OT: Firefox Hiccup

Picked up an additional problem...

When I open a new tab in Firefox I get the Yahoo Search

In settings I have selected Google as default and unchecked all others, but Yahoo won't go away.

Searched down thru the list of installed files, nothing I can pin it on. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I set my default under search to be duckduckgo.com, left yahoo checked (all that means is the option is available in the search bar), and under general I selected "Show my home page" and set the homepage to be

No problem through the last dozen or so updates - 40.0.3 is current. Same behavior under linux and windows 7.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

I have the same problem whenever Firefox updates.

Unchecking doesn't work - the checks mean only to suggest alternatives.

What seems to work is to open the pulldown menu in the search box in the upper right (hover over the magnifying glass sign at the left in the search box and you will see a tiny triangle), and remove both Yahoo and Yahoo Engine. You can reinstate these later if desired.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Only one?

Yep, that's a setting: Inscribe: about:config in the Firefox adress bar. Search for: browser.newtab.url and edit the setting to point to your favorite search page, or empty to use a blank new tab. There are also an add-on to make it easier to customize your browser:

If you're going to be customizing, I suggest you first make a backup of "settings only" using MozBackup:

It's probably imbedded itself in other places. If you feel ambitious, go unto: about:config and search for Yahoo. Mine found about 12 instances. Leave them alone and just remove them from the search provider list at: about:preferences#search

Use a sharper pin.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yahoo has gone entirely to the dark side. All sorts of utilities are full of Yahoo hooks, and I think they are paying off Mozilla too.

That's a partial fix.

You have to edit about:config and search for all instances of Yahoo and change them. May as well look for level3 and purge them, too.

Surprisingly, except for the time it to me to install all my schtuff (8 days :-), it's gone quite well.

Only two painful events:

(1) Installing PSpice, unlike previous installs, the environment variable for the license file was not set... that gave me a couple days of sleeplessness, before I tracked that down.

(2) The Adobe Acrobat event :-( Turned out to be beneficial... Foxit Phantom is superior to Adobe, plus I figured out how to install Adobe Distiller without licensing requirements... I can now automatically do PS -> PDF conversions.

Thanks for the tips! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

[snip]

Not a problem (at least for now), but I note a printer: "Print to Evernote".

What is that? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hi, Jim -

Upper right corner of a page, click on Open menu

Click Options

Left side menu, click Search

Set your preferences there

Reply to
John S

It's a cloud-based work anywhere utility - sync with your phone, access from multiple computers etc. Free version comes with Windows distributions, professional upgrade for only 49.95/yr. One more way to put your stuff where the spooks can read it.

Uninstall.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Evernote links may have been installed on your new machine: It's a cloud based scratch pad, similar to Google Docs. It runs in a browser and requires no installed programs. However, some links and shortcuts may have been installed.

Here's a crude example of some notes I just created:

I have an account, but only because a client insisted that we use it for beating to death some collaborative documents. It was nice to be able to see changes as they happen, but the end result was patchwork graffiti and required the services of a tech writer to make it presentable.

You could probably also use it to post schematics, PDF's, ltSpice files, etc instead of putting them on your web pile or in alt.binaries.schematics.electronics. Use your imagination.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I thought I had it solved, but still got the new tab stuff. There is a bug in this as well - I'd get lost in loops where I'd be looking at w page, and it would abruptly switch to a Yahoo search about nothing relevant. If one kept hitting the back arrow, it would often give up and allow one to read the desired page.

Jeff L gives lots of details about hunting Yahoo down and wiping it out. The other solution is Opera and/or Safari.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Make sure you're not using a level3 DNS. That gets you tangled with Yahoo too. 4.2.2.1 and such. It's like Putin and Assad: the bad guys like to get together.

I use google 8.8.8.8 which seems reliable and fairly benign.

[snip]
[snip]
[snip]

Jeff Liebermann provided the solution in...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The last time i tried Safari, i found it to be a (to be polite) a POS and prone to crashing so bad one was forced to do a (mechanical) SWITCH power off reset. Opera,at that time also had crash problems,but at least the OS was still alive. That is why I avoid them like the plague.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I don't prefer Safari, but do try it when a website is acting up. Apple has fixed most of the serious problems of late.

Opera mostly works for me, though it has required mercy killing a few times (but so have all the other browsers).

Firefox used to be my main browser, but its usability has been plummeting recently - the recent Yahoo problems being the poster child.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Check on FireFox; i use an older version (in WinXP and Win7) and refuse to "upgrade".

Reply to
Robert Baer