OT: Constitution? What the F is that?

What's Yours Is Theirs

There is knock at the door. It's the police.

"We're here to take your house," says the officer. "You're going to be living on the street by tonight - we do this every day." After hauling you forcibly outside, they screw the doors shut and cut your utilities.

And there you stand, alone on the street - your fully paid-off house now in the possession of the government, which can do with it what it pleases. Most times, they'll sell it and use the proceeds to buy more cop stuff.

This is civil forfeiture: If police suspect property has been involved in a crime, they can take it immediately, with no recourse on your part.

Oh, and by the way, our likely next attorney general is completely committed to this travesty of justice!

(Note the word "suspect"; no real NEED to do that,just SAY that. No way to prove the lie - in fact, no _place_ to complain).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Just another casualty from Reagans War on Drugs.

What did they think would happen if they passed a law explicitly allowing police to simply take money and possessions from people and keep them?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Why did I automatically know this was a post by Robert Baer ?>:-}

If you kept up with the news from sources other than The National Enquirer you'd know that civil forfeiture laws are systematically being taken down. ...Jim Thompson

                Men are born ignorant, not stupid.
                They are made stupid by education.

                                            -Bertrand Russell

So you spent years posting reprints from your ultra-right-wing "investment newsletter", and now you're unhappy that there's an ultra- right-wing attorney general?

Hmm. Ponder that. Do.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Actually, not very fast at all. We've had lots of cases lately that show it's alive and well for the police.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That's in Massa2shits... who tried to keep "Biography of a Bookie Joint" off the TV. ...Jim Thompson

Where have you been for the last 20 years???!

Not only can they take it with nothing more than "suspicion", you can't sue to get it back! I have looked and can't find it now, but a friend showed me a Supreme Court case where they somehow ruled that the owner of the property does not have standing to sue because they weren't "the property" or some such nonsense.

This is the one TRUE travesty of justice that outweighs all the others combined. I have no idea how the courts can allow this. Making corporations "persons" under the law so they have rights to donate to elections is bad enough. Allowing eminent domain condemnation for "economic" reasons is right up there. But allowing property to be seized without legal recourse is literally against the Constitution!!!

Many police departments fully support this because they typically get the benefit of the revenue. So the process is doubly damned, illegal to begin with and executed by those who receive the full benefit.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I almost never even SEE that worthless rag called "The National Enquirer", and if i happen to see it on the newsstands, rarely even glance at them.

Reply to
Robert Baer

*EXACTLY*!
Reply to