OT: climate and ocean circulation modelling - how ice ages differe from interglacials

Interesting paper in this week's PNAS

This is only the abstract, but even the abstract makes it clear that John 's Larkin's and James Arthur's claims about the inutility of climate models are based on pure ignorance.

The models that tell us something useful include ocean circulation, which h as only recently become worth doing, as we learn more about the deep ocean currents now circulating, and get a handle on what might they might have be en doing differently over the last 100,000 years or so.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Jan 3, 2017, snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote (in article):

This is an attempt to explain the Climate Hiatus, where measured surface temperatures stopped rising around 1996, and have diverged significantly from the current climate models, being well below the predicted temperatures. I have seen a number of these articles in Nature and Science over the past decade, but there does not seem to be any consensus on which of these explanations, if any, is correct or even partly correct. In such situations (lots of explanations, none totally convincing), this situation continues for a while, and eventually someone puts it all together in a flash of inspiration.

While I?m sure that the Hiatus will eventually be explained, this whole issue calls the accuracy of current climate models into question - it?s a major misprediction. What else did we miss?

Perhaps the Hiatus is simply that we have passed the peak of the current

100,000-year climate cycle, and will now slowly descend into a new ice age? Nobody today knows. In 100 years, we will know for sure.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

There is a simple cure for the climate charlatan business, and for all academic charlatans for that matter... STOP ALL government (federal and state) financial support of universities. Let them survive on tuition and alumni support... watch the BS stop.

Personally I'd go for rounding up all academics who can't PROVE their cockamamie theories and give them 20 lashes in the public square... once a week... on TV >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Political correctness and despotism go hand-in-hand.

Political correctness is just another word for control.

As Voltaire said, "To learn who rules over you, simply find out
who you are not allowed to criticize."

One explanation, a probable one, is that there has been no CO2-driven warming. The LIA ended roughly 1850, so there has been a little beneficial warming since then.

The other explanation, even more probable, is that the accepted climate models are nonsense.

lunatic fringe electronics

Just cut off guarnteed student loans, or better yet, make the institution pay off the student loan if the student doesn't. Then see how any "Women's Studies" programs are left.

Reply to
krw

That sounds good. Make the college co-sign for the student loan. The filter will get much sharper.

Reply to
tom

Yep >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Political correctness and despotism go hand-in-hand.

Political correctness is just another word for control.

As Voltaire said, "To learn who rules over you, simply find out
who you are not allowed to criticize."

How about make the colleges pay-off the student loan if the student can't get a job based on a degree in their major ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

Political correctness and despotism go hand-in-hand.

Political correctness is just another word for control.

As Voltaire said, "To learn who rules over you, simply find out
who you are not allowed to criticize."

Oh, the irony! You ARE a climate charlatan, and nothing of the sort would stop you.

Like many 'simple cure' prescriptions, this one is unsupported by evidence or any kind of reasoning. It's undoubtedly wrong.

Reply to
whit3rd

Well, 0.00001 is a probability...

Well, 0.0001 is a larger probability...

Identify a climate model, identify a fault, publish. Peer review will follow. Vague claims won't do (never have).

Reply to
whit3rd

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

ohn's

ls are

ich has

ve been

from

ons

s for

s whole

??s a

ge?

NASA and the UK Met Office aren't universities.

Jim Thompson is too pig ignorant to appreciate that anthropogenic global wa rming is real science, and the denialist propagandists that Jim is ignorant enough to take seriously are the actual climate charlatans

Anthony Watts does deserve more than just a tongue-lashing.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ter

This is a trifle unrealistic, even for Jim.

Roughly half the students who enroll for a university course get a degree. There is an argument for making the universities supervise their students m ore closely, so they can advise them to give up as soon it is clear that th e student hasn't got much hope of completing.

Since the universities can't predict which students will perform adequately in the environment that the university sets up and controls, it is unreali stic to expect them to predict how their students will perform in the world outside the university - which does offer a much wider variety of environm ents.

There's no doubt that universities have something to offer to quite a lot o f students, but it's not clear that the universities known what it is, and is clear that university examination don't measure it in a particularly use ful way.

If you pay enough attention to your lectures to be able to pass exams, it s eems that you have paid enough attention to learn at least some of the usef ul stuff - whatever it is - that universities can impart, but there's not a lot of correlation between academic success and success in a later career.

Graduate school works a bit better, but Jim's contempt for Ph.D.s suggest t hat whatever they learn isn't what Jim would have liked them to learn.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ohn's

ls are

ich has

ve been

from

ons

s for

s whole

??s a

ge?

The Little Ice Age was regional effect, rather than any significant change in global temperature. We tell John about this from time to time, but he do esn't seem to be able to take the information on board.

John Larkin gets his idea about "climate science" from the Murdoch media, w ho save money by publishing denialist propaganda a news.

If he points us to a "climate science" web-site, it's mostly to one of Ant hony Watt's bogus exhibitions.

What John Larkin believes is clearly nonsense, and exactly the kind of nons ense that the fossil carbon extraction industry has spent millions on servi ng up to gullible suckers.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I can tell you that deep ocean temperature profiling has been aggressively underway since the 50s, at least. Also, I personally spent many man years on the issue in the 70s and 80s, and my company sold several millions of dollars worth of instruments designed to measure this stuff in the 80s. This work continued after I left oceanography.

Physical oceanographers working on models using this data clearly understood the importance of ocean thermal storage and the huge effect it would have on atmospheric modeling, long before atmospheric guys could add it to their models.

The global-warming critics would look at air temps here and there, ignoring that (a) our oceans cover most of the earth, and (b) water has a dramatically-higher specific heat than air, and there's a hell of a lot in the oceans. When it comes to issue of global warming, the oceans rule.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The "hiatus" has been eliminated in the usual way,

by adjusting historical measurements to make them colder.

Science is in a very sad way lately.

lunatic fringe electronics

Actually

picked up from denialist web-site.

John Larkin hasn't noticed that the Little Ice Age is a regional effect, and the Greenland sheet is in the North Atlantic, which is part of the region that experienced it.

Confusing regional fluctuations with global fluctuation is the kind of sleigh of hand that denialist web-sites go in for, and John Larkin doesn't have the wit to notice.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The adjustments were actually to take out built-in bias.

They did have the effect of bringing the ocean temperatures into line with everything else, but that was an effect, not a motivation.

John Larkin's comprehension of science is in a very sad way, but he's been hopeless at it since he skipped lectures he wasn't interested in at Tulane.

He once - here - described the concept of pressure-broadening of infrared a bsorbtion lines as "insane" when in fact it's an experimental fact that is tolerably easily explicable on the basis that the gas molecules doing the a bsorbtion get slightly bashed out of shape whenever they collide (and they spend more of their time colliding at higher pressures).

A more technical way of putting it might be that they become very weakly bo und parts of a bigger molecule during the collision so that the masses and force constants fixing the absorbtion frequency are less tightly defined.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

OT for the OT topic, but: if more ads looked like this, I'd probably buy more stuff.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

Nonsense. Greenies can only see one side of any equation.

And you're a prime example.

Reply to
krw