OT: Canadian vs US Dollars in Movies

With the Canadian dollar > US dollar, does this mean international spy movies will now show cash transactions with suitcases of Canadian dollars? :P

Scene 1 Brazil

James Bond: "Got the cash?" Bad Guy: Opens suitcase.. "10 million Canadian dollars" James Bond: "Excellent."

Note: 10 million Canadian is currently 10,196,000.00 US

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Or Euros. According to "all things considered" the US dollar may be losing it's place as the world's currency.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Euros are preferred to either for large cash transactions-- the EUR

500 note is worth almost USD 750 (CAD 700 or so). The largest common US note is worth only CAD 97 or so. Very convenient for spies and gangsters (and the type of government that flies around hundreds of tons of stolen money strapped to pallets, for that matter).

The USD has to have the most worthless folding currency of any developed country. The smallest paper CAD note is worth US 5.25 and they're talking about replacing that with a coin, so the smallest would be a ten. IIRC, the smallest EUR note is worth almost USD7.50. The smallest EUR or CAD note will about pay for a decent sandwhich. It seems odd that you need more than one banknote to pay for a sandwich (or even an ordinary coffee with the USD).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The 500? note is also known as the "Bin Laden", rarely seen

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

We have the option of using dollar bills or dollar coins. The bills are a lot more popular, it being a lot nicer to have, say, eight thin, quiet pieces of paper in your wallet than eight big jangly coins in your pocket.

John

Yeah, but coins just never caught on. They tried silver dollars, Susan B. Anthonys and Sacagaweas, and I'm probably forgetting earlier coins too.

Tim

Tim Williams

If you manage your currency reasonably, there's little reason to have more than a couple times the next higher denomination. So a couple $2 coins or a $2 and a $1 and a five are not bad. Unless you're cleaning out the couch cushions, when $15 or $20 might show up. I don't know why the $2 was left out (or I guess more correctly is so unpopular) in the US currency sequence:

1 2 5 10 20 50 100.. ^

If it was worth anything, a two cent coin would make sense too.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Every other country has done it by eliminating the paper currency at the same time as the coin was introduced. People bitch for a short time then they prefer the coins. The US gov't did a study on it (google if you're interested).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

$2 bills ARE still in circulation.

Not that it matters... who uses currency to any extent anymore? I hardly even write checks... I pay most of my bills thru web-based banking.

...Jim Thompson

WHO prefers coins? Only government paisanos.

...Jim Thompson

Ever use vending machines? Newspaper boxes? Bill acceptors work maybe half the time.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I can't remember when I last used a vending machine of any sort. Airport malls all take plastic, and I prefer sit-down meals with a waitress... I don't tolerate fast food.

...Jim Thompson

Well you don't *need* more than one banknote... a $10 bill should pay for a sandwich and/or a coffee most of the time.

Then you dread getting all the change...

Buy something for 99 cents (a burger, or something) then with tax (out here) that works out to $1.07. Pay two bucks, get 93 cents in change. Almost makes you want to pay with a credit card just to avoid getting the change.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

US currency is "managed" mostly by popular preferences.

We have coins of 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 cents. One rarely sees the

50 cent or dollar coins. Pennies are essentially free; some businesses just round change to the nearest nickel. Many places have a dish of pennies by the cash register, and people make random donations and withdrawals. When I was a kid, in Louisiana, dimes were rare, because pay phones used to cost a nickel.

Bills come as 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100. Two-dollar bills are considered unlucky... I haven't seen one in at least a year. 50's are rare. ATM's dish out 20's, so they are the universal tender.

John

Are you saying that people are too dumb to pay $5.36 for a $3.36 purchase in order to get $2 exact change? I find that hard to believe. Surely most of us manage our in-pocket currency to actively minimize the number of pennies and nickels we retain. And $1 bills or coins. I could probably write the algorithm down if I gave it some thought.

I hate having a big stack of 20's in my wallet. Fortunately ATMs now have 50's so you don't get stuck with too much chickenfeed. A lot of people pay by credit card (or, more popular in Canada) direct debit from bank account, for most things.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That's what I do, direct debit for all my personal stuff, credit cards with beneficial kick-backs for all my business expenses.

...Jim Thompson

People were never happy about the SB Anthonys. They are too easy to confuse with quarters.

The Sacagaweas, were popular for a while. I think what killed them off were the cases of SB Anthonys that banks ordered but nobody wanted. They started rolling them in with the Sacagaweas so when businesses ordered dollar coins, they got both. So, they quit ordering dollar coins altogether. Except for the Post Office. They still hand out both.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Procrastinators: The leaders for tomorrow.

Is that a euphemism, Jim?

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Sno-o-o-o-ort ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

It's a big world. Some people are dumb, and some aren't.

Some people derive personal pride from the currency their country uses; some derive pride from the line voltage and the AC outlets. Those people had no creative input to either.

John