OT: Dental Insurance

OT: Dental Insurance...

I've picked up a long-term gig where they insist on W-2 instead of

1099... probably been zapped by IRS and the contractor rules ;-)

Anyway, they offer dental insurance (Delta Dental) at a very low cost.

Anyone have experience with them?

Does it actually save you significant money at the dentist?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Dental insurance is mostly a way to get the dentist to lower their rates. The insurance company doesn't so much pay for anything, but negotiates rates for you.

A friend was going for some work and is not well prepared to pay the full price. The office told her about insurance that would get some percentage off for only $100 a year.

I don't know about Delta Dental. Do you get to use your doctor?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Read the "offer"/contract first. I knew i needed tooth work that was costly. Insurance company wanted a monthly grab to credit card and i paid by check for a year (typical contract period). Should have tried for check with no possibility of grab, because i only needed 6 months have all work done. However, my out-of-pocket costs were one tenth of full rate. Note however, that provider charges get capped by Medicare - which made a BIG difference from the git-go. Non-medicare difference would have been less, but well worth having. When done, drop the insurance like a hot potato. Renew only when you need it.

Robert Baer

I'm not following you... AFAIK Medicare doesn't cover dental except for surgery for disease-related situated ???

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

We've insured with Delta Dental for a few decades. In the years we had serious dental problems, they paid out far more than we paid in. Adding in the downward adjustments a dentist usually makes, it's a good deal. Unless you have few dental issues.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That my experiance too. They offered a plan at work, But it cost more than 2 dentist vists a year. You would need at least a crown to be ahead.

Martin Riddle

I need at least two, so maybe a good deal ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

  • If you are on Medicare, ALL charges go thru the financing hoops = limits. Also, there are Medicare insurance companies that ave an optional dental rider (WELL worth it!).
Reply to
Robert Baer

Uh, the only way to get "ahead" on any insurance is to need the coverage. Of course it will cost you more than a couple of office visits per year. The point is when you need something more it will cover that.... at least in part. I remember having some work done and they had limits on how much they would cover *per quadrant of the mouth*!!!

--

Rick C
Reply to

Yep- Anthem BCBS uses them in their package deals of health, vision and dental, since Anthem does not directly offer dental insurance.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Caps on total per year, some better alternatives not being covered. You can pay a bit extra to upgrade even if it isn't covered 100%.

IME the dentist can check in advance if something is covered or not so you can make an informed decision when the $$ get into thousands.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Aetna used to have a plan where you didn't get any coverage, but did get the insurance price. $85 per year iirc.

The coverage limits and coinsurance on dental plans are so horrible that really it's just the negotiated price that's the benefit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's not insurance, just a discount card, like Aetna sells also. Better than nothing...

Reply to
Bill Martin

$85 doesn't buy much in the way of dental procedures. It's pretty clear it's not "insurance".

That said, much of the benefit of medical insurance is the negotiated prices, too. The actual amount my insurance company has paid out (negotiated prices) is usually about 30-40% of the "sticker" price. There is also a guarantee that if the insurance company doesn't pay for an unnecessary procedure that I won't have to either. The provider will eat it.

Reply to
krw