OT: Climate Change Bullshit

In fact, the actual - not alleged - causes and mechanisms of climate change are accepted science, and not actually worth raking over.

The denialist propaganda machine likes to claim that the science isn't sett led, but that's just fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Wrong. The coast line will get submerged when the ice slips of Greenland an d West Antarctica, and starts displacing see-water.

This happens with a rush, when it happens, as evidenced by sea level rise a t the end of the last ice, and large "accidental" rocks on the floor of the North Atlantic which got floated out to sea in icebergs which melted a lon g way out to sea.

Predicting when it will happen depends on working out what's going on at th e ice rock interface under several miles of ice, which does seem to be in t he too-hard basket.

om/science/2016/mar/22/sea-level-rise-james-hansen-climate-change-scientist

The IPCC prefers to make predictions about stuff that is predictable.

As if dumping CO2 into the atmosphere doesn't violate all sorts individual and property rights. The fact that is going to take a while before the viol ations get really irksome doesn't actually excuse it.

Persuading people to drive electric cars and get their energy from solar pa nels and wind turbines doesn't strike me as violating anybody's individual or property rights. Not allowing people to burn fossil carbon for fuel prob ably would, but taxing that activity until it became impossibly expensive w ouldn't.

Wealth transfer by taxation is a fact of life. In the US at the moment it f lows from the middle classes (who do pay taxes) to the very rich who largel y don't.

The top 1% of the US income distribution is very happy with the current arr angements, and don't feel any need to talk about changing them.

It make take shooting to get get them to think about making more equitable arrangements.

97% of climate change scientists think that your nightmares will come true.

The ten out of the top 300 who don't probably haven't got rational justific ations for their optimism. Christy and Spencer are born-again Christians, w hich probably does complicate their reasoning.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The Natural Philosopher may like to think this, but he hasn't justified his opinion, and it seems highly unlikely that he could.

If he's ever heard of the effective emitting altitude, I'd be surprised.

A simple google search should find it.

The Natural Philoisopher's natural environment.

Jonathan Swift was a satirist, who would say anything to get a laugh.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And learn how to spell repeatable.

Climate scientist aren't alarmists. They publish in obscure scientific journals. Newspaper reporters mine the science for "end-of-the-world" stories and get paid extra if they do it well.

The IPCC was put together by politicians to mine the scientific literature carefully and responsibly. They were carefully picked to be non-alarmists. This doesn't prevent the facts that they lay out for the politicians from being alar

But you can't name one.

Name one.

Anthropogenic global warming is going on at the moment - only one degree Celcius in the last century - but the hypothesis that more CO2 in the atmosphere leads to higher global temperatures has been tested and found plausible.

What data?

Ignorant idiot. 1998 was the high point of an unusually intense El Nino, and global temperature hit a peak that wasn't overtaken until about 2005.

The denialist propaganda machine made a fuss about this for few years, but it lost it's punch after 2005.

NT/tabbypuur made the same mistake recently.

It is actually dominated by water vapour levels, but they equilibrate fast,and extra CO2 in the produces enough warming to put more water vapour into the air - one of those positive feedbacks that John Larkin can't get his head around.

Or none that the Natural Philosopher can see - with his telescope firmly held in front of his blind eye.

Every want-to-be-climate scientist wants this to be true, and they still keep on churning out nonsense papers that make this claim, None has stood up to critical examination.

Wrong.

Rubbish.

One can imagine it, but lots of people have been trying to find it for quite a while now, with absolutely no success.

It would certainly be dramatic if it happened. So would the moon falling out of orbit, but this isn't an argument that the moon is held up by establishment influence.

Unfortunately, the deceit is all yours.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Sadly, anthropogenic global warming is a fact of life. It consequences are a good deal more expensive than what being spent on getting to grips with the problem.

It's certainly not the only excuse used. The defence industry is a much more expensive idiocy.

Not in Australia. The government has killed all the subsidies, but people keep on buying solar cells and batteries because it gives them power more cheaply than buying it from the grid.

Meanwhile the government is subsidising the extraction and export of fossil carbon, largely because it's "heavily influenced" by the mining industry.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Nov 25, 2018, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote (in article):

Ivar Giaever (1973 Nobel Prize for Superconductivity discoveries) knows something about physics and making measurements. (Not that I agree with his opinion about China.)

. .

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

u'd have known this. Because you are the kind of gullible idiot who feels h urt when his gullibility is exposed - like John Larkin - you kill-file ever ybody who injures your tender ego, rather than learning to get your facts s traight.

I notice that you often attack the person or the source rather than addres s what the person or source had to say. mark

Reply to
makolber

you'd have known this. Because you are the kind of gullible idiot who feels hurt when his gullibility is exposed - like John Larkin - you kill-file ev erybody who injures your tender ego, rather than learning to get your facts straight.

ess what the person or source had to say.

That would be the majority of all conversations in s.e.d, no?

Rick C.

Tesla referral code --

gnuarm.deletethisbit

Where?

lunatic fringe electronics

Mostly south of Yosemite; ask Mr Google for the map. There seemed to be a new one near Squaw Valley last year, but I suspect the recent warm rains may have washed it away.

I got excited last Friday when Sugar Bowl emailed me to announce they would open a week early. Then it rained all night and I got another email...

lunatic fringe electronics

No mystery. The uniformity of the variation means that this site is going a very good job of global averaging. There's more vegetation in the Northern Hemisphere than the South, hence the "summer" dip as it is growing.

I agree with you that there are *lots* of feedback mechanisms that are not very well understood.

Reply to
newshound

Interesting guy, thanks for the link. "New Religion" has been one of my complaints for a good few years now too.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks for the link on Ivar's "Is Climate Science a Pseudo Science?" speech, as he essentially says that it (CS) is a religion and we skeptics are the apostates.

All we ask is the right to challenge the base on which the hypothesis is drawn on and we are called unbelievers - like any religion that is challenged names the infidels.

Who is the L Ron Hubbard of CS?

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Anywhere except the USA

Reply to
Rod Speed

,

Politics is always on the side of maintaining the status quo, so this stuff about global warming having a political basis is absurd. Secondly, you have no idea from what measurement this Arnold and Mandel con cluded CO2 concentration in air is 0.04%. They're borrowing from work perfo rmed mid-19th century and using measurements they did not perform themselve s. I'm guessing the measurement, as inaccurate as it was, used urban air so meplace, and in that era, urban areas were smothering in air pollution from unfettered coal and wood burning, so this filthy air was probably closer t o 400ppm than 300ppm. The text is NOT a book about environmental chemistry as you claim, it's a compendium of chemistry science with no particular emp hasis on the environement.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You seem to be saying that every single country in the world has a better legal system than the USA. That's crazy.

And you are saying that "here" is everywhere except the USA. Ditto.

"If you save someone's life, they will hate you forever."

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yep. As a whole, we seem to have the bad habit of making things worse before they can be made better. Probably a form of "managment by crisis" or perhaps "Do something, even if it's wrong". For example: "Palm Oil Was Supposed to Help Save the Planet. Instead It Unleashed a Catastrophe." Exposed peatland can spew carbon into the atmosphere for decades, even centuries, after the land is first disturbed.

has already occurred - is roughly the equivalent of opening 70 new, large coal-fired power plants.

Satellite map of fires around the globe:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Must be 40 years since the one and only time I hiked in the Sierras. No sign of snow let alone ice.

--
The truth of the matter is that we Scots have always been more divided amongst
ourselves than pitted against the English. Scottish history before the Union of

Tam Dalyell
Reply to
Tim Streater

Nope, that they don't get that sort of terminally stupid 'filing'

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Then I suppose those glacier maps must be faked.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I remember articles in New Scientist back in the 70's where acid rain allegedly from UK power stations was said to be killing off Scandinavian forests.

You don't hear that any more.

These days our indigenous trees are under attack from pests arriving from the continent onboard imported plants, trees and shrubs.

Reply to
Andrew