OT: China Cuts E-vehicle Subsidies

Never knew they existed, never saw one on the road, and a quick google doesn't show any dealers in NJ, or maybe anywhere else for that matter. There were some hits for trucks, but they are probably gas. Smart cars are rare, but at least I do see one of those shit boxes once in a while.

Reply to
trader4

ht

don't

it's

ught

all

rios

and

ld do

age in

p shit

sight

don't

have

p it.

n you

advantage

old,

zing

conomic

in

ting

nt

mp

and

,

garage

sider

nd

ings

ts

I don't know the details of what equipment is required, but in communities around Murrells Inlet they allow the use of the "golf cart" type of vehicle s with registration on roads up to 35 mph and within 4 miles of your reside nce in daylight hours. Regardless of the speed limit they are not allowed on business Rt 17. The registration seems to be about the fee and not so m uch the equipment, they don't need to meet the same requirements as cars. I don't know of any town near the beach that doesn't allow them.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Far too quiet. You wait and see. When the adoption of these vehicles becomes more widespread, you're going to see more and more children and elderly people killed by them. I immediately noticed the difference when I swapped motorbikes temporarily from a Harley-Davidson to a BMW water-cooled job. On the Beamer, I had pedestrians stepping out in front of me just yards away when I was going at speed - terrifying. That *never* happened with the Harleys. "Loud pipes save lives" is a long-standing saying among motorcyclists and it's so true. I can see a time coming when all electric vehicles will be mandated to emit warning sounds whenever they're in built-up areas. Probably some annoying, polyphonic beeping noise at 99dB. And the driver will just have to put up with it.

Cursitor Doom

,

You provide the evidence to dispute your own claim. First you argue that e lectric cars are so much quieter than gas cars that lives will be lost, the n your example is a 100+ dB Harley vs. the auto like quiet of a BMW motorcy cle. Sounds like you just proved regular cars are already quiet enough to be dangerous.

Your 99 dB noise is just you BSing your way down the road.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-+ Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Most people fail to recognize that IC cars are just as quiet, when they're coasting or cruising, as EV cars. But in both cases there is the same thing to hear: the tire noise. But my point was about a car's rapid acceleration phase, which is what a car approaching an intersection should NOT be doing.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

From personal experience, I can still hear a petrol engined car coming from its engine noise. Before electric cars came about, because I have really good hearing, I could cross the road perfectly safely without bothering to look first. Now thanks to these virtue-signalling tree- huggers, my cherished freedom to do that is fast coming to an end. :(

Cursitor Doom

You are so ridiculous. But maybe I shouldn't say that, maybe you are being genuine.

On the other hand you may well be saved by the pedestrian protection featur es on many of these cars. After all, you will likely only drop your danger ous habit of not looking some time after your hearing has diminished. If t he car is going more than 15 mph the tire noise will be as loud as the engi ne noise. At lower speeds many EVs will automatically stop for pedestrians .

--

  Rick C.

  -++- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

You might have had really good hearing when you were younger, but it degrad es with age. And if you were born gullible - as seems very likely - you are going to be even more gullible now (though there's not a lot of extreme gu llibility space left for you to explore).

Some people drive electric cars because they are cheaper to run. Burning pe trol in a car-sized internal combustion engine isn't all that efficient - a nd hybrid cars are economically attractive because burning it at the optima l rate and storing some of the output in a battery to provide for peak dema nd is significantly more efficient. Large scale generating plant produces p ower even more cheaply, and using their output to charge the battery in an electric car saves even more money.

Some people my drive electric cars because they are virtue-signalling tree- huggers, but they are still saving money in the process.

And the fact that they've improved their chances of running over Cursitor D oom doesn't strike me as a consequence worth worrying about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No. Regardless of your "cost of ownership" blather, my point was that your joule-per-mile remark flags you as unaware of either.

You are a stupid little chump, at best. With the exception that 'little' in your case means 350+ pound brainless lard ass.

Cost of ownership is high when one has to push around all those years of collected shit.

We can only hope that your veins are all plugged up and you won't be around much longer.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

bitrex wrote in news:QCjwE.426368$ snipped-for-privacy@fx08.iad:

Yeah... he is an idiot. There are FULLY street legal 'golf cart' form factor vehicles all over the country using various power train schemas. You will not see them on interstate highways or even in state highways.

I am pretty sure they meet the specs for 35 mph and below roadways.

But just like TraderTard4, the states seem to have problems authoring the wording.

In Michigan, they say that one cannot be one a road posted as

35mph or higher, but can be on any road posted as 35mph or lower.

Even a kid can see what is wrong with that wording.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's summertime again so that one guy who lives somewhere around here who owns one of these "but why?" 30k+...things...will be toodling around soon, I mean if this thing is street legal...

It seems to successfully combine most of the hazards of a motorcycle with the price tag and fuel consumption of a car, with none of the off-road capability of an ATV or snowmobile. But hey it seats two!

Reply to
bitrex

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:q9spk6$vfe$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That is too funny.

When cars first hit the streets, regardless of boise or not, folks were stepping across roadways and getting killed left and right.

The way it was stopped was by adopting j-walking laws.

We need to start citing folks more often, because the casual attitude toward it these days will again rear its ugly head.

But drivers need to slow down in pedestrian flush areas too.

Electrics should have a city mode where acelleration and top speed get limited. Driver setpoints, of course.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:q9spk6$vfe$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Nope. Can't see that at all.

Folks simply have to be more attentive, AND drivers need to be held accountable as well.

Cars simply should be 'governed' when in 'in town' areas.

The stats for the accidents and the deliberated events are out there.

You see sounders. No... I see devices where 'in town' regions have radio devices which set your car's controller to a city mode when you are in those regions.

A 120mph car has no business having a full bore 'gas pedal' available for the operator to 'make a mistake' with when in a heavy pedestrian filled zone.

Then again, if you have ever seen seven lanes of traffic zipping across 125th street in Harlem, your adrenaline would trickle if you were in it. Especially when seven lanes autosqueeze into six when a double parked car is encountered. That shit is scary, and you could have IMAX video of an NYC taxi hitting your car and still never recover even if the courts find in your favor. Those bastards just don't care. Best not to own a car if you live in 'the city' (talking about NYC or course).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

I posted on this.

I also suggested the 'shut down mode' that we are seeing commercials about on TV. I said that car controllers should have a cop activated shutdown mode. I suggested that ten years ago.

And the TV spot showed the cop waiting till he thought there was a safety issue. No. If you have a pursuit start, it is time to hit the shut down switch. No waiting.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:q9tf2g$vfe$4@dont- email.me:

You 'cherish' some silly shit.

Good hearing or not, I look before I traverse across a path that I am the one breeching the boundary of.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

This is untrue as said noise differs from tire to tire, unrelated to car speed. The factor is the tread design, and previous wear can make a badly aligned front end tire a bit noisier.

Generally, however, the tread design is the only factor for the speed a given design starts growling out audibly.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

With all the nav gear onboard I reckon an automatic warning would be a snap to implement for those situations.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

bitrex wrote in news:4zuwE.164894$ snipped-for-privacy@fx20.iad:

Already seen one up at the Walmart. But $30k!??? There really are a lot of suckers out there.

Home built Harley trikes are way better.

For $30k... damn I could build a pretty nice trike.

FrankenTrike!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I don't see how they get it to weigh so much. it weighs the better part of 2000 lbs, almost as much as a Lotus Elise, which has four wheels and airbags and all that stuff. even with the stock Pontiac Solstice engine it's probably underpowered, like the stock Pontiac Solstice was...

Reply to
bitrex

Care to expand on that?

Cursitor Doom