OT: Bolton is deeply unpopular pick among ZH readers

[snip]

Aren't you having trouble wading thru all the shit you've spewed this afternoon ?>:-}

I actually qualified for admission to the Air Force... polio only made me short ;-)

Here I was, 17 years old, and determined to ESCAPE West Virginia.

So, besides the Air Force, I applied to a fist-full of engineering schools.

I'll probably miss some university here, but I recall scholarship offers from Carnegie, Case, U of Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Cal Tech....... and MIT.

Of course I jumped at the MIT offer.

I left West Virginia in August of 1958 and have never looked back. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

[snip]

Appears so. The one I remember was a mine, when stepped-on, popped-up to around shoulder height, then blew... nasty. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

There was something called the Bouncing Betty that did that.

U.S. developed one too and called same name.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-personnel_mine#Bounding

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

t numbers corresponded to birth dates.)[27] As a result of the Johnson and Nixon administrations' decisions to rely largely on the draft rather than o n the reserve forces, joining a Guard or Reserve unit became a way to avoid service in the Vietnam War.[28] Bolton enlisted in the Maryland Army Natio nal Guard in 1970 rather than wait to find out if his draft number would be called.[29] (The highest number called to military service was 195.)[30] A fter serving in the National Guard for four years, he served in the United States Army Reserve until the end of his enlistment two years later.[31] He wrote in his Yale 25th reunion book "I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy. I considered the war in Vietnam already lost." [32] In an interview, Bolton discussed his comment in the reunion book, exp laining that he decided to avoid service in Vietnam because "by the time I was about to graduate in

ertain we could not prevail, and that I had no great interest in going ther e to have Teddy Kennedy give it back to the people I might die to take it a way from."[33][34]

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson makes his own bid to become group bu ffoon.

That honour belongs to krw, who doesn't know much, and tests other peoples opinions purely on the basis that they line up with his own.

Jim Thompson and John Larkin are more aware of the outside world, but they pick and choose what they take seriously on the basis of how well it lines up with their own prejudices, which is essentially krw's strategy.

James Arthur publishes a lot of idiot misconceptions, but he's more of a pr opaganda robot than an actual person.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

aft numbers corresponded to birth dates.)[27] As a result of the Johnson an d Nixon administrations' decisions to rely largely on the draft rather than on the reserve forces, joining a Guard or Reserve unit became a way to avo id service in the Vietnam War.[28] Bolton enlisted in the Maryland Army Nat ional Guard in 1970 rather than wait to find out if his draft number would be called.[29] (The highest number called to military service was 195.)[30] After serving in the National Guard for four years, he served in the Unite d States Army Reserve until the end of his enlistment two years later.[31] He wrote in his Yale 25th reunion book "I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy. I considered the war in Vietnam already lost ."[32] In an interview, Bolton discussed his comment in the reunion book, e xplaining that he decided to avoid service in Vietnam because "by the time I was about to graduate in

certain we could not prevail, and that I had no great interest in going th ere to have Teddy Kennedy give it back to the people I might die to take it away from."[33][34]

buffoon.

s opinions purely on the basis that they line up with his own.

y pick and choose what they take seriously on the basis of how well it line s up with their own prejudices, which is essentially krw's strategy.

propaganda robot than an actual person.

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Sadly, West Virginia never left him. He got the technical education he craved, but culturally he's still an ignorant redneck.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

.org:

:

Draft numbers corresponded to birth dates.)[27] As a result of the Johnson and Nixon administrations' decisions to rely largely on the draft rather th an on the reserve forces, joining a Guard or Reserve unit became a way to a void service in the Vietnam War.[28] Bolton enlisted in the Maryland Army N ational Guard in 1970 rather than wait to find out if his draft number woul d be called.[29] (The highest number called to military service was 195.)[3

0] After serving in the National Guard for four years, he served in the Uni ted States Army Reserve until the end of his enlistment two years later.[31 ] He wrote in his Yale 25th reunion book "I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy. I considered the war in Vietnam already lo st."[32] In an interview, Bolton discussed his comment in the reunion book, explaining that he decided to avoid service in Vietnam because "by the tim e I was about to graduate in

it certain we could not prevail, and that I had no great interest in going there to have Teddy Kennedy give it back to the people I might die to take it away from."[33][34]

p buffoon.

les opinions purely on the basis that they line up with his own.

hey pick and choose what they take seriously on the basis of how well it li nes up with their own prejudices, which is essentially krw's strategy.

a propaganda robot than an actual person.

Probably not, but how could I tell? The problem with James Arthur is that h e has clearly read a lot, but he endorse such lunatic nonsense - such as th e US second amendment being a force for political stability - that he equal ly clearly doesn't process what he reads.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Of course he would. John Larkin likes Trump too.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bolton was part of the crew that orchestrated the invasion of Irak.

Definitely a robust confrontation, but also a total waste of money and lives.

Somebody with the capacity to find better solutions that trying to kill the opponent might be a better choice, but Trump isn't going to hire anybody who leaves him feeling confused.

The Daily Mail feeds Cursitor Doom the kind of news that Cursitor Doom finds comforting. So Cursitor Doom ends up happy, but ill-informed.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Tony Schwartz wrote it for Donald Trump in 1987. Trump hasn't got the attention span to write anything longer than a tweet.

Starting with firing Trump. Anybody whose deal history includes a lot of projects that went bankrupt has to be really bad choice as negotiator in chief.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

He doesn't seem to have dropped any sarin recently. There were reports that he'd reverted to dropping drums of chlorine, but chlorine is a much more common chemical, and it's correspondingly harder to confirm the reports.

The federal budget deficit is even larger than it was, and the prospect of two egocentric bullies negotiating directly isn't appealing.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

In practice, this means blockading the USA (which has been too big for its boots for quite a while now). The US population may resent being deprived o f all those Chinese-manufactured consumer goods, and US manufacturing may t ake a while to tool up for high-volume manufacturing - not that they would have access to the international markets that would justify really high-vol ume manufacturing.

Trade wars hurt everybody, but the rest of the world is a bigger block than the US.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Oh right, the guy who never saw a war someone else's kid would have to fight he wouldn't lie to start. What dark ritual did they have to perform to raise this old ghoul out of his crypt? I thought it would be at least a few more months until the moon was in its proper position in the 8th House of Aquarius.

Reply to
bitrex

Touche!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I love the way Democrats call you a chickenhawk if you don't want to participate in their foreign policy fuckups. But they don't mind if Clinton marched in a Moscow protest.

It was astonishing that Ted Kennedy said Iraq was Bush's Vietnam, seemingly oblivious that he was begging the question of who's Vietnam he considered Vietnam to be.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

He didn't give their lives, Democrats did. Then, to prevent Nixon from being seen as the savior of their fuckup, they cut off supply to the South and made their deaths retroactively in vain.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

That's what makes him one of the best there is.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Presumably the connotation was negative, so at what point did Vietnam start to go t*ts-up? And is it the Chief at that point who was to blame, or the Chief who started it? Or deserted it in '75?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No different from your wonderful Hillary, then.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's a different point. Even if correct, that point does nothing to excuse Bolton's behaviour.

"Two wrongs don't make a right"

Reply to
Tom Gardner