OT: Climate Change Bullshit

of

e,

at

Since they make up the organisation, this is slightly more difficult than t he natural philosopher seems to imagine.

What the natural philosopher has failed to establish is that he has a princ iple to advance that could be taught to anybody (let alone should be taught to anybody).

It's difficult to work out what the natural philosopher imagines should be taught to the roughly 500 millions inhabitants of the EU, but there's absol utely no reason to risk giving his silly ideas that much exposure.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Actually, yes you do.

If you were told that their was a toadstool in a box of mushrooms, would you test a sample, or all of them before you eat even one?

It only gives a vague indication to what the temperature may have been at that one specific location. A mile away, all bets are off. Its one correlation fudge after another.

"Temperature, in contrast, is not measured directly, but is instead inferred from the isotopic composition of the water molecules released by melting the ice cores. "

Yeah....

"we can clearly see the steady pulsing of the ice ages on a period of about

100,000 years. From a site called Dome C in Antarctica, we have recently reconstructed the climate spanning the last three quarters of a million years, and have shown seven ice ages, each interspersed with a warm interglacial climate such as the one we are living in today."

So, that's accurate to 0.1 deg, over the whole world, all billions of cubic miles, for 100,000 years? Sure, pull the other one. Other than, yeah, there were ice ages coming and going, its all bullocks.

Its basic fundamental part of the scientific method. To quote measurements, the accuracy of the measurement has to be much better than measurement, say to an error bar of 20%.

The idea that the temperature of the whole f'ing world is known as fact to be 1 deg more 200 years ago than today, is pure fantasy. It's ludicrous.

The basic axiom of GW is fundamental flawed. That is, the accuracy of its basic characteristic, temperature. Temperatures vary across the world by

100 degs or so. There is no way to know how temperatures varied all over the world 100 years age, to the accuracy required. This is trivially obvious. Climate as a known chaotic system, only adds to the unbelievability of the claims.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

What was predicted falsely vastly outweighs what was guessed correctly. So much so, that if you deny all predictions, you would be correct 99.999999% of the time.

For me, being correct on the minuscule correct guesses is only relevant if it happens for my $10M lotto numbers pick...

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Another point that emphasises that the natural philosopher is natural in th e Shakespearian sense of never having been taught anything or read anything .

Google finds numerous links to the phrase which is indeed one of the better

-known economic cliches.

Right wing nitwits think that they solve all problems. The Reagan-Thatcher privatisations - which gave us Enron, amongst other disasters, was an attem pt to exploit the free market to "improve" natural monopolies, which hadn't worked for the Victorians and didn't work in the 1980 either, a century la ter.

I wonder why the natural philosopher thinks that. Idolatory is the mark of old-time religion - Moses got upset about the golden calf.

Certain modern religions do try to pass themselves off a left-wing politica l movements, but it is rather obvious ploy, and the only people who pretend to be fooled are right-wing nitwits who want to use it cast doubt on left- wing politics in general.

That worked so wonderfully well in 1929.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

"a plurality of indicators" are also just meaningless words.

What matters is how, for example, noting the 1 deg alleged shift of average temperature since 1880, is how accuracy to say to 0.1 deg, for the whole world, is obtained.

I do have idea of about measuring temperature 200 years ago. It's impossible. Temperature can only be *estimated*, indirectly.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

You mean like the Brexiteers who promised us the EU would roll over and give in to our every demand?

Of course we could simply walk away. But those who think that a good idea are in a tiny minority. Who probably also believe the earth is flat..

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. One of those buzz phrases that reads well but means nothing.

I doubt the likes of Turnip or Doom have any kids they care about. And they certainly don't give a stuff about others kids futures.

--
*Cover me.  I'm changing lanes.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

.g.

ll

his

0.1

go

you

A rather different situation.

It doesn't tell you a thing about the temperature at that one specific loca tion.

You don't get isotope effects in condensation, but during evaporation, and the evaporation clearly happened a long way from Greenland and Antarctica.

You did miss the point, big-time.

red

the

ut

bic

re

The isotopic composition of the water that got condensed is an indicator of the global average temperature, averaged over all the places where the ori ginal water vapour got evaporated out of the ocean surface. Every molecule came from somewhere specific, but there are 6.022x10^23 in a mole of water and the atmosphere is pretty effective mixing system.

ts,

ay

An even more basic part of the scientific method is to think about what's a ctually going on before shooting your mouth off.

In other words, you couldn't follow the logic.

the

To anybody who doesn't know what they are talking about.

You missed the point. The isotope ratio is determined where the individual water molecules evaporated out of the ocean - and the oceans cover 70% of t he surface of the world. The sample of those molecules that end up as ice i n an ice core is an average over the ocean surfaces.

What's trivially obvious is that you haven't got your head around the impli cations of this.

You are probably clever enough to manage it, if you could be bothered, but your conviction that you already know all you need to know may get in the w ay.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Which rather misses the point of science fiction - it's not in the prediction business, but rather in the what-if business, which isn't the same thing at all.

It's sold as "predictive" but in reality it's all commentary on contemporary society, some of it rather weird.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

So no deals with anyone.

The UK is a major backer of the EU energy policy so why do you expect it to change?

But they don't come from the EU. We can already control immigration from the ROW and don't so what makes you think it will change?

Well we had opt outs from that.

Well voting for farage wasn't going to do anything as he doesn't do anything.

You want democracy dead in case a second vote overturns the leave majority, which it probably would. If the public can't express their desires then it isn't democracy.

Reply to
invalid

0.1

go

ck

ge

But sometimes estimated remarkably accurately.

Pretty much all temperature measurements are indirect estimates - the resis tance of a platinum resistance thermometer is strongly correlated with its temperature, but the resistance of the wire (or deposited track on an alumi na substrate) is only a proxy for the temperature of the wire.

The isotopic composition of condensed water vapour records the temperature of the water surface it was evaporated from, and if that surface was extens ive the isotopic content records the average temperature of that surface.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ergo, the whole thing is just a giant scam to fleece us out of (even) higher taxes. Well stated, Kev.

Cursitor Doom

Actually, what Kevin was really saying is the he doesn't understand how the isotope ratios in water recovered from ice cores tells you about the tempe rature of the water surface from which the water vapour evaporated, a fairl y short time before it got condensed into snow that fell on the top of the ice sheet.

He's dressed it up in his usual rhetoric, but it is a simple admission of i gnorance, with John Larkins delusions about chaotic systems thrown in a fil ler.

Quite why Cursitor Doom thinks that any government would bother setting up a scientific fraud to fleece us out of higher taxes escapes me.

Governments have always had access to economists who can do the job more ex peditiously, and don't need expeditions to the ends of the earth to collect miles of ice cores to justify the depredations.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

No, most people are controlled by personality; they vote for people whose look, voice, and big heads they like. Tribal chieftans. Great orators/teleprompter readers. The Kennedeys, Betos, Ocasio Cortez. Interestingly, a lot of people who don't like Trump voted for him.

lunatic fringe electronics

Not much. It's funny that the Marxists are still obsessed with the power of Capital, when geeky dropouts with wild ideas are taking over the world.

lunatic fringe electronics

Edison started at the bottom and ran an empire. So did Bill Gates and H+P and the google guys. Eventually they retired and turned the technology over to public corporations, who expanede it and provided it to us. Of course they did it for money. I'm not so jealous of money-mongering corporations that I refuse to eat the food they provide me.

After the patents run out, other money-grubbing SOBs move in and drive the price down.

Maybe you'd rather walk a few miles a day to haul dirty drinking water in old bleach bottles.

Life keeps getting better, and you complain about the people who provide, because you are jealous of their wealth and power. You can't run an oul refinery without wealth and power. In Venezuela, you can't

*with* wealth and power.

Only in allowing them to do it.

lunatic fringe electronics

No one else is that stupid, so f*ck india.

Who can't even initiate legislation, or amend legislation that the EC puts before the EP. All they can do is reject it or rubber stamp it.

Completely different powers, actually.

No, because those in westminster are free amend legislation and do private members bills and its the party that has the majority in parliament that decides on new policy, not unelected bureaucrats.

That?s dishonest.

FAR more democratic than the EU.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that?s saying something.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not at all. It appears you haven't the slightest clue about the political system we live in.

We live in a REPRESENTATIVE democracy. Big difference.

That means that we elect representatives to do what they think is in our best interest. If our representative pisses off enough of his constituents, they don't get re-elected.

If you hadn't noticed, we can't elect a government, nor can we elect a party, nor can we elect a PM.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Actually, that will also be the case here a no-deal Brexit occurs. Here's a few snippets...

There is, seriously, no guarantee the aircraft will be able to fly in April - travel insurance companies have already altered their Ts&Cs to deny claims if that occurs. British Airways has tried to get itself re-classified as a Spanish airline.

The food cold stores are full; nobody will say how many days food supply that represents. Given the JIT distribution, it isn't many.

We will be out of Euratom, by design, and that has a knock-on effect for nuke electricity generation and medical radioisotopes.

We have already been cut out of the Galileo programme, and that is a mere harbinger of how much we will be pissed on.

Andre Geim (Nobel laureate, graphene) posted adverts for some type of graduate student. Before Brexit he got 300 applicants for 4 places. After the referendum he again advertised for 4 places - and got *zero* applications. Nobody sane wants to come here at the moment.

Rober Winston, an IVF pioneer has said all his colleagues are leaving.

If they can, all my relatives and friends are actively obtaining foreign citizenship based on grandparents' nationality. Some are actively planning the move.

My daughter is actively stockpiling food, and I'm going to have to stockpile some non-food essentials.

Etc.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Has anyone found a use for graphene yet? It's approaching its sell-by date, like buckyballs and nanotubes.

I got mixed up the the great Silicon Valley Nanotechnology boom/bust, but luckily only lost some of my time. I only know one guy who got rich off that; his timing was perfect.

How do non-EU countries survive? USA, Canada, Norway, Russia, China, Switzerland, Brazil?

You are suggesting that the EU will deliberately starve Britain in revenge for resigning from the EU. Will that require WWIII, or will a naval blockade be enough?

What's going on with those people in yellow vests throwing stuff?

lunatic fringe electronics