OT: Does my product need CE Marking?

Yea, it might be nice to get an answer to this question with regard to my part the Codatron(TM, but the search resolved to some observations; the reason for this posting.

CE Marking is most probably required if you export to the 27 European Union (EU) and 3 European Free Trade Association (EFTA) member states. Of 20 groups of products, only those that might be applicable are stated below.

GROUP 3. Low Voltage Electrical Equipment DIRECTIVE 73/23/EEC >>General Discussion: INCONSISTENT! (if not generous, say "liars") In Scope, 2.3(a) "The Low Voltage Directive is not designed to impose safety standards." BUT this directive eXplicitly mandates "safety of persons, domestic animals or property".>Discussion: Compliant to 1a via Data Sheet, to 1b via label, to 1c being a completely assembled item (customer responsible thereafter), and compliant to 1d by design.>Discussion: Compliant to 2a, 2b, 2c and 2d by design.>Discussion: Compliant to 3a, 3b and 3c by design.>Discussion: The Codatron(TM) might be considered a "control component" only if a resistor or a diode or like item is considered as such. It is not a "protective system" as described, nor is it an "essential" component as described. However, "potentially explosive atmosphere" does indeed apply when used in downhole equipment, BUT a steel rod for drilling would be a better "fit" to this Directive. NOTE their improper tense and use of the word "Used".

Reply to
Robert Baer

Martin Riddle

Back when they started to enforce CE and we had not yet had our systems certified, we tried to ship some equipment to Germany and had it held up. finally convinced them that it was a prototype and they let it slide. Got the CE mark soon after that. Don't know if ISO9000 is a prerequisite for CE product certification.

Reply to
Oppie

No, that's not true. We certainly didn't waste time on ISO9000 bullshit and had no problems getting a CE mark on any of the products we needed it on. The CE mark is a joke. Hand them the money and start the printing press.

Reply to
krw

CE can be self-certified; all you have to do is keep a conformance file on your premises. I'm pretty sure ISO9000 isn't required.

Yes; i noticed that self-certification clause. But what is that "conformance" file, what MUST it have, and what else should it have for pit-nickers?

You have seen my ten-second "analysis"; seems to me that resistors and diodes do not need a CE certification - even if used in downhole equipment.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You have to decide what are all the specs to be conformed to (a major effort in itself), collect proof that all the required tests were passed, which you can do yourself if you have the equipment, or have a test lab do it for you. Then write and sign a CE Declaration of Conformity. I did one a couple of weeks ago; there are prototypes on the web. All that paperwork has to be kept in a conformity file on the premises of the manufacturer. How some functionaries from Brussels will verify that is obscure.

,

t and

=A0The

That was my impression as well. You're paying for the mark, not necessarily conforming to sound engineering practices. Though the two are not mutually exclusive of course.

The motivation for seeking the mark in the first palce is likely a (misguided?) attempt to reign in product liability concerns.

Reply to
mpm

That's not so. We have eight or so products that are CE, all properly tested by pros, and we're not ISO. Nobody asked about it.

ISO9000 is not required. ISO9000 is about quality control. Note the word 'control'. It means that if you make a crappy product which fails after 3 days every unit should fail after 3 days.

If you are in Europe then you can self certify. If you want to make it easy for yourself you can simply buy the stickers instead of printing them yourself.

If you want to export into Europe then you'll need to get your product certified.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Example ISO9000 Toast Making Process

Insert bread into toaster Switch on Leave until smoke or flame is observed Eject Toast Smother any flames with fire blanket Scrape off black charcoal with knife Continue until colour matches shade card "light brown #6" =ISO9000 Toast

BS5750 was worse. All the pain and no international recognition. It was quite easy to lock in place bad processes with it because no one could face the hassle of updating the approved controlled documents.

Japanese manufacturing was much more sensible - anyone could suggest a minor improvement and if the peer group agreed it would get tried out. In this example "how about using a timer on the toaster?"...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

El 21-02-12 4:30, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz escribió:

Who is "them" with regards handing money?

CE marking is a self-certification scheme for many products (like consumer products). If there is a product standard for your product, and you are willing to follow that standard, you may do the certification (administrative procedures and measurements) yourself.

However many companies use a test house. This may be helpful in case of disputes. When you meet the product std, it is assumed you meet the essential requirements of the relevant EU directive.

If there is no product standard, or you don't want to use that, or you are making a safety critical product, the procedure is more elaborate as involvement of a notified body is required.

--
Wim
PA3DJS

You ain't real bright.

No shit, cursory glance boy. You almost got that one right.

It is ALSO a REQUISITE of CE certification.

Yeah. You got that part wrong too. It is about documentation.

You really are an idiot. After one day.

You can self certify here as well, idiot. We did, because we were certified by CE to do so, and half our business was in the UK, as were some of our facilities. SO, if you can self certify, you can self certify. There is no "if you are in Europe" requisite.

Pretty stupid to "add" such a marking on a single label. Doesn't lend itself to high levels of credence. Incorporation into your main product label or hard branded into the package itself is far better.

No shit. It's called CE. Been around for a long time.

Reply to
WoolyBully

lse

I added two blanks before and after @

join the IEEE group that discusses this EXACT issue

emc-pstc @ ieee.org

This appears on the end of every posting:

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc- pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

Website:

Instructions:
List rules:

For help, send mail to the list administrators: Scott Douglas Mike Cantwell

For policy questions, send mail to: Jim Bacher David Heald

The responses will be EXTREMELY fast and complete, citing which you must comply with, probably give you a list of NRTL's if you need testing done to add to your self-certification folder and supply you with the EXACT wording for your Declaration of Compliance (DoC), which must be signed by an officer of your firm.They'll even supply you with European contacts if you wish.

You do NOT need to be a member of IEEE to join this group.

Regards,

Reply to
Robert Macy

Yes you need CE marking. You can get away without it as long as your product doesn't upset your competitors and you don't mind a gamble. The oilfield services industry was very relaxed about CE, but not so nowadays, and most now comply.

If you merely put a sticker on without the right documentation you're simply upping the ante.

--
Syd
Reply to

It is absolutely not, and you remain AlwaysWrong.

The test labs.

Yes, but it's still just a matter of forking over cash (not much, at that). CE is useless for anything more than checking off a check-box. The only reason we had CE was the customer required it.

UL was a different story. There was some silliness there too, but at least there were some real tests and even ongoing conformity checks.

If there is no product standard it's harder?? What product standard?

Reply to
krw

You just have to certify that you have a conformity file. ;-)

Reply to
krw

There is nothing that says the "Japanese" process couldn't be ISO9000. There is nothing that says an ISO9000 process is bad, rather ISO9000 says nothing about quality at all. It can be used to make a great product. ...or not.

Reply to
krw