If the bird hasn't been salted to death already.

You bet! It's surprising how good food can taste if it's not layered in salt. The problem is that other's cooking tends to be too salty. Ham is particularly bad.

Reply to
krw

The food they gave me three Thanksgivings ago (well, I was in CICU _on_ Thanksgiving) wasn't awful. It was bland and there was too little to bother with.

Cranberry Sauce? (I hate cranberry sauce)

Reply to
krw

On 2017-11-27 13:28, George Herold wrote: > bullion

Ant

Fur crying out loud. Doncha know that a professional farmer will look to see if the calf is wearing a "STARTER BRA" before he gets out the knife.... :)

Reply to
oldschool

I spent three days in the ICU/trauma ward at SF General. The medical and nursing were fabulous. The food was mainly inedible. Why not some simple sandwiches or something?

Ditto. Repulsive glop, to smear on good food.

Pumpkin goo too.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I was hospitalized for nine days and lost about 20lbs, doing pretty much nothing but sitting in bed. I've been in overnight a couple of times in the last year and had nothing to eat either time. We just stopped at a restaurant on the way home.

So it can't be any worse canned.

Ditto. Pumpkin anything is gross.

Reply to
krw

Cranberry sauce is the 'acid' in the mix. I've been snacking on triscuits (a salty cracker), cranberry sauce, turkey, and sharp cheddar cheese. Yumm.. Is a can any worse/ better than a jar?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Glass is pretty inert chemically; metals aren't. Nowadays, cans are often coated inside with epoxy and Bisphenol A and stuff.

A few year-old things taste OK, like cherry preserves maybe, but not many.

lunatic fringe electronics

Why don't you post this junk somewhere else?

Why don't you do electronics any more? ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Not everyone. Some medications wash sodium and Potassium out of your system. I use about 1.5 pounds of salt a month, and take daily potassium supplements to keep both in the low end of the normal range.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

I see more broth in paper cartons, than cans.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

That's not a medically based opinion. Too much salt in your diet gives you high blood pressure, and the medico's will give you diuretics to get you to flush it out - which takes potassium with it, which can be a bad idea.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That may be a medically based opinion, but not a scientifically based one.

Recent research has shown that the old advice (excess sodium --> high BP) is specious at best, and wasn't based on actual studies.

Modern recommendation is to eat what feels right. For the most part, your body knows what it needs -- listen to it!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

I bought this book for Xmas,

Which I think (I haven't read it) says that the Atkins diet is mostly right. The insulin response to sugar/ carb's causes fat to be stored.

You will do better(less fat) having bacon and eggs for breakfast, rather than oatmeal with raisins.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

you

a.

.

is

Got a link to that research?

What you say sort of echoes this

but that does refer to real research, which says that the link between exce ss sodium and higher blood pressure is real, but weak - on average. Some pa tients show quite large effects, and others show none.

Going on a low salt diet doesn't seem to make a significant difference to s urvival but people die from all sorts of different causes, and it's difficu lt to look at large enough numbers of patients to be able to get enough dea ths from things that high sodium levels are supposed to make worse

Sadly, you rapidly adapt to high levels of salt, and won't notice that you are taking in more than you need.

It's a notorious problem in the cooking trade, and cheapish sodium ion moni tors get used to make sure that person checking the seasoning hasn't got us ed to an excessively high salt level.

Sometimes it doesn't. That's sort of half-witted formula that Jamie spouts.

The

website is more of the same. It is fairly clearly de signed to tell people things that won't put them off reading more (and the associated advertisements). It's interested enough in sounding scientific t o provides links to published data, but the in only one I could be bothered to follow up, the main conclusion in the published article was that there wan't enough data available to say anything particularly conclusive, which wasn't the conclusion that the healthline article picked out.

Trump isn't the only performer on the public stage who is more interested i n keeping the attention of their audience than they are in giving them good information.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

s you

you

dea.

ne.

P) is

It was tested by actual studies, which mainly suggested that you need a lot more subjects than most researchers can afford if you want to get statisti cally significant results. On average more sodium does mean a slightly high er blood pressure, but there's a lot of individual variation.

our

Tell the patient what they want to hear ...

It's worth noting that bacon and eggs is a more expensive breakfast, and th e food trade likes people to spend more on what they eat.

There's very little fat in oatmeal or raisins, but quite a lot of sugar - a lbeit not is a state that will give you a sugar rush. Bacon and eggs may b e better for you, but they do deliver a lot more fat than oatmeal and raisi ns (though if you put milk or - even worse - cream on your oatmeal you may get close).

Processed foods do tend to contain a lot of easily accessible sugar, and th at does seem to cause problems.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

you never know, some people eat odd things :)

Reply to
tabbypurr

ves you

t you

idea.

one.

BP) is

ot more subjects than most researchers can afford if you want to get statis tically significant results. On average more sodium does mean a slightly hi gher blood pressure, but there's a lot of individual variation.

your

the food trade likes people to spend more on what they eat.

albeit not is a state that will give you a sugar rush. Bacon and eggs may be better for you, but they do deliver a lot more fat than oatmeal and rai sins (though if you put milk or - even worse - cream on your oatmeal you ma y get close).

that does seem to cause problems. Taubes' ideas are not without controversy.

GH

Reply to
George Herold

Grin, there are some desserts that have gold leaf.

GH

Reply to
George Herold