OT: But REALLY Good Read...

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

...soon to be dismissed as "Fake News" by the usual suspects.

I find it interesting that the Left celebrates their Colbert Report but f ail to notice that Rush Limbaugh is his exact Right parallel. It's often be en claimed that Colbert was the Left's "answer" to Limbaugh, but without th e Left there would have been no need for Limbaugh.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson hasn't noticed that Fox News wasn't created to supply the real news that the main stream media wasn't deliverin g, but rather as a source of the kind of fake news that right-wing nitwits liked to read.

There's a whole US industry supplying rich Republicans with the kind of del uded rubbish that keeps them happy - "The Bell Curve" was published to sati sfy that particular market, and John Larkin posts recommendations for simil ar rubbish at regular intervals.

Anybody who thinks that Rush Limbaugh is a journalist - as opposed to a pan der to right-wing prejudices - isn't to be taken seriously.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson has demonstrated that he isn't be be taken seriously so frequently that it's almost unnecessary to point it out again.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

fail to notice that Rush Limbaugh is his exact Right parallel. It's often been claimed that Colbert was the Left's "answer" to Limbaugh, but without the Left there would have been no need for Limbaugh.

40% true, 40% mostly true, 20% mostly false

0% true, 5% mostly true, 14% half-true, 24% mostly false, 30% false and 27% pants on fire.

The "parallel" does break down when you consider the reliability of what th ey say. Rush says stuff that makes right-wingers happy, most of it wrong, a nd Stephen Colbert says stuff that appeals to liberals, most of it correct.

The right is looking for the feel-good factor, and liberals are more intere sted in information.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I don't normally respond to shit-headed-leftist Slowman, but Fox news viewer ratings often equal ALL of the other "news" sources COMBINED.

So are you saying the majority of the US citizens are "out-of-touch"?

The one who is out-of-touch, due to metal illness is you, Bill Slowman... Slow for slo-o-o-o-ow mental capacity. ...Jim Thompson

                Men are born ignorant, not stupid.
                They are made stupid by education.

                                            -Bertrand Russell

't created to supply the real news that the main stream media wasn't delive ring, but rather as a source of the kind of fake news that right-wing nitwi ts liked to read.

deluded rubbish that keeps them happy - "The Bell Curve" was published to s atisfy that particular market, and John Larkin posts recommendations for si milar rubbish at regular intervals.

pander to right-wing prejudices - isn't to be taken seriously.

be taken seriously so frequently that it's almost unnecessary to point it out again.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson hasn't thought through the implicati ons of Fox News being an entertainment channel, with the content being chos en for viewer appeal, rather than news content.

Fox News is designed to be more appealing that actual news sources, and - s ince it appears to be uninhibited by any consideration of making the "news" it publishes accurate or representative, as opposed to "appealing" - it's not all that surprising that it appeal to more people. Half the population has an IQ less than 100, and that's a large - if not all that discriminatin g - potential market.

Dumb people don't have a lot of money to spend, so advertisers do look for programs that appeal to the rich rather than the merely numerous, and by go ing for right-wing viewers, Fox fills in that bit of their demographic.

Absolutely. US society doesn't spend nearly enough on education, so it look s as if they like the consequences of that choice. The US is a very inegali tarian society, and the people who do best out of it don't seem to see much point in encouraging the rest of the population to thing about difficult t hings like social justice or maximising the productivity of society as a wh ole.

Pity about that. Jim Thompson used to be able to score as high on IQ tests as I did, but he narrowed down his areas of interest at a very early age, a nd all that potential has been concentrated exclusively on designing merely adequate integrated circuits ever since.

He's done well - for a back-country red-neck - but the rest of the world ha s higher standards.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to