OT: Browser sniffing for profit

Please forgive me for butting in with an unrelated topic. Someone I know had been using "old" versions of FF (i think 39?) and IE (i think 8), and had/have a banking account with Wells Fargo.

Recently, they tried to log in (to check balance and clearing of checks).

Well i know a number of presumedly SEO-types bitch about browser sniffing ("do not do it,not reliable"; stupid crap like that). The site obviously has browser sniffing.

He got a screen not only complaining about not having a CURRENT version, but _demanded_ payment to get a current version of FF, IE, Chrome, or the Apple browser (do not know name).

PAYMENT? For a free browser? WTF?

That person did not want to pay (can you blame him?) but needed to log into his Wells Fargo account.

About 2 minutes after he mentioned that mess to me, i had asked his FF to upgrade to the latest, and he is running fine now. At ZERO cost, except the frustration and being pissed off by Wells Fargo.

Q: What Fed authorities can one take that complaint to (and have action done against Wells Fargo)?

Advice: If you have an account with Wells Fargo, change it now (or even yesterday).

Reply to
Robert Baer

HTML injection is another tatic used. I never bank online.

Martin Riddle