OT: Dumbest Judicial Ruling, EVER...

There's no law that the grant has to be made on one hand, and on the other hand these cities are ignoring federal law.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Your link was mangled; this is the real one

Reply to
whit3rd

ught that the judicial ruling was dumb - the simplest explanation is that h e is a knee-jerk right-winger and thinks that any judicial ruling favouring sancturary cities has to be wrong, but his choice of word suggests that he imagines that there is something specific that he could have pointed to if he were game to take the risk of being shown up as a total nitwit, again.

it was significant? I might be ignorant - from Jim's rather perverse point of view - but I'm not silly enough to waste my time like that.

Everything else Jim posts links to is.

Why should I? If you knew a bit more about what IQ tests measure, you would n't be quite so in awe of them. I seem to have aced all the IQ tests I did, but I don't really need to know that I can soak up instruction - I did all of that a long time ago.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson in vintage form.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Washington Times is right wing?

I aced the SAT's as well... that's how I got the Alumni Fund National Scholarship to MIT.

What scholarship did you get?

I think you're AFRAID to take an IQ test... I'd whip your ass... you're clearly senile... I'm not.

Yep, you are a TWIT.

Slowman-out-of-touch-with-reality-Slowman in vintage form.

Bye. You're back to being ignored... I just have to reach out and punch you in the face periodically just for the fun of it >:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

This is starting to remind me of the boy that cried wolf....

Reply to
lonmkusch

[snip]

Nobody gives a rat's ass what you're reminded of. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Most US provincial newspapers are. The Washington Post isn't, but that is a different newspaper.

uldn't be quite so in awe of them. I seem to have aced all the IQ tests I d id, but I don't really need to know that I can soak up instruction - I did all of that a long time ago.

Just the regular Commonwealth Scholarship, which pretty much everybody did back then. If I'd gone to the University of Tasmania, I'd have got an extra $100 per year - I was 13th in the state on the university entrance exams, and the top ten got offered it, but enough of them rejected it that one got offered to me, and I rejected it too. My parents had enough money to send me across Bass Strait to the University of Melbourne, and enough sense (the y both had university degrees) to see that it was worth the money.

Senile delusion.

Can't even invent your own insults. And when I call you that, I do it with chapter and verse on the bit of reality that you have ignored. The proposit ion that I'm any kind of twit does fly in the face of a lot of reality that you don't seem to have the wit left to appreciate.

More senile delusions. Jim's bark is worse than his bite.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Jim would like to think that, but even his decaying brain has to recognise that nobody really care whom Jim Thompson killfiles, least of all the people who become the targets of his toothless abuse when he stops killfiling them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

A government grant is not a handout as such, but a transfer of wealth based on criteria, and subject to such conditions, as specified by Congress.

I haven't looked at the relevant legislation, but it appears that the executive government has sought to impose conditions not envisaged by Congress, and it has no power to do that.

One can debate whether the condition is a sensible one, but that's not the judge's role. His role is to decide whether the condition is lawful, and he's said it's not.

If the executive still wants to impose the condition, it need only ask Congress to change the law. Congress might, or it might not, and that's their decision, not the executive's, nor the judge's.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Says the top posting anonynous troll who quoted Bills entire message within his own signature.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Non sequitur: What people do when they have no relevant response.

Reply to
lonmkusch

Wrong. Conditions for grants are determined by each _agency_. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Yes, each agency (agencies created by act of Congress) administers the grants according to the rules, in law, passed by Congress. A president is an administrative head over these agencies, not a dictator of the duties and conditions relating to grants.

It isn't a president funding the grants, but Congress. He just watches the agencies while they sign the checks.

Reply to
whit3rd

Have you been lying to me? You said it was my grant!

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

I repeat the question, "What makes you think I was referring to you?"

I believe the courts ruled in this case that the cities were *right* and that the rule of law was in their favor. So what the heck are you talking about? Do you understand the basis of the ruling?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

I ran into a similar issue with various member groups under the IEEE. Each group is an independent group there being no hierarchy, even though the regional groups are organized geographically which would seem to imply hierarchy. Other member groups have special purposes such as the various Consultants Network groups. Each member group has bylaws and typically the chair is really just the guy running the meetings with no special powers.

The regional group I was in published and mailed a printed newsletter. Some wanted to end that expense. The chair fired the editor of the newsletter days before a scheduled executive committee meeting (the governing body). I was in attendance at that meeting and pointed out he had no authority to do that. He became indignant and criticized me for complaining as I was new and he had been in the group for years. The next meeting he had the chair of the larger region group on the phone as if he had some authority over our group. I decided these guys were too full of it to have any interest in being part of the group any longer.

They were making the same mistake many here are making about this issue. They seem to feel the Federal government has unlimited authority to impose the will of the President. Certainly Trump feels that way and the courts have to regularly correct him. I don't think we have heard from one conservative who actually understands the issues involved.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

There's no law that says the Justice department has the final say in the matter either. You are aware that the courts have ruled on this issue, right? Are you suggesting the courts should be ignored?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

it was significant? I might be ignorant - from Jim's rather >perverse point of view - but I'm not silly enough to waste my time >like that. "

You're silly enough to post to argue against a point on which you are in ig norance. And you choose to stay in ignorance.

This is not from a conservative trying to tear you down. I think they shoul d increase grants to sanctuary cities, but then make them take ALL the ille gal immigrants. Unlike the uninformed among us, I know that Mexicans are no t the big problem. Most Mexicans are here to drop off a few kilos of pot, p erhaps work in the fields, whatever, not to create anchor babies. It is the middle eastern ones. At least now. Mexicans ? Try to carry two watermelons 400 feet without dropping one, though the mud and tilled field. Fact is, m any USians cannot do it.

And they are starting to go back. It is not easy to get welfare or any bene fits here. After havi9ng been a taxpayer for a long time and now had medica l issues I had to go through hell and high water to get medicaid. I can't g et a picture ID without a social security card, which got lost, and I can't get a social security card without a picture ID. Because of illegal immigr ati0n they tightened everything up. The legal immigration is worse for us b ecause the legal ones do get benefits, benefits which me and others have pa id for.

Trump played on this to get elected. That most people do not get here by si mply running across the border. They got boats and lanes and tunnels and wh o knows. They might be shipping pot (which is not really harmful) on JB Hun t. (one of our biggest carriers on trucks, lorries if you want the Brit wor d) But the fat is that a wall would be largely ineffective, it is just that most USians do not know this.

Reply to
jurb6006

Our Sunday morning dose of "coherency"... sigh :-( ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

There are lawful ways. First of all, a sheriff outranks federal agents and can arrest them. However, a city is not likely to have a sheriff. There are also lawful ways if the state pr whatever is declared a "Home rule state" ir whatever.

But what I am seeing is that they are simply refusing to comply with federa l mandates which in and of itself is not against the law. And the purse str ings are the key the feds use. They should not be able to do that but the w orld is not perfect. Like when nationwide 55 MPH came around, Nevada almost told them to f*ck off, because quite frankly, they had plenty of money. No t to lose the federal highway money, if you drove over 55 they gave you a t icket for wasting energy. No points on your license and the fine was like t en bucks. Like Georgia, they almost don't give a shit how fast you go.

But those cities did not really break the law. There is nothing stopping im m9igration from sitting in front of a building and stopping everyone who wa lks for ID. Unless the city intterferes with that, they are OK. To actually interfere, they need the support of the sheriff's office, otherwise they a re actually breaking the law.

Reply to
jurb6006