OT black hole pic.

So was it thought that getting the photons in phase would require a kind of demon?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Is it feasible to get more optical resolution with an array of Hubbles?

Would the light have to be brought into phase to make that work? It's surprising they could do that even at 1.5mm.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:q9i0f2$f00$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I have a rock in my pocket which I found among some aggregate while walking one day. It looks like it took a very long time to get as smooth as it has, and it is so thin, it is rare for one to last that long being that thin. I keep it as a 'luck charm'. I figure it was part of a glacial flow that may have lasted thousands of years many thousands of years ago. Must be really hard media too. Maybe I should post a pic of it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:q9i27h$ogp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

No... she wrote a daemon! ;-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:q9i283$ok7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Absolutely. They already mosaic multiple images, refining more resolves areas of each into a single improved image.

Not likely if all that is desired is optical imagery. The computers can stich things together quite well. Unless you mean something like color accuracy and 'shifts' (phase) etc.

It is pretty "far out" there, eh?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Sounds like it'd be perfect to skip into a pond. :-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yeah, his rock is a piece of shit. I got a Death Valley ventifact that will beat the stuffing out of his lousy thin rock.

Reply to
Nauga

Nauga wrote in news:q9i9or$1jbn$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

I have a 'rock' from the petrified forest.

I have a huge piece of a neutron star too. Made it into a hammer. Think you can lift it?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I hate that stuff. If a tiny bit gets on your fingers, you may as well cut them off. Ditto a tiny spec on a sink or on a workbench.

A glue gun and some epoxy is all a Real Man needs.

Well, maybe some wood glue too.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Shoe Goo is a goof one too! Excellent, in fact, for clear jobs.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It should be easy if multiple 2,5 m space mirrors are connected to the same rigid structure which follow the target.

It is done at least between two nearby telescopes at least in near-IR. One problem is the different atmospheric disturbances between the telescopes.

Reply to
upsidedown

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No. Does not have to be tied together. Only needs to point at and view target from those separated points.

Have you seen those cameras that take a single picture but can be set to multiple focal points after the shot is 'created'?

Think of them as rods and cones of a retina. Exept each of these carries more than a single element. Not a lot though. At a high separation each telescope will represent less pixels each, but more on the final.

It is like watching a nearly blind guy look at his watch. He has to wiggle around the image and his eye to get rods and cone illuminated with the image he wants, because he has to peer around his cataracts.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

One reason hundreds of images are used to compile into one.

In space, the clarity would be a huge boost.

Pretty soon, we should be seeing some JWST images.

However The JWST is far bigger than Hubble is.

Earth is not good for IR observation spaceward.

Better directly from space.

Plenty of birds up there already.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

AIUI it was more of an in-the-box thinking problem. For a thermal system *in equilibrium*, in the limit T->infinity all the level populations are equal, so there's no finite temperature that will get you a population inversion.

However of course it's easy to make non-equilibrium systems.

Until the 1950s it was thought that you couldn't make fringes using light from different sources, either. That was one of those "settled science, 99% of physicists agree" things that turned out to rest on an incorrect interpretation of quantum mechanics. (Not on the math--that ridiculous Copenhagen thing again.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There are large-scale ground-based interferometric optical telescopes today. They have to use a lot of adaptive optics to control for the soupy atmosphere, and special care is needed to get the delays correct.

See e.g. .

It gets harder at shorter wavelengths, of course.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I repaired a frost damaged concrete planter a couple of weeks ago. GG was exactly the right medicine for damp friable concrete.

Agreed about the finger issue though. I expect barrier cream might help--certainly a bit of olive oil keeps your fingers separate till the glue sets up. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nauga wrote in news:q9kkjk$1g42$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Like your mother gummed up the world with you?

It is a rock, dipshit.

I know where and how to get it sliced. Rocks do not exhibit saw blade gumming issues.

The glue only comes in after to attach it to the inlay position.

How to you chumps get so damned convoluted?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Only if you can combine them coherently - which is very difficult.

Michelson & Pease did the very first true optical interferometry back in the 1920's on Mount Wilson - measuring stellar diameters of red giants. It required Michelson's genius level experimental flair to make it work.

Keck can be configured to operate as an optical interferometer and several prototypes like COAST and ALMA and MRO can do it in near IR.

Essentially yes at least to within a sufficiently short time delay to be able to detect interference fringes at the bandwidth being used. The really tedious part is finding those fringes when the raw data is brought together from the disparate antennas to the offline correlators.

There are a couple of get out of jail free cards whereby with 3 or more antennas you can get uncorrupted phase information about the sky even in the presence of bad atmospheric interference called closure phase. Four or more antenna gives you closure amplitudes as well. These are good observables that depend only on what the sky looks like and the geometry of the interferometers making the measurements.

One reason that VLBI can be damaging to instruments is that dropping from N to N-1 antennae loses a lot of information so the big scopes try to stay on track even when storms are approaching. Sometimes they get caught out and are unable to stow the thing safely so take storm damage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown