ot drilling glass

Maybe marketing. Argon makes it sound higher-tech.

Cheers

Phil "storm windows rule" Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Some do. Lots fail before then. Abus & ad hominem only shows your inability to discuss rationally.

Reply to
tabbypurr

rnal, meaning air access to the units is from outside not inside. Thus they are exposed to the lower water vapour content outdoor air. Such setups alm ost never mist, and when they do they clear promptly.

g else nowadays. As a result we have sealed units that can be filled with f ancy gases for a little extra insulation - until it leaks out. And when the seals go... it's new unit time, or drill them etc.

are the solution exists, and the dg companies aren't ever going to profit b y mentioning it. So inherently faulty designs are the norm. So much so that UK BR actually require that now.

?

Almost all window loss is conduction, or in some cases draughts. If house i nteriors were red hot it'd be different.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Sunday, 26 March 2017 12:44:38 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: NT:

It's far from dry in lots of places, including England. It doesn't need to be dry for dg to not mist.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

om:

or leak rate

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Air conditioning makes

Reply to
pcdhobbs

.com:

ok

I would think that once the seal is holed it'll all leak out whatever it is in a relatively short space of time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm not sure what you were going to say, but ac makes no difference to mist ing of the design I mentioned. As long as indoor temp is at least as high a s outdoor, outdoor RH can be anything and it won't mist. Misting only ocurs when indoors is colder AND outdoor is very close to 100% RH for long enoug h for condensation to build up. Those conditions seldom happen.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Don't forget convection. This is why the standard spacer is 12mm - it's a tradeoff for convection/conduction with air or argon.

The radiation transfer is made lower with low-emissivity coatings, which can go down to e=0.03. Argon also protects the coating.

I don't know if the coating reached the production, but one company had reached emissivity of 0.015. They had trouble measuring that low..

--
mikko
Reply to

Window glass (like other oxides) is completely opaque in the thermal IR, so the radiation loss depends only on the temperature of the outer pane.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Never been to New York in the summer, I gather. ;) It's commonly 30 degrees warmer outside, and of course 100 degrees and 90% humidity means a _lot_ of water in the air. Houston can have weeks in a row of weather like that.

See Point 1. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

CO2 has a gamma in the range of 0.3, compared to diatomic gases at 0.41, monatomic gases around 0.6. Gamma is a measure of the relative rotational energy of collisions, which matters, according to Phil (and I'm inclined to trust him!).

Monatomic gases don't carry any rotational energy (that are visible in their collisions at ordinary temperatures).

If Xenon is the champ, that'll be the high molecular weight. I suppose that helps, though I can't see why. Or maybe it's just easier to contain?

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Lots are installed improperly or have been damaged along the way.

When you lie, expect to be called on it.

Reply to
krw

I did wonder about a plumbed DG system with an aquarium pump & tiny dehumidifier. If misting starts, run the pump for an hour. Easy to do at new build, less so for retrofit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

OK, I don't need to take you too seriously in future.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Oh, I'm so disappointed!

Reply to
krw

I did some more looking and it looks to me ( I may have misread some charts ) that one could use freon R134a and cut the thermal conductivity in about half of what one gets with Argon.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Pity about the global warming potential. It doesn't attack the ozone layer, but Europe has already banned it as a greenhouse gas.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ion?

the kT (~25 meV) range of energies. More complicated molecules have lots of rovibrational states in that range, so they transfer more energy per co llision, which makes them disappointing as insulators.

with Argon instead of CO2. My copy of the Chemical Handbook has CO2 as be ing slightly better than Argon as far as thermal conductivity. I would not think that there is enough moisture that carbonic acid would cause problem s.

Huh.. should be cheaper too. From here,

tml

"You?ll notice that krypton has the lowest thermal conductivity of the bunch; unfortunately it is rather expensive, so is only used in a small percentage of the most energy efficient windows (particularly triple-glaze d windows where the thinner space between panes allows a smaller amount of the gas to be used). Carbon dioxide has low conductivity as well, but can b e reactive when it meets moisture, so it?s not suitable for a glazi ng gas. Argon is the next best gas"

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Right, I have no idea where convection starts... (some delta T vs separation?) But once it does seems like any advantage of Argon will be lost.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold