OT: China Cuts E-vehicle Subsidies

motorcyclists have loud pipes because they're attention-seekers and like to make people listen to their vroom-vrooming it doesn't do a thing for safety.

lol

Reply to
bitrex

As I imagine you would be aware of the various lidar systems used in many cars that give a 360deg surveillance of the surroundings, that information being used for many things including the detection of animate beings. So to take that information and sound the horn if such is detected in range according to speed etc shouldn't be too much of a task for the modern car computer.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

If the pedestrian cross-traffic alert system can sound an alert tone inside the car for the driver it can just as easily sound one outside the car genius!!!!!!!!

Reply to
bitrex

I don't think he's owned a car in the last decade years he don't know how they work nowadays.

Or at least not one made in the last decade.

Reply to
bitrex

The rear cross-traffic alert system on my girl's Hyundai works great, it sometimes seems like it can even detect them coming around corners.

Reply to
bitrex

The Volt's alerter-woosh noise only kicks in below 17 mph IIRC.

I felt for a while after I got it that I was encountering more oblivious pedestrians than usual but then I also started driving another late model ICE car regularly also. and I think it's just selection bias. the roads have gotten more crowded and pedestrians seem more distracted than they once were.

Reply to
bitrex

On top of that most of the noise goes out the rear, not toward the front. Maybe they should mandate motorcycles should have their exhaust pointing to the front... I'm just sayin'...

--

  Rick C.

  -+++ Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

rive,

e of

rt of

ng up

nd

Maybe they should mandate motorcycles should have their exhaust pointing to the front... I'm just sayin'...

on high performance engines the intake can make a lot of noise

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

bitrex wrote in news:j%MwE.762887$Z% snipped-for-privacy@fx48.iad:

Ever played 'Nethack'?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

BS. Then by the same token, sirens on emergency vehicles don't do anything either.

Reply to
trader4

Please. Maybe they don't have Harleys where you are. You can easily hear a Harley coming. And it's probably not true that most noise goes to the rear either, when you consider a full 360 sound field.

Reply to
trader4

I can't believe anyone is actually suggesting the noise a Harley makes is anything other than an ego boost. If the noise is really needed to warn everyone a Harley is approaching I suggest they are too dangerous to be on the road.

Ambulances and fire trucks have sirens to indicate their right of way. Much to the disappointment of their owners Harleys have no such right of way.

--

  Rick C.

  +--- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I see Harleys from time to time but unfortunately most of the bikes around here are squids on the schkneewwwaaaaaaaaa-put-put-put bikes. Blaaaarg

Reply to
bitrex

Well, that's stupid. No one suggested that they "need" the noise to warn, but only that the noise makes it more likely that motorists will know they are there and not kill them. Apparently you're not aware of all the fatal accidents where cars just pull out in front of a motorcycle, or turn in front of them, etc. It's a very real and serious problem. For whatever reason, MCs do not register with a lot of drivers. Where it's unlikely they would turn in front of a car, somehow a bike just doesn't register the same way with some people.

Reply to
trader4

Take it up with Mr Doom as quoted above.

--

  Rick C.

  +--+ Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +--+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

So say a couple of trolls who've *obviously* never ridden a motorcycle in their entire lives.

Cursitor Doom

The Bit-troll seems to be unaware that the speed of sound is a lot faster than any motorcycle!

Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:qa41ie$c9f$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It isn't even about bikes. It is simpler than that. The clap of an open header on an IC engine is NOT directional. Although the rearward pointed pipe's (in this case) sound pressure is greater, the frequency and initial pressure ensures that the clap will be heard omnidirectionally.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:qa41ob$c9f$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

He is an idiot. The sound pressure level on some fire truck's main siren is so loud it can actually do harm.

And what is it he claims they are supposed to do that he also claims that they are not doing?

He lacks understanding of the term 'efficacy'.