OT: downloading of a file

Remember i am on dial-up so a long file (>2megs) takes a long time and the longer the time, the more likely it can be trashed or lost. My particular problem is that i cannot download the following:

which is about 14Megs in size. It always terminates somewhere in the middle (using NetScrape's "download manager"). I tried GetIt Right, and it instantly dies with a 403. But recently, i had to install AVG and update it, which took *two hours* and everything went OK, raising the question do they do on-the-fly error checking and backtrack on error? If so, then that amazing 2-hr stint can be ignored.

  • How can i get that NVIDIA file?
Reply to
Robert Baer

Assuming you mean GetRight (the download manager), a 403 means that the referring page isn't what those guys require. (aka: We're anal and you have to do it OUR way--no leaching or linking.) A download manager doesn't give a referring page, so you're stuck.

Find a neighbor/friend with a fast connection and a CD burner.

Reply to
JeffM

I could try and post it to abse. Some people might cry tho.

Martin Riddle

I bet it terminates around 10 megs? :)

"

Reply to
Jamie

The site seems to dislike non-standard user agents. I get the 403 error with wget unless I tell it to pretend to be Mozilla, using

-U "Mozilla/5.0"

If GetItRight lets you specify the user agent, you could try that. Failing which, finding a DOS/Windows version of wget would let you retrieve the file.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I was able to download the file using Lightning Download. All I had to do was copy the URL to the clipboard, and Lightning Download started up automatically.

Reply to
Andy

What if someone emailed it to you? Is 14Megs too big for that?

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

We *all* could; then at least one would get through :) :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Someone was *VERY* kind and sent me the file broken into 500K UUE files. After stripping off the (variable length) e-mail headers and the 4 blank lines at the end, and *then* combining to a large (21,364150 bytes) file, i was able to decode to a decent EXE (untried so far).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Got it courtesy of a very nice person; see response to previous.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Mozilla??? But i am using NetScrape which is supposedly "same".

Reply to
Robert Baer

I am on dial-up; that might be iffy. But i have it now; see previous response in that regard.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That seems rather large.

Don't run it unless you trust the person who sent it to you. It could easily be a trojan horse.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I misconstrued what you said. The final file size should be 15,260,160.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I can only assume that GetItRight is interfering with that.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Follow instructions; in C:\\TEMP that has NV8269.EXE, i issue: NV8269.EXE /C /Q /T:C:\\TEMP Get error message on desktop: "That folder is invalid. Please make sure the folder exists and is writable." (OK)

*NOT* OK; obviously the folder DOES exist! So, i try running the EXE by itself and get the following error message courtesy of WinZip:

Extracting file: C:\\My Documents\\ENCODES.uue\\nv8269.exe Extracting to "C:\\Temp\\" Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no Extracting LAYOUT.BIN Extracting SETUP.BMP Extracting SETUP16.BMP CAB file nv8269.exe is corrupt

Help!

Reply to
Robert Baer

It may seem to be large, but this is ASCII characters which makes it larger; the decoded EXE is 14,903 Kbytes in size.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I calculate that is about the 14,903Kb i have. BUT. Since the file i have crashes (see previous message), would you be kind enough to e-mail the EXE zipped up? Yes, i know, it is already a ZIP file in self-extracting form.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Most likely; i start dozing before that and when i wake up, *poof*. Once, tho, it "completed" giving me a ~530K file.

Reply to
Robert Baer

OK. Should be on its way soon, provided the upload of the email doesn't fail. I'm going to bed (nearly 1am here), so I'll check it tomorrow.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else