OT: Excel 2003 print problem

I don't know about your script, but I think I recall a setting in either Acrobat that allows setting viewing the "printed" document or not, after creation.

Acrobat can be a cantankerous, yet useful, tool. I print from Acrobat v7.0, "downsize" to v4.0, then process with v4.0's more user-friendly tools. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I have an Excel macro that prints a "shape" that i constructed to a PDF, using this script:

Application.ActivePrinter = "Acrobat PDFWriter on FILE:" ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Preview:= _ False, ActivePrinter:= "Acrobat PDFWriter on FILE:", PrintToFile:= _ False, Collate:=False, PrToFileName:=pPath + vNam

Now that PDF writer is via Acrobat 4.0, the only full version i have that can print. BUT, i also have Acrobat 9.5 (most recent version that works in Win2K), and what happens after the PDF file creation, is that Acrobat

9.5 pops up showing the result. I do *NOT* want that! No show-and-tell! How in the F do i prevent/stop that?
Reply to
Robert Baer

  • did not find anything that eXplicit in either 4.05 or in 9.5.0; is there anything more general to look for? Made a few restricting changes in both,to no avail.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Forget Excel.. I just printed a document to my PDF writer (courtesy of Adobe 4.05), and saw the EXACT same problem!

Reply to
Robert Baer

_

That might be an OS setting that A9.5 sets up at install time. May take some OS or registry surgery to change.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Finally dawned on me that the setting you are after is in the Printers section of Control Panel (at least in WinXP)...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Finally dawned on me that the setting you are after is in the Printers section of Control Panel (at least in WinXP)...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Finally dawned on me that the setting you are after is in the Printers section of Control Panel (at least in WinXP)...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You are prolly right; that garbage collection called the "registry" is not easy to find junk like this - much less fix it.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Excellent! Except............................. Ain't nuttin' lyque zatt in Win2K not even remotely similar. Tried "preferences" in all possible ways for 4.05 and 9.5.0; no clues. Thanks for the try.

Reply to
Robert Baer

My Win2K box is not yet back on the network, so I can't look, but are you sure you looked under printers in the control panel... NOT in the Adobe programs themselves? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I looked there as well as "properties" for the programs; no joy. Thanks for the continued interest & help.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Does is work (print) in Adobe 4? If so, changing the pdf file association in program preferences might work. In other words, tell the OS to print with Adobe 4 by removing the pdf file association with Adobe 9.

Also - and no disrepect... Are you SURE there is actually some content in that PDF, and not just a blank page?

Everyone here has been screwed by Adobe at some point. I'm just sayin'

Reply to
mpm

I have only one PDF printer and that is via Acrobat 4 to FILE:, so by default the inverse is Acrobat 4 is telling the OS it is a printer. However, having said that, using a part of your advice, i eXplicitly told the OS to use Acrobat 4 as the default viewer (instead of Acrobat 9). So now when i print to PDF (usually from Nerd), printing happens as usual to a file* and NOW, when done, i get an alert "Could not execute the Acrobat Viewer". So..need to find WTH that is (and obviously was) happening. Acrobat 4 by itself, NEVER acted that way.

Obviously, if i take a document and print (to a file), i wind up with a PDF with the same visual aspects. *but .. I have always gotten TWO files. Give PDF printer file name ARGGH.PDF and the result is two files, ARGGH.PDF (ZERO bytes), and ARGGH.PDF.pdf (contents OK). Noe the case change. Give PDF printer file name HGGRA and the result is two files, HGGRA (ZERO bytes), and HGGRA.pdf (contents OK).

Reply to
Robert Baer