OT: Dear Abby

Dear Abby,

I've been married to my husband since college, but he is a liar and a cheat. He has cheated on me since the beginning, and when I confront him, he denies everything. What's worse, everyone knows that he cheats on me. It is so humiliating.

Also, since he lost his job fifteen years ago, he hasn't even looked for a new one. All he does all day is smoke cigars, cruise around and shoot the bull with his buddies, while I have to work to pay the bills. Since our daughter went off to college he doesn't even pretend to like me, and even hints that I may be a lesbian. What should I do?

Signed, Clueless

Dear Clueless,

For crying out loud, grow up and dump him. Good grief, woman, think about it. You're running for President of the United States. You don't need him any more.

Bill Bowden

Vote Democrat... you deserve it >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Nobody is bad enough to deserve Trump, but some Republicans are too stupid to realise this. To be fair to Trump, he's less psychopathic than most of the other contenders to be the Republican presidential candidate, but even more ignorant.

Jim Thompson defines "ignorant" as "not agreeing with Jim Thompson", so that won't make much sense to him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I live in California, so it doesn't matter how I vote. Democrats always win since Reagan .

Bill Bowden

It does matter. Nationally, you can affect the nominee. Locally you're probably screwed given your locale (but possibly not 100%).

Greetings, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

(snip 1)

(snip 2)

And you define it as "not agreeing with Bill Sloman". So what?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Actually, I don't. I don't agree with James Arthur, but I don't call him ignorant - his problem is that he knows lots of stuff that his ideology won't let him take into account.

Jim Thompson really doesn't know much about anything outside of semiconductor design, and doesn't appreciate how remarkably little he knows.

To qualify as "ignorant" you have to be unaware of well-known and widely accepted facts. Having a different point of view is quite a different problem.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Does that include Loony Left, made-up, widely accepted "facts" like the old, oft-repeated chestnut concerning the reason America suffers so much extreme violence is due to inequality and poverty? "Facts" like that I think we can all get along without, Bill.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The book "The Health Gap" does point out that young male Americans have a much higher chance of dying by violence than young males in other advanced industrial countries, and talks a bit about the social determinants of health.

These are facts, presented with on the basis of sound statistical analysis.

You don't like them, so you want to remain ignorant - that's a political choice, but a pretty stupid one.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, I can vote for Trump or Cruz, but I'm not sure either of those can beat Hillary. The debates should be interesting after the candidates are chosen. But Trump might run as an independent if he doesn't get the nomination. I think he just wants to go down in history as a presidential candidate and sell some books.

.

Bill Bowden

te

ats

eat

n.

The New Yorker article on Ben Carson said roughly that about him - not in a way that would have let Carson sue them, but the implication was fairly cl ear.

The New Yorker take on Trump suggested - for comic effect - that he'd start ed out the same way, but that every attempt outrage the electorate had misf ired, pushing him even further up the rankings.

At some point or other, Trump's ill-gotten popularity got to be a substanti al asset that somebody - most likely Trump - is going to exploit for all th at it is worth. Probably not the presidency - the guy is clearly a flake - but that much influence has to be a negotiable asset.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

One "californian" I know claims Trumps whole purpose is to act as a stalking horse for Clinton, to ensure the Republican candidate is unelectable.

The only "evidence" offered is that in the past Trump was buddies with Clinton. Now my informant has had some wacky views in the past, but claims he doesn't get his information from Fox Noose.

The best "evidence" I've heard of is, apparently, that there is a 1999 interview in People where Trump said that if he were to run, he would be a republican since their voters are more stupid.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Well, Republicans may be more stupid, but they are not as lazy, and tend to vote more often than Democrats, who usually can't tell you who represents them.

Bill Bowden

Another stupid Republican misapprehension or two.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Really? Read this:

"The voter is basically dumb and lazy. The reason I became a Democratic operative instead of a Republican was because there were more Democrats that didn't have a clue than there were Republicans."

Bill Bowden

te

nd

nts

hat

Read Apparently the quote was falsely posted by an unknown user to a quotations website called thinkexist.com. We have contacted the website and asked them to take the quote down. James Carville never said these words, and this qu ote in no way belongs to James Carville."

This makes you look slightly foolish, or maybe you hoped I wouldn't look at the actual link.

Either way, you've got egg on your face.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney
Reply to

I don't believe Trump can run as an in dependant. After Perot, most states have instituted "sore-loser" laws that prevent this sort of thing. It may be possible for him to hijack the Libertarian Party, though. I've heard some talk of "establishment" republicans planning to do this if he does win the nomination.

Reply to
krw

Notice how Democrats don't like talking about Shillary? They would MUCH rather bash whatever Republican is handy.

Reply to
tomseim2g

...and in doing so, they show that they don't know WTF they're talking about. IOW, open their mouths.

Reply to
krw