OT: Firefox 26 and PDFCreator 1.7.2 - non-searchable text

I've spent the past hour or so trying to discover while printing using PDFCreator 1.72 in Firefox 26 why I no longer get searchable PDFs.

In the past I have created searchable PDFs and now becoming extremely frustrated that I can't find a solution! I'm sure I'm likely using the wrong key words in Google but I feel rather stuck!

Can anyone help.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Did you try to use from Firefox File -> Print -> Print to File?

It's work well in Linux.

Reply to
Artem

Many thanks.

Unfortunately there is no option in the Windows variety to print to file. I can "Save as" but that's not really what I want.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

The other way is install driver for any PostScript. Print to .ps file and convert to pdf.

Reply to
Artem

You can print to the printer driver "PDFcreator" in the print menu.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Perhaps I wasn't clear, but that is precisely what I am doing and while I get a nice PDF printout file, it is no longer searchable.

A while ago this route most definitely provided a searchable PDF, but doesn't any more.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Many thanks.

Would the .ps file contain any character information?

The issue is that the header and footer of each PDF page that contain the URL and date etc are searchable but the text in the actual page isn't.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

I use PDF995, and the resulting file is searchable. It is a shell for Ghostscript, and looks like a printer to the computer. I use it with Firefox 26.0. I simply print the page, and have PDF995 selected as the default printer.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes. It's works. I'm just checked.

Reply to
Artem

I have a similar issue. I use CutePDF to output a PADS schematic, but it's not searchable. I think PADS outputs characters as line/vector things, as if it was doing a Gerber file.

CutePDF and Foxit Reader together allow searches of pdf's created from things like Word and Firefox web pages.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Altium Designer have a very good PDF writer. Very easy for navigate through components, nets etc.

Reply to
Artem

I just tried the "print driver" but opened that result pdf file in Adobe.

It is searchable.

I also tried with CutePdf and it too was searchable.

To be clear, I "printed" the CutePdf.com web page into a .pdf file from both PDFcreater (1.7.2) and CutePdf (3.0).

Both files are searchable inside of Adobe X (10.1.8.24).

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Many thanks - I shall look into this.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

CutePDF is 3.7.

Reply to
hamilton

If you don't mind DjVu format, you can convert and OCR a document at

I use that a lot with patents.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Open a PDFCreator - PDF print monitor window. Click on Printer | Options | Format | Security tab

Is the box "Use security"at the top ticked? If it is, and the section "Disallow user to"..."Copy text and images" box is also ticked, then untick it, or untick the "Use security" box. I'm just wondering if disallowing copying also disallows searching.

--

Jeff
Reply to

I really appreciate all the help here. I have come to the conclusion that this must be Firefox thing as there are some words on the page in question that are selectable and others seem to be converted into a graphical format.

I starting to wonder if this might well be a print CSS issue, as the webpage itself is entirely searchable.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

I was looking at a Atmel pdf file in Firefox.

They now have their own pdf viewer.

Inside the browser, in their home grown pdf viewer, I could not search that pdf file.

I highlighted some text and hit Ctrl-c, hit Ctrl-f and I see the normal (?) search window at the bottom of the screen.

I insert that selected text (Ctrl-v) and it could not find the text I just highlighted !?!

But if I view this same file in Adobe, it can find everything.

Go figure.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton