OT: Cryptic writings

Can anyone decipher what these mean? They're on the sidewalk at the apartment complex my father lives in:

They're on the sidewalk near this transformer(?) enclosure. There was an explosion in it over the summer which knocked out power and set off fire alarms throughout the complex. I guess they did an interim repair then - the fresh earth is from a few weeks ago when they cut power to the complex for a day and replaced the whole unit.

(Sorry if the links end up badly formatted - I've forgotten how to line wrap them for usenet...)

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Various guys, from the cable TV or gas/water/sewage or power companies will occasionally trace their underground lines and make those marks on the street or sidewalk, prepatory to some maintenence.

Expect some digging maybe.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I don't know how standardized the colors are nationally but most of the time white is cable or phone, red is power, yellow is gas, and blue or green is water or sewer.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Or more serious stuff:

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Obviously an Edmonton fan. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

PMH12120 (or whatever...) is Pad Mounted transformer H12120, ie: that big green thing in the second picture.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

As has been posted, PMH2120 is Pad Mounted transformer, number H2120, from your second picture. Pad Mounted means it goes on a concrete slab on the ground, as opposed to the kind that bolt to a pole.

BSP might be the initials of the local power company, or might mean something like B--- SPlice. I don't know what the B might stand for.

says...

Red - Electric Orange - Communications, Telephone/CATV Blue - Potable Water Green - Sewer/Drainage Yellow - Gas/Petroleum Pipe Line Purple - Reclaimed Water White - Premark site of intended excavation

For extra credit, add your own lines whenever these colors appear on a street near you.

Also,

.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Seems that "TO PMH 2120" refers to the xfmr pictured "K12120"; the "BSP" should be easily decodeable once the power provider name and maybe naming conventions are known.

Reply to
Robert Baer

British Standard Pipe? That's a common type of thread form used for joining up conduit piping.

Reply to
cd

Maybe this is the other part:

*Maybe*
Reply to
cd

Confused, those pictures have nothing to do with Vic Rattlehead OR Dave Mustaine.

(...Those who get it will know.)

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams