OT: Blocking websites

Firefox 46.0.1

I have an annoying website, kt9267.com specifically, an advertising site that is launched as a separate window when I access The Washington Examiner.

It does nothing because NoScript stops it from loading any ads, but it's an annoying window I have to close.

Is there some kind of blocker add-on that will prevent the launch?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I don't see this pop-up. I'm using the Pale-Moon browser with Better Privacy, No Script and Ghostery. I also have block pop up window set in Options.

Reply to
Wanderer

[snip]

You have to click on a subtopic before kt9267.com attempts to launch.

And the question is about Firefox, NOT Pale-Moon ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I just clicked on Yellen's comment from within Firefox:

It tried to start all kinds of stuff but not kt9267. There are also no popups and the like. I used Ghostery which lets me to select what I want to allow. Ran a virus check lately?

That made me chuckle: Quote "Harvard economics professor N. Gregory Mankiw, joked that she would have to keep her comments short in order for traders waiting on her remarks to be able to catch helicopters to the Hamptons for the weekend".

I instantly thought about this ...

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I followed your link, nothing but the Yellen article. Then I clicked a subtopic and kt9267 tries to launch.

Ran a full scan last evening... clean. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Which subtopic? I clicked on a few links in there and no kt9267.

The Clinton link was interesting. I couldn't believe the "defense" I read in our paper yesterday but that deposition showed it again, along the lines of "But the others did it, too!". I wonder how that would fly in traffic court. "Your honor, all the others were also going 85mph".

Rootkits, too?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Geographic based advertising.

Martin Riddle

Block it from your router?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Ok, but as seen from Washington D.C. our loations of Arizona and California must seem like one big blob. It's all "somewhere out in the Wild West" or "behind the mountains".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

This really happened...

When I was graduating from MIT and announced I was going to Arizona, an MIT professor actually said to me, "There are Indians out there" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

There are probably more Indians at MIT, now.

Reply to
krw

You can figure out a Internet address to about 1/4 mile using a traceroute. Knowing the router locations, and how long the hops take. They've gotten pretty good at it.

Martin Riddle

I've had IT pros do that with me. Some put me in San Francisco which is a good 100mi from here. Some in Sacramento which is still 35mi. On top of that the IP address changes a lot, it's not static.

That might explain why I occasionally see ads from Bay Area car dealers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It's been built into windows since win98.

Art

Reply to
Artemus

Try this site

There are different data bases, accruacy appears to depend upon which one is used.

CHeers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

For my IP address they all have the same answer which is wrong by about 750km. I think xDSL provided over X.25 ATM and X.25 doesn't use IP

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

I'm in Vancouver at the moment, but they all think my phone is in Texas. Of course my laptop is on a VPN to various places. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

AT&T phone? My IPv6 address seems to be in Texas, too.

Reply to
krw

T-Mobile. Dallas, Carrollton, Grand Prairie. I'm actually right on English Bay.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I sincerely apologize for yesterday's weather.

Reply to
Ralph Barone