OT: DOS-based test software

I need a program that will determine a computer's hardware: total RAM, [if running inside a given OS for it to report how much is eaten by the OS, how much physical space unused,total virtual and how much unused]; hard drives (make/model, size, free space); floppy drive capability, serial ports,parallel ports,USB and specs (1/2/3), Ethernet card etc..

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:24:25 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

Insert a Linux live CD, start a terminal window and

type: dmesg

type: lspci

type: lsusb

type: vmstat

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Tim

Tim Williams

DOS based software will not detect USB. Use a Linux live CD.

--
Dipl.-Inform(FH) Peter Heitzer, peter.heitzer@rz.uni-regensburg.de
HTML mails will be forwarded to /dev/null.

I used to use a DOS bootdisk with a program called 'syschk' on it, but thats a _long_ time ago. Search for "best boot disk" or "universal boot disk" for a CD image with a bunch of utilities. Cheers

Reply to
Wond

DOS based diagnostics will NOT detect anything that is NOT in the BIOS. That means anything that needs a driver in either AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS will not be detected unless you have the driver installed on boot. For example, ethernet cards, USB devices, firewire devices, and SCSI devices, will not be detected. I suspect that you may also have problems seeing devices plugged into a PCI-e bus. You may also get some strange results with EMS/XMS memory and ramdisks.

If you want a more specific answer, you may find it useful to disclose the exact DOS operating system (MSDOS/PCDOS/DRDOS/FreeDOS/etc).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Have you tried ASTRA32 ? it is a windows based tool that reports lots of what you are asking for.

Reply to
alan.yeager.2013

I like that UltimateBootCD, but...where the F do i find the TRUE download link (_NO_ f'ing downloader BS)?

Reply to
Robert Baer

what you are asking for. First i have heard of it; got it now; thanks!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Go thee unto the very bottom of the page and ye shall find what ye seek: That will take you to another download page, which will also offer two download choices. The lower one is the correct download button. Please consider this ordeal process as a filter so that only those worthy of running the program can find it.

You can also find it with various Bitorrent searches. You can also search for "UBCD download". However, note that there are several packages with the same acronym. For example:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

by

Inaccurate. Antique MSDOS cannot, more modern DOSs can; like FreeDOS.

Nor is that the least of the issues, DOS memory reporting before QEMM and the like was pitiful, and still largely is.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Are you forgetting that he can't figure out how to burn an ISO file into a bootable disk? We went through all that with Clonezilla.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

  • I see only one downoad "button" and that is for the totally unrelated "zip" thinggie.
  • Qualified maybe; file name was "firefox-0.8.tar" at 9.4Mb. Everything else i found looked very much like the ultimatebootcd.com site, or _was_ BitTorrent itself - and the info concerning that was, to be polite, lacking. Maybe the firefox doozie writes a stand-alone CD, hoo nose?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Like I said go to the *BOTTOM* of the page, where you will find a link that is labeled "Download Ultimate Boot CD" and "Download366.com/ultimate-B". I could supply a direct link, but you'll never learn anything if I make it too easy. If you are unable to scroll to the bottom of the page and find the links, there's little that I can do to assist you in operating your mouse and keyboard.

The type of questions you ask can probably best be handled by a forum or mailing list specific to the application. For example, UBCD has a user forum at:

Oops. The sourceforge site is screwed up. The list of downloadable files isn't much better. Never mind.

BitTorrent is fairly easy. For Windoze, try uTorrent at: To find files, there are various search pages. For example: Picking which one to download, and making sure you didn't download a virus or software bomb is the real problem.

Nope. The UBCD Sourceforge site seems to be some kind of mistake. Sorry.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Click on the "Download UBCD" link first in the table of contents on the left hand side of the home page.

Then scroll down to the bottom and pick one of the "ISO" disk symbols in the "Mirror sites" tables.

Here are some of them:

John Devereux
Reply to
John Devereux

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
 deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
Reply to
G. Morgan

... which leads to yet another merry chase around the web page looking for the real download link. Note that the page says that the download version is 5.1.1 while the real current version is 5.2.5.

However, when I actually download something from the link at the bottom of the page: Instead of a 521MByte ISO file, I get a UBCD525.iso that's only 8.1 MBytes big. No viruses found, but obviously, that's not going to work.

Anyway, this one works:

Aren't computahs wonderful?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

...but a BIT taxing!

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Seems the link takes me to the useless ad crap
  • No such links exist;the two are "Windows Boot CD Download" for SpotMau crap, and "Download PC Cleaner Plus".

Do no have the foggiest idea as to what "BitTorrent" does; i pass. At least i now have Astra which is VERY spiffy (but not a stand-alone

- must be installed).

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Oh; i thought that was a bunch of dead ads..

  • Aint nutting there...thankfully you provided the links.
  • Google came up..Arabic?? ..truncating that URL by leaving off the ubcd525.iso gave me a goodly index. GIGANTIC! Near 2 hours download on high speed (would that be a week or so on dial-up?). Gack!
Reply to
Robert Baer