OT: Didn't Receive item from Ebay Seller in Hong Kong

The seller become unregistered while I was waiting for my $40.00 item from Hong Kong! wtf? I wrote to Ebay 'If I hire someone to get my money back, how much will it cost?'

Ebay did't address my question but instead wrote to the effect: '45 days have past! Too bad sucker! It's up to you to waste your time complaining to other people (US mail, consumer groups) not us.'

Patience is not a virtue in this case. Hopefully I fed some needy family in Hong Kong instead of gangsters.

--
D from BC
British Columbia

They're an effin waste of space, always hiding behind their 'privacy policy' Any chance of Paypal clawback? (assuming you paid by paypal) They are quite in favour of buyers and 99% against sellers.... FWIW. Saves them losing money :) Good luck...

Reply to
TTman

WEll, waiting 45 days does seem a bit long. I'd have been after them in 21 days max.

You did pay by credit card through PayPal, right? Do a chargeback and move on.

Reply to
PeterD

[snip]

That's the only safe way: CC -> PayPal -> Ebay

I've only had to reverse one... the seller suddenly became VERY compliant ;-)

AMEX is absolutely the best in that regard... log on to their website, click, bang ;-) ...Jim Thompson

You're an idiot. I told another person this when he thought he was going to get a nice, cheaply priced high end video card.

You are essentially screwed ANY time you do not use pay pal.

Waiting too long does essentially make you culpable in the crime of utter stupidity... again.

Reply to
TheJoker

Here's what the subsidiary of Ebay (Paypal) produces automatically on there web site:

"We Have Registered Your Dispute

Thank you for registering your complaint about this transaction. Unfortunately, this type of transaction is not eligible for PayPal dispute resolution. We encourage you to continue to work directly with your seller, as we have found that many misunderstandings reach amicable solutions through communication."

The above wordiness is annoying.. Translating the above = 'Ha gotcha!. We gave you your 45 day chance and you blew it fool. Paypal is not going to help you. Go chase after the seller in Hong Kong sucker.'

Cut from Paypal site buyer protection eligibility section: ?Open a Dispute within 45 days of the date you sent the payment ? then follow the online dispute resolution process described below under Dispute Resolution.'

If only nasty Hong Kong thugs were for rent on Ebay.

Reply to
D from BC

If you waited to long to register a dispute, you are at fault for having no claim due to being outside the time frame for direct recovery of the funds.

After you paid the thugs, and they did the job, they would want "royalties" from you for the rest of your life.

Reply to
Dorothy with the Red Shoes on

Yup..

I followed paypals pages and entered the transaction number in paypal and paypal blurps out the equivalent of 'Bugger Off'.

It's paypals 45 day limit. :(

I've be ripped off by Hong Kong sellers before.

2 mp3 players with 1/2 the claimed memory. 1 flash stick with 1/4 of the claimed memory.

In my experience, Hong Kong is a 50% risk. iows..I get ripped off half the time. However, this is the first time I received nothing at all. :(

Next time I'll ping the buyer within 21 days like you do.

Reply to
D from BC

Did the seller have any feedback? It might be useful to mention the item since they will probably reregister and scam again.

Reply to
miso

Yup.. Waited too long after paying with paypal.. :( I wasn't aware of a 45 day countdown. (Roads have better warnings such as speed signs.) Ebay is bid bid bid bid before it's too late. Never You now have 45 days to make a dispute.. You now have 44 days to make a dispute.. You now have 43 days to make a dispute.. Does Ebay make it clear like that?.. Nope..Not that I've noticed. It's not in Ebay's best interest to make users aware, only to make money. :( The burden is put upon the buyer to read Ebay and Paypal policies or f*ck up and then to read and study Ebay and Paypal policies. :(

Now that I've wasted time putting myself through Paypal policy school, I'm now all prepared to prevent getting screwed the next time. :P

Reply to
D from BC

I'd like to dispute the dispute time. It's interesting that my sense something is wrong kicked in not far beyond 45 days. Maybe that's me or maybe I'm not alone. Businesses sometimes apply rules based on psychological studies to reduce losses. I suspect 45 days is a clever number. Why 45 days? It's by design for Paypal to get off the hook.

What if hundreds of people get burned after 45 days? What if thousands of people get burned after 45 days? The answers to those questions will be very difficult to know and Ebay will probably not make that information public.

Is 45 days enough?

Reply to
D from BC

Seller had:

98.8% feedback. Over 2000 sells.

Ebay's email and Paypal's resolution web programming produced no feedback about red flagging the seller. Maybe they do red flag the seller but they didn't say.

Reply to
D from BC

Shit happens, move on and learn. Pay by CC- paypal-ebay next time you do a hong kong deal... Bit more painful but you have the CC backup which is enormous .

Reply to
TTman

Although in this case I think their restriction is fairly reasonable. You were careless and didn't read the fine print.

I put international transactions into dispute if the goods have not turned up inside 4 weeks, the seller vanishes or stops responding to emails - whichever happens first. I know others do the same.

You can always cancel a dispute but if you go beyond the 45 day limit then you lose your money. Hong Kong is a great place for bargains and also to get ripped off - you could be forgiven for believing the local greeting was "Copy Watch". CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Seems reasonable to me. Unless you arranged shipping by sea most airmail services can manage delivery in week to anywhere in the developed world.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

The friend I caught at it sent his via Western Union. Bye Bye cash!

Reply to
TheJoker

policy'

Stop whining. You have to be a bit ignorant to let it go that long. Two weeks is my maximum, then I contact seller. If no response from seller, I log onto AMEX and dispute the charge. AMEX reverses the charge, subject to "settlement". This means if seller doesn't respond with a good answer, reversal stands. Remarkable how a charge reversal trickles back through the food chain and upsets the right people ;-) ...Jim Thompson

policy'

Yup. Mail from Hong Kong to Canada is very efficient, often faster than mail from northern US states. Less than a week typically. If it didn't arrive within 2 weeks, most likely they didn't send it promptly.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

MAJOR red flag there...

Reply to
PeterD

You bought it from Hong Kong because you wanted cheap, and that entails some risk. Ebay has seller feedback ratings that allow you to judge the risk.

It's only $40.

John

Next time you should do some investigation. I always check feedback on similar priced item from foreign buyers which in turn should have a record of other transactions. That way you know the seller is in business for a longer period and he is selling to real people.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel