OT: China: Saving America from Itself

"[Trump] underestimates Putin, just as he overestimates America?s military and other strengths in a multipolar world where, especially in relative terms, the US is correctly perceived as in decline, itself the tired one, torn by self-imposed demands for military supremacy at the expense of a deteriorating social safety net and crumbling infrastructure, and a consuming preoccupation with the culture wars over class, race, and gender ? an emptiness of direction borne out by the essential sameness of the two political parties in their prescription for the future.

In that regard, China is everything America is not. It is an ascendant world social force, as its present development projects in Africa and Latin America show, rather than ideologically trapped in a rigid ethnocentric mode. Neither Russia nor China will lie down and play dead to American ambition."

Reply to
bitrex

Well the guy is enjoying his koolaid. That means both sides of the aisle. L et me put it this way :

All these world leaders are rich and they do not want their sit torn up. Sa me way with the cold war, it was just a ruse to get people to support a hug e military buildup. In other words it is all for show.

And it is not just "American exceptionalism" that drives the masses to supp ort this shit, it is misinformation. They say Russia started the shit in Uk raine.

People have no brains if they think that. Ukraine had a Russia friendly gov ernment and now they have a US friendly government.

Know why Obama didn't get more involved about the gas in Syria ? Because it is a proven fact that Assad did not use it. Did they put that on the news ? You gotta look long and hard on the internet to find any information on i t. Did they tell you that the Georgians ASKED for Russia's help ? Nope.

In 1952 did they tell you the the US removed the lawfully elected President of Iran and installed the son of the Shah, which led the the 1979 coup tha t put him out and installed theocracy there ? My Parents were around at th e time and they never mentioned it. And the Shah was a criminal butcher and they wanted him back, the embassy thing was because of Carter harboring th at fugitive from justice ? Did they tell you that the only people the Irani ans f***ed with were intelligence people and the rest were treated fairly w ell, as well as letting one go for medical reasons ?

Did they tell you about the assassination of President Diem ?

Did they tell you that the US buys rockets fro Russia because they cannot b uild their own anymore ? I'd like to see them try to get to the moon again, the dumb s**ts would probably run windows and the thing would crash before it left the ground.

If there's one thing the author of that article is right about is the decli ne of the US. The US buys components for military systems from the Chinese, and we are not just talking a few Molex connectors here.

Meantime, China has their own satellite network up there and a weapon that can take ours out. They have already practiced and this was a few years ago . Russia is pulling stuff out of mothballs and refitting it with modern tec hnology, of note some sort of "submarine killer".

The world is getting better and better weapons. What's the latest on the F-

35 ? The US has mo0re weapons, but not the best. An alliance between Russia and China, which I am pretty sure would happen if CLinton got in, would be devastating because quite frankly, we might win the fight in the end but b e mighty bloodied up over it, and I mean they will probably bring it here.

But the liberals call Trump supporters deplorable, racist and a few other things. I think most of them just wanted to keep Clinton out because as we MIGHT have big international problems with Trump, we would definitely have them with Clinton.

And the fact is, the democrats, by going for Clinton, pretty much gave Trum p the election. Sanders is a non-interventionalist. Clinton is an intervent ionalist. It would be like Bush 3. Actually 4, because Obama pretty much di d what Bush would have done. Attack Iran.

Reply to
jurb6006

While history doesn't repeat, it does rhyme.

In this case UK in 1930s is similar to USA in 2010s - at the peak of their empire.

Shame.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I think the point that the author was trying to make is that when it comes to the life expectancy of nations, humility equals longevity.

That the hubris of presidents of both parties is the concept that there's always a winning card to play, that you can always pull a rabbit out of the hat at the last minute. Sometimes there isn't a winning move.

Humility is something the US forgot quite a while ago, and it seems to be something Russia and China are in the process of forgetting. It might set us up a lot better long-term to remember what they're forgetting, rather than try to play "keep up with the Joneses."

Reply to
bitrex

be something Russia and China are in the process of forgetting."

They got good reason - the US.

Reply to
jurb6006

That is to say, "American Exceptionalsm" shines best when we're the professional kicker with a 97% field goal percentage who's called in to do one thing and do it well, rather than try to play the star quarterback who takes all the hits, and takes both the credit for every win, and the blame for every bungled play.

We've been throwing a lot of interceptions lately. Maybe it's time to go for some running plays instead.

Reply to
bitrex

What blather. That reads like a bad high-school essay.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Empire? Do we have to give up Ireland and India and South Africa too?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Please produce your red pen, and circle the parts of the above excerpt which are untruths...

Reply to
bitrex

The author notes that world opinion is that the US is a nation in decline, and IIRC Trump just ran a successful campaign whose slogan drew directly from that observation.

So. Is America a nation in decline, or is it not a nation in decline? Trump seems to believe it is. And in a world of such black-and-white thinking, it certainly can't be both at the same time.

Reply to
bitrex

Standard 2016 internet hyperbolic blather. There's a lot of that going around.

There are many possible definitions of "decline." I think there's too much pastrami and too little corned beef.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Oh, we're in decline, alright. I'll point to a whole generation of Little-Rexes as proof.

Reply to
krw

elf/

??s

in

the

their

nt

ead > >>>> to American ambition."

A lot of it re-posted by John Larkin who can't seem to see denialist blathe r without re-posting it.

The definition of "decline" which includes all the economic growth ending u p in the pockets of the top 1% of the income distribution, and none of it i n the pockets of the other 99% does seem to fit the USA.

Most of the population correctly see themselves as being ripped off by the elite, which usually leads to the removal of the greedy elite, and their r eplacement by another elite. Modern representative democracies - and the US constitutional arrangements are baroque antiques - can manage this by havi ng new political parties win power in fair elections.

The US has only got two political parties, and neither of them seems to hav e a clue how they might move the US towards a state which would offer the m ajority of the voters something better than the quagmire they've currently got.

That kind of situation has been known to lead to revolution and the install ation of new elite even worse than the one it replaced.

In so far as Trump never was a Republican, that may already have happened.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

self/

??s military and

terms, the

by

eriorating

occupation

tiness of direction

their

ant world

in America

e. Neither

Krw himself is a clearer symptom of decline than any number of little Rexes . The fact that he doesn't realise it is a necessary part of the syndrome.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I woke up this morning and thought "You know, I've really been slacking on my plans to destroy America. KRW hasn't even threatened to shoot me in a week or two. I'd better step it up a level."

Time to get back to work, I guess...

Reply to
bitrex

Work? Oh, thanks for reminding me.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

No, no! You're supposed to say "What have YOU designed today?" :-(

Reply to
bitrex

the

Any high-school essayist who wrote that would get excellent marks. The opti mism about China as a world social force - it's just another country with a rapacious ruling oligarchy - would probably be forgiven in a high-school s tudent. In the US they are expected to be optimistic about the performance of the rapacious (and well-off) oligarchy that rules the US.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

f/

?s

er

by the

timism about China as a world social force - it's just another country with a rapacious ruling oligarchy - would probably be forgiven in a high-school student. In the US they are expected to be optimistic about the performanc e of the rapacious (and well-off) oligarchy that rules the US.

The reality is that China has made huge strides in improving wealth & stand ards of living. Not only has it's mass production brought wealth, but when it comes to poverty it's the one area in the world that has made big improv ements.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, what?