kenmore side-by-side fridge is croaking. New one is on the way. I estimate the repair will take me an hour, considering the removal of some panels and stuff.

The fridge door will be open that whole time, with the food from the fridge side removed. I'd like not to have to empty the whole freezer side because finding other places would be tough. This fridge is the usual circulating air deal. I can plug or tape the bottom air transfer port but not the upper one because the thermostat capillary snakes through there.

I can hardwire it for an hour or so before this job and cool the freezer side down to the max which is about -15F. Would that make the food in there survive for an hour? Two hours if things don't go smoothly? Is there a major risk that this whole open door repair process will cause the evapoator coils to freeze up after I plug it back in?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

tirsdag den 24. april 2018 kl. 23.35.03 UTC+2 skrev Joerg:

the manual for my top half fridge, bottom half freezer says it'll keep the temperature below -9'C for 30 hours with no power I think others are similar it won't tell you how long it'll last with a door open but at least it's a data point

room for for some bags of ice and salt? that's -20'C

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Take out the freezer food... wrap in newspaper then wrap up in towels. That will keep cool for hours.Oh, and store in a cool palce- not out in the sunshine :)

TTman

What's a newspaper?

Reply to
tom

It should hold for at least an hour. Biting the bullet I recently defrosted our upright freezer. I packed everything up in a foam chest along with a bunch of freeze paks. Took me almost three hours using a hot air gun :-( The stuff in the foam chest was still hard. ...Jim Thompson

           To those of us in my age bracket...

           GREEN means inexperienced and/or incompetent.

+1, I use a high speed fan to defrost fridges & freezers and that takes an hour. No sense taking the stuff out.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

When we defrost our upright freezer, we take all the food out and lay it on towels. Then we defrost, which takes over an hour. The frozen food remains frozen - it doesn't even appear to begin to thaw. You're not even taking the food out - you'll be fine.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Don't worry about it, the heat capacity of melting ice is more than enough to keep it at 32 at the worst, for hours.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

hot water works well, more kilowatts and more control I guess.

--
     ?
Reply to

[...]

As others have said, it will probably  be just fine for an hour or two.
Fill as many soda bottles and plastic milk jugs as you can about 3/4 full
with water and stuff the freezer full to maximize the mass.  Put the water
in over a few days so you don't overwhelm the freezer.  Freeze them in the
upright position and then screw on the cap and orient however gets the most
in there.  I did that before a hurricane passed by several years ago, and
just left the water in  unless I needed more shelf space, in case of a power
failure (I only seem to keep my freezer 1/3-1/2 full).
Reply to
Carl Ijames

When I thaw food for cooking, taking it out in the morning and placing it on the 25 degrees surface of the stove it takes several hours before even the surface is thawed

So you will be good

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Most freezers can survive around 12 hours power cut without compromising the food inside at all provided that you don't open the door. You could preload the freezer with freezer packs and containers of water to increase its thermal inertia if you are worried about a long down time. You could also mark the stuff presently in the freezer for first use if you do have thawing problems but I think it highly unlikely unless your kitchen ambient temperature is 60C or something crazy.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Something you'll find hidden in a cupboard or under the bed when you move house....

TTman

FWIW some things can thaw relatively quickly, but most don't. I've found lightweight foods most vulnerable, like cakes etc. Any that do get eaten first.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We have a side by side, different beast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No, something behind thems flat glass thangs upon which people keep pecking. Also good for other jobs.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, an hour should last. I guess I can always hot-wire it and close the door if the job rauns into snags. Such as hardware that absolutely won't come off.

Defrost should not be necessary with modern fridges because it's automatic.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, then I'll do it without unpacking.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, by now I also think so. Can't do the water jug thing because the frezer is very full and my wife wants this fixed prontissimo. Old American saying, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy" :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

When my defrost heating coil opened up, I just packed all the frozen stuff in coolers while I installed a new one. If you are worried get a little dry ice. I have two grocery stores locally that sell dry ice, you might too. As to how long does a freezer last, Mine Kenmore sidr by side is 23 years old. I doubt it's as efficient as it once was, I don't notice it though. Probably wasn't built as efficient as the newer ones, but probably will last longer than a newer one. Mikek

Reply to
amdx