OT Electronic Stocks for 2018 and beyond

An investment in bitcoin is a bet against quantum computing.

Jasen Betts

In these times there is some risk just to keep up with inflation. I can't tell you investing in the stock market is a good idea today, although I am, but I can tell you that putting your money in the stock market over the last 70 years has been a good idea. And I expect it will continue to be a way to grow money. There is magic in compound interest! The earlier you start saving, the more compounding. The average historical return of the S&P 500 is 10%. If you invested your $500,000 today, at 65 yrs old you would have about $8.7 Million dollars with buying power reduced to about $3.5 Million because of inflation. If you start saving and investing today and save $500,000 in the next

30 years, you could have 1.5 Million to retire on. Fudging that because I don't know the saving rate or have a calculator to test numbers on.

I'm guessing, people will still want to eat, have a home, furnish it, fly on vacation, much will be different, but it will still take business to build and supply products.

An IRA is just an investment in a business, a business may fail, so buy a hundred or a thousand businesses through a mutual fund. If they all fail, America has failed, I'm betting on America. I know people that got out of the stinking stock market in 2009 and are still out today. If they stayed in, they would have quadrupled their money. Clearly they know they made a huge mistake.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

There's also the issue that I won't invest my money in funds that hold stock in companies whose business models I find distasteful. I don't put money into alcohol companies, tobacco companies, "defense"/weapons manufacturers, petroleum companies, and so on. Naturally it's usually the companies I won't spend my money on which often have the best returns.

But for me if the consequence of that personal decision is I only end up with say 1 million for retirement rather than 4 then I accept that and wouldn't grumble over it.

Reply to
bitrex