OT: Cell call, faked number

Got a call, was busy so had to call back. Guess what? the caller, 1(480)288-8013 is "Unassigned Number". WTF?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yeah, so what? Scammers and spammers. What do you expect?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Useful site.

Note the format.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

THIS is a job for the NSA...

the NSA gets billions in tax money,, lets put it to some good use.

makolber

On a _cell_ phone?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Wonder if Trump will resume enforcement of the Do Not Call rules?

Obama certainly only enforced laws that would benefit Democrats. ...Jim Thompson

Are there many fixed lines remaining in the US outside offices?

Reply to
Rob

Sure, why not?

The cell-phone system, like the land-line phone system, depends on the "sending end" to accurately identify the number of the phone which is placing the call. If the sending end transmits a bogus number, your cell phone will display a bogus number.

Unfortunately for accountability, it's trivially easy to place a phone call with a forged originating number. Quite a few voice-over-IP providers, and I rather suspect a lot of out-of-the-US phone companies, will allow the caller to set the "caller ID" number information to values which don't correspond to any number the caller owns or controls.

A high percentage of "boiler room", or as my wife calls them "sales slime" unsolicited commercial calls, come via routes of this sort and carry bogus caller-ID information.

As to calling a cell phone with a spam/scam call - again, why not - what's to stop them? Such scammers routinely ignore the provisions of the federal and state Do Not Call laws, as they know these laws are essentially toothless... and many of them call from outside the US, making enforcement even more problematic. Hey, they're trying to rip us off in any number of ways - why would we expect them to honor the law?

Reply to
Dave Platt

A cell phone is not a phone?

--

Rick C
Reply to

What an idiot!

--

Rick C
Reply to

By all means, let's forget some of those terrorists and go for the spam callers. You need to have your priorities straight.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Just google the number. Consumers Service I think that's the one that's going to lower the interest rate on my non existent credit card debt.

Mike

amdx

NSA is spying on everyone anyway so just define spam calling as terrorism

a few drones ought to fix the problem quickly

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

If they went after the spam callers and fined them, there would be plenty of money to pursue terrorists.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

first you need to get the money out of india,

Jasen Betts

"Do not call" for at least the last 20 years has been a massive fraud and joke. If you play a sucker and mistakenly put yourself on that, the BS calls from marketeers and collectors will at least double; takes 2-3 years to slowly decrease toward the "normal" frequency one "enjoyed" before.

It is remotely possible that pattern has changed in the past 5 years.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not any more, with CRAY 4-D CAD capability..

Reply to
Robert Baer

We can build a wall around India's telephones and make India pay for it.

--

Rick C
Reply to

...especially since many of those "terrorists" have been faked by the NSA, FBI, etc to make their "nab" rate higher (justify their budget).

Reply to
Robert Baer