OT Excluding Google in search results?

Have you tried adding the search term -google.com?

-- White folks think they're at the top, | Faded, patched, secret so tight... ask any proud white male. | I'm whoever you want me to be. A million years of evolution, | Annoying Usenet one post at a time. and we get Danny Quayle. | At least I can stay in character.

Reply to
Acid Washed China Blue Jeans

Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

Reply to
John Doe

Yes.

--

news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news.glorb.com!feeder.erje.net!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.politics.liberalism,sci.electronics.design

posting-host="pUADiEieT7Tthx1ld39FyQ"; logging-data="21823"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/mVplOm8K1i3jv3gJCnfYq"

Reply to
John Doe

Use another search engine. After someone mentioned it here in the group I am now using this one instead and it is IMHO much better, at least for engineering stuff:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Artemus

Another advantage to using duckduck is that they claim they Do No Tracking metrics on anyone searching, AND they claim they dont store search histories. Whereas with Google, marketing dynamics are Important to them so they track and store Lots More Then Some Folks like.

Reply to
hp

I am not too concerned about tracking but lately Google has produced way too many results that appear to be more commercially motivated. Maybe that seach engine has run its course, at least for me. It was good while it lasted but now I've pretty much abandoned it.

What I still use it for is maps. But I found that the print-out has become mediocre. Can't see streets well anymore, the two lines don't print right. If anyone knows a better map search engine that would be nice.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That mentions the "annoying affiliate links". FWIW... I recall that being mentioned in a congressional hearing televised on C-SPAN recently. You can find the Google search hearing(s) on C-SPAN's website, if interested.

--
Thanks to the replies.
Reply to

-site:google.com will exclude google.com. Rinse and repeat for other Google properties.

"-site:google.com mail" (for example) lists Yahoo! Mail, Home | Mail Online, mail.com, hotmail.com, AOL Webmail and others without any mention of Gmail.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

I used to use Altavista, mainly because of its ability to include or exclude entire websites or high-level domains. For example, I can force returns on only websites in Iran with [+domain:ir] .

This is especially useful when researching current events, as you can exclude national domains which will are likely to offer only officially sanitized versions of events. Or you might actually want to see the official propaganda, or harvest e-mail addresses from a particular domain. (I mentioned Iran, since I like to harvest Iranian e-mail addresses to send subversive spam to.)

There really should be a browser plug-in to filter websites by national domain. With few exceptions, I have never found any information of value on Russian or Chinese websites, and I contracted the worst computer virus ever from a Russian website. Articles that may be truthful are likely to be repeated on other countries' websites, so filtering Russian websites does not have any effect.

Reply to
Dänk 42Ø

Google is really starting to get to me. It's now a 'secure' site, htpps:// and asks all the time if I only want to see results from secure sites.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That appears to be the concise answer, thanks.

Now... Does anybody know how to put that in a URL so that it comes up properly on Google's advanced search page?

How do you put that (-site:google.com) into a URL that will take you to the advanced search page with that criteria ready to go? I can get to the search page, but it doesn't use that (-site:google.com) criteria. I suspect that is evidenced by the fact that the URL criteria is not automatically listed in any advanced search page box when you get back there. Having that code (-site:google.com) somehow fit into the "site/domain" box is probably the first sign of success, if possible.

Again... You can use the search results example URL, but it does not work as a start page.

That takes me back to the start page, but it does not use the URL criteria in the new search results.

Here is an example URL that plugs stuff into the advanced search page.

BTW... You might have trouble with the number of search results

100 if you do not know how to automatically reset that number, since Google stubbornly changes it back to 10.
--

> Rinse and repeat for other Google properties.
>
> "-site:google.com mail" (for example) lists Yahoo! Mail, Home | Mail
> Online, mail.com, hotmail.com, AOL Webmail and others without any
> mention of Gmail.

Reply to
John Doe

Along with some other sites that you don't want to see?

Try other search engines, some are much better IMHO.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Two that come to mind:

and

Which has:

I quit using Google when the Adblocker plugin to my browser reported over 800 hits by GoogleAnalytics scripts. They spy on everything you do.

mike

Reply to
m II

Check your search preferences for Google. I just did a search and got:

with no HTTPS links on the first page.

Michael A. Terrell

or

Arghhh! I have google set as my home page. I was just trying to remove it and make duckduck the home page. I can't get rid of google. (It's like a bad dream!) I'm using IE as a browser. When I go to the option to set home page to the default. (Some MSN thing.) It still goes back to google!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On 08 Nov 2011 17:33:07 GMT, John Doe put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm still using Google's very old Advanced Search format. I do this by saving a local copy of the old AS page on my hard drive, and then editing its URLs to point to Google.

You could do the same for the current AS page, but you would add "-site:google.com" in place of the blank text field, as follows:

all these words:

I allow Google to store my preferences (25 results) in a cookie.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

How is that supposed to be used? Is it part of a URL? Part of some HTML code?

--

>>BTW... You might have trouble with the number of search results
>>100 if you do not know how to automatically reset that number,
>>since Google stubbornly changes it back to 10.
>
> I allow Google to store my preferences (25 results) in a cookie.
>
> - Franc Zabkar
Reply to
John Doe

Assuming it's not a Google "tool bar" or something, run a virus scanner and a rootkit scanner. That sounds suspicious. Also, look at all the plug-ins. Lots of them may have been installed without your consent.

I'd ditch IE and move to something like Firefox. Set privacy settings and options rather high. If a web site won't properly display without allowing dangerous scripts then it usually isn't worth looking at in the first place.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On 08 Nov 2011 20:52:33 GMT, John Doe put finger to keyboard and composed:

Save the Advanced Search HTML page on your hard drive. Then edit the HTML code as shown. Create a bookmark that links to the file on your HDD and use it in preference to the original page.

Here is my first attempt. Save it on your HDD and try it:

I've partially edited Google's page, but I'm not good with HTML, so hopefully someone could tidy it up for you.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar