(OT) Can't find Louisiana on a map

WASHINGTON - Despite the wall-to-wall coverage of the damage from Hurricane Katrina, nearly one-third of young Americans recently polled couldn't locate Louisiana on a map and nearly half were unable to identify Mississippi.

Unfortunately, the "study" did not distinguish between male and female youths.

"Nearly half" were unable to identify Mississippi? You mean, some women could actually *read* a *map*?????

Shocking. ;)

Reply to
mrdarrett

When someone asked me where I grew up and I said Germany he said "Ah, ain't that somewhere near Paris?" .... "Um, yeah...". Then again, maybe he meant Paris, TX.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I read this article. It's mind-boggling that college students are this stupid.

Reply to
hondgm

When I was at UC Davis, I sat in a finance class once. The professor congratulated us for getting admitted to UC Davis - only 10% or so were qualified to be admitted, he said.

I didn't fully appreciate what he'd said until I graduated. In the university, you get used to hanging around people with functioning brains. ;)

Reply to
mrdarrett

Besides the obvious customs hassles and language barriers, dealing with New Mexico is difficult because the truck tires are all a different size and spacing. Everything has to be reloaded at the border crossings.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

That's nothing... 95% don't know about the Bill of Rights :-(

And even some Europeons think, if we don't choose a President, we revert back to being a colony ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Fredricksburg, TX, IS a very nice German town ;-)

Threw a A/C belt there one summer, so the wife and I stopped at a VERY NICE German restaurant while a shop was replacing ALL my belts.

...Jim Thompson

I've never really experienced that much German cuisine. What did you have to eat.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

eat.

Authentically prepared wiener schnitzel, green beans and spaetzle.

On another trip I had venison stew.

...Jim Thompson

eat.

I misspelled... should be Fredericksburg...

...Jim Thompson

Hello Graham,

:-)))

eat.

There is some good stuff and some not so good food. My favorite is "Rouladen". Can't describe it, you'd have to ask someone German to make a few (lots of work). Then there are the cholesterol bombs such as this one:

Don't eat that if you suffer from any kind of acid reflux problem. If you have such food on a regular basis you probably aren't going to need much in terms of retirement funds. Also, be prepared that you table mates look away in disgust when it's served, just like they'd do if a Haggis was brought in.

Please don't tell my relatives in Germany but my favorite restaurants in Germany are Greek restaurants.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

eat.

My wife makes them ;-)

The food was so-so, but I ate with my son's in-laws at My Big Fat Greek Restaurant last week... the wine, Naoussa Boutari, was OUTSTANDING. I'm trying to find it in a liquor store, so far unsuccessful :-(

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Sure they do... they think you just pay it with a credit card.

Considering our recent "success" at electing Presidents, that may not be such a bad idea.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

I can't imagine Europe wants to be burdened by you any more than the reverse.

The common thread in all that though, is that people are, on average, pretty bloody average.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

The truly scary bit, given how disappointing average is, is that a whole damn half of them are *below* average ! ;-)

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

If not more so.

John

eat.

Knockwurst ala king.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

eat.

Retsina is at best an acquired taste.

Wine with pine tar in it.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Fully 50 percent of North Dakota school children are below average.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

eat.

Naoussa Boutari is NOT retsina.

Now I have a Latvian friend who's fond of such stuff... sings rather well after a few bottles ;-)

...Jim Thompson