OT broth

Don't throw that turkey away! Or feed it all to the dog. There's nothing like a good rich home-made turkey broth. I've got maybe a half gallon on the way now. Some of that will be frozen into ice cubes, so I can toss a few into anything whenever.

Commercial chicken broth is salty MSG swill.

lunatic fringe electronics

Turkey? It's not even Xmas yet

Reply to
gyansorova

Turkey for Christmas? Christmas is Prime Rib!

Reply to
krw

...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

My wife does up 3-4 chickens at a time, cutting them into breasts, thighs, drum-sticks, etc, freezes the parts, then "brews" the carcass and freezes the broth.

Yep. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I'm thinking seriously about doing a Beef Wellington, Filet De Boeuf En Croute in French. And maybe a bit of salmon in pastry on the side for certain ladies who don't like essentially-raw meat.

This week, of course, turkey and dumplings, with the fresh broth.

lunatic fringe electronics

I think that the bird should have a lot of meat left to make good broth... not just bones. With four people for dinner and a 13.5 lb turkey, that works out.

lunatic fringe electronics

Christmas dinner main course is roast ham, and the tree stays up until Epiphany.

Reply to
bitrex

The last week saw, in chronological order:

- Turkey, butchered into carcass and meats

- Meats marinated, then grilled; carcass boiled for ~2qt stock

- A little turkey broth used for stir fry (broccoli, jalapenos, onion, carrot, etc., broth + soy sauce + corn starch, served over noodles)

- Pumpkin pie (practice pie, with 1/2 c bourbon added)

- Pumpkin chocolate chip pie

- Pecan chocolate chip pie

- Turkey broth, carrot, potato, onion, red cabbage, celery, large can tomatoes, gravy packet from turkey: combined for soup

- Pumpkin chocolate chip pie traded with family for plain pumpkin with gingersnap crust; additional turkey obtained

- Turkey added to soup, also pasta

- Also obtained canned "very hot" chili from family

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC

"John Larkin"  wrote in message
> Don't throw that turkey away! Or feed it all to the dog. There's
> nothing like a good rich home-made turkey broth. I've got maybe a half
> gallon on the way now. Some of that will be frozen into ice cubes, so
> I can toss a few into anything whenever.
>
> Commercial chicken broth is salty MSG swill.
>

> --
>
> John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc
>
> lunatic fringe electronics

Reply to
Tim Williams

Xmas was banned here in Scotland for 400 years until 1958. I can see some point in that now - bah humbug.

My father worked on Xmas Day, I also remember working on Boxing Day until about 1975.

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to

For others wishing to try it, here are recipies for homemade bone broth, including turkey: Benefits of Gelatin Rich Homemade Bone Broth (Recipe + VIDEO)

Most stuff that you buy in food stores is saturated with MSG. They try to disguise it with different names. Here are some names of ingredients that contain processed free glutamic acid (MSG):

autolyzed plant protein autolyzed yeast calcium caseinate glutamate hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP) hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) maltodextrin monopotassium glutamate sodium caseinate soy protein concentrate textured protein yeast food or nutrient yeast extract

Names of ingredients that always contain processed free glutamic acid:

Ajinomoto Any "hydrolyzed protein" Anything "enzyme modified" Anything "fermented" Anything "hydrolyzed" Anything "protein" Anything "protein fortified" Anything containing "enzymes" Anything containing "protease" Autolyzed yeast Calcium caseinate Calcium glutamate (E 623) Gelatin Glutamate (E 620) Glutamic acid (E 620)2 Magnesium glutamate (E 625) Monoammonium glutamate (E 624) Monopotassium glutamate (E 622) Monosodium glutamate (E 621) Natrium glutamate Sodium caseinate Soy protein Soy protein concentrate Soy protein isolate Soy sauce Soy sauce extract Textured protein Torula yeast Umami Vetsin Whey protein Whey protein concentrate Whey protein isolate Yeast extract Yeast food Yeast nutrient

Names of ingredients that often contain or produce processed free glutamic acid during processing:

Any "flavors" or "flavoring" Anything "ultra-pasteurized" Barley malt Bouillon and broth Brewer's yeast Carrageenan (E 407) Citric acid, Citrate (E 330) Malt extract Malted barley Maltodextrin Natural flavor Oligodextrin Pectin (E 440) Seasonings Stock

The following are ingredients suspected of containing or creating sufficient processed free glutamic acid to serve as MSG-reaction triggers in HIGHLY SENSITIVE people:

Annatto anything "enriched" anything "pasteurized" anything "vitamin enriched" Balsamic vinegar Brown rice syrup Corn starch Corn syrup Dextrose Lipolyzed butter fat Milk powder Modified food starch most things "low fat" or "no fat" Reduced fat milk (skim; 1%; 2%) Rice syrup Vinegar

Steve Wilson

Those lists are insane. Who cares if it ends up being MSG if it occurs naturally!

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Enjoy:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You say that like salt and MSG are bad things. I'm just learning to love salt again. (Try this cook book, "Salt, fat, acid and heat") I'm working on my 'conveyor belt chicken' recipe*.

So after stripping off obvious excess meat I stuck our turkey breast** into a pot with left over celery and other old veggies. I simmered it, let stand and now it's in my frig.

What should I make with it?

George H.

*de-boned chicken thighs, are placed skin side down in pan with some oil (~3-big Tee's, I use bacon fat.) let cook with medium high heat, with another pot placed on top so that it presses down on the thighs. They rend and cook in their own fat.. nice crispy skin. I put water in the pot on top so it presses down more on the thighs. After about 10-15 minutes the top pot is removed, thighs flipped over and cooked on the other side for ~2 min.

** not that many at Thanksgiving this year so only a boob.

Reply to
George Herold

But most canned broth is salt water with MSG that someone briefly swished a chicken leg in.

I think that our body knows how much salt it needs. And knows how to excrete any extra.

Simmer some raviolis or torts in broth. "Pasta brodo".

Chicken or turkey and dumplings, with lots of broth.

Pot pie: broth, onions, potatoes, carrots, peas, chicken or turkey, spices, cooked then baked with top pie crust.

Freeze in an ice cube tray and keep frozen cubes in a ziploc. Toss into any sauce or soup that needs extra flavor.

lunatic fringe electronics

Salt helps meat in lots of ways. (and if a little too salty you just drink a bit more beer. :^)

Ohh, Dumplings. I haven't had those since my gran-mother died, (~20-30 years).

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If everything is working properly. Maybe. Salt *does* increase BP, which isn't good. Many have compromised kidneys, caused by increased BP. Kidneys then can't remove the extra salt. Repeat to death.

Reply to
krw

Den mandag den 27. november 2017 kl. 02.06.46 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

Turkey seems like a rather bland bird for broth, basically breed for maximum amount of meat as fast a possible with little taste

much of it is, but you can get good stuff

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I agree but the family doesn't. I am outnumbered.

Reply to
jurb6006

here is it is pretty much mandatory to have pork roast with crackling and/or duck, served with white and caramelized potatoes, gravy and red cabbage